Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:07 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE View Post
We have also had/have so many email from realtors. Visited several, took many out to eat - nothing in our budget tho! LOL We have decided on purchasing land somewhere and putting a modular home on it too. We visited a beautiful modular home company in Nova Scotia (close to Bridgeport) and they are really very nice. We have also past the years where we enjoyed the idea of fixing up, but we'ren like you now Back we want it already done for us! If you find any extra land that will allow modular homes, please shoot me a DM. Thanks.
You might consider forested 'Treegrowth' land.

Cheap land and low taxes, it would require that you keep it in forest.

We like living in a spot where dense forest is on each side of us.

Few realtors list these types of properties, those realtors who do list them, will generally list them for 10x more than what they normally sell for.

I will Dm you with a forester who handles forest land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 10:15 AM

643 posts, read 1,485,041 times
I wholeheartedly agree, Elcarim. We just sold a house and are leasing one now while we make a "slow move" to the Maine Midcoast this summer. We took a blood bath on the sale and aren't anxious to buy again until and unless we've settled in and know where we want to be for retirement. Plus, we have a daughter entering Bowdoin next year, so we're about to become very frugal (ha, ha).

Old 12-28-2008, 10:57 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
The responsible logical thing to do is rent first. I'm just not responsible or logical though!! And with Maine, we're just looking for a place to vacation. We can't live there until the tortoises die, and they'll probably outlive us, so............

Old 12-28-2008, 11:22 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
The responsible logical thing to do is rent first. I'm just not responsible or logical though!! And with Maine, we're just looking for a place to vacation. We can't live there until the tortoises die, and they'll probably outlive us, so............
I agree.

When I was shopping we lived nearby in Ct. So making runs up to look at properties was easy to do.

Starwalker on the other hand, came up and rented a trailer; while she shopped for a home. That worked out well for her.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:29 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree, Elcarim. We just sold a house and are leasing one now while we make a "slow move" to the Maine Midcoast this summer. We took a blood bath on the sale and aren't anxious to buy again until and unless we've settled in and know where we want to be for retirement. Plus, we have a daughter entering Bowdoin next year, so we're about to become very frugal (ha, ha).
Yep! We're giving our house away, but we're at the point where that is preferable to keeping it and staying here. We're coming out more ahead this way than we'd ever do riding out the market, waiting for the upswing. It's time to get out, so we're getting!

I can't even allow myself to look at "For Sale" homes online. I know I'll fall in love with a house, regardless of location and don't trust myself!

Old 12-28-2008, 01:38 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,017 times
The real estate website I watch doesn't have a save feature, would be nice though, but I try to look about every two weeks or so and see what is what.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:39 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Even though we're also planning on renting when we move up, I do like to check realtor websites. There are a few local Maine websites I like. Plus I check craigslist periodically, especially for rentals. Lots of interesting listings on there.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:31 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
Even though we plan to go new next time, I still look. I have a love of old houses and feel that most, but certainly not all, are worth restoring. I was looking around earlier this afternoon and found several that I would love to get my hands on, but the reality of my limitations has to take precedence. I can't do most of the work anymore and DH doesn't have the time. But it's a lot of fun to look around at all the sites.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:48 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
Plus there's Uncle Henry's.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:51 PM

467 posts, read 1,124,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Even though we plan to go new next time, I still look. I have a love of old houses and feel that most, but certainly not all, are worth restoring. I was looking around earlier this afternoon and found several that I would love to get my hands on, but the reality of my limitations has to take precedence. I can't do most of the work anymore and DH doesn't have the time. But it's a lot of fun to look around at all the sites.
Be careful, it becomes additive to look. We had looked so long before we finally found our place here, that we ended up getting our RE license ... LOL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine