Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 03:55 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times

Advertisements

It's like Reader's Digest. It's the goody-two-shoes version of Maine. I still enjoy it. Back in late '99 or early '00 while living in Kansas, they sent out a mailing asking for participation in their survey to revamp the magazine.

I filled it out and answered what type of story would I find interesting by saying it would be nice to hear about the different seed companies in Maine. A few months later, to coincide with spring, just such an issue came out. Works for me!

There are timely articles pertaining to the future of Maine (the issue about land conservation was one that comes to mind) that are well thought out and those are of interest to me.

The picnics on the front 40 don't do it for me either Tap. lol

There are now 5 glossies for Cape Cod... and I would say none of them are the reality of what life is here either... they cater to a south shore base who are the second home owners here. It's all about expensive advertising and toney shops. I recognize that as part of DE Magazine, but I enjoy certain sections and articles and overlook the rest. I have the subscription to DE, but do not subscribe to any of the 5 glossies for the Cape. ha I prefer Coastal Living for a pretentious living on the water magazine. lol

Last edited by CoastalMaine; 11-22-2008 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: Added last paragraph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 05:44 PM

467 posts, read 1,124,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
That being said, I did feel slighted a few months ago when they asked for stories from Maine and I submitted a few. It was the only time I have ever submitted a story, news article or letter that was not published.
Do you still have the article you wrote? Would be cool to see it! And any other submissions we could all collectively come up with. What do you all think???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I guess we here on city-data.com will have to meet the need.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:48 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
I've decided that Downeast Magazine offices MUST be below the Volvo line!

I still browse every page of every issue for the scenic photos!

Old 11-22-2008, 07:12 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I have not seen it yet.

Never heard of it before moving to Maine.

I have only heard of it ... here I think.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:17 PM

96 posts, read 201,308 times
We subscribe to it and enjoy it very much, but it ihas more in the way of the touristy parts of Maine, all the fancy restaurants and jewelry shops in the southern part of the State etc. Once in awhile they have a good article with photos on a rural area, but this is rarely. It does not, to me, represent the 'real Maine', that is the rural, rugged, Eastern areas where life is still largely unaffected by the rest of New England. They do have some good stuff in there, but most of the time the stuff they write about seems so far away...

Old 11-22-2008, 08:23 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
There was an insert re: "Best books from Maine" I will look into. Oh well, missing New England!
Just a suggestion, go to their website and find the Downeast Books store link. They have a wonderful selection of marvelous books, plus a fantastics SALE book section!! Perhaps you could find your wide some nice books for the holidays

Once a year I treat myself to a big order from that SALE section

Old 11-22-2008, 08:28 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
DownEast Magazine is kind of unique, I think they capture the way Mainers who want to remember Maine the way they "think" Maine is, rather then the way it really is. Its a bit glossy for my tastes, as I grew up on a farm here abut never remembered having a picnic out in the front 40, with a picnic basket filled with crabmeat sandwiches, mom reading a book as us kids chased dandlions as the cows froliced behind their barb wire fence while grazing merrily away. Nope, never remembered that, but I can see why people on sabatus from this great state would like it.

That being said, I did feel slighted a few months ago when they asked for stories from Maine and I submitted a few. It was the only time I have ever submitted a story, news article or letter that was not published. They said it lacked "the character of their publication", which they probably did. A woman at work had hers printed, but it was about her mother as a tourist, getting stuck in the old ships of Wiscassett for a few hours before she was rescued. Tourists stuck in ships, or stories of real Maine Farm Life...

As I said, my fingerprints will never be lifted off their glossy pages.
Yup and I invented the internet! Caution: hip boots required!

Last edited by Maineah; 11-22-2008 at 08:42 PM..

Old 11-22-2008, 08:37 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
yup and i invented the internet!
roflmao! :d

Old 11-22-2008, 11:14 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I've decided that Downeast Magazine offices MUST be below the Volvo line!

I still browse every page of every issue for the scenic photos!

This is totally incorrect.

Downeast Magazine sits firmly astride the Lexus Line.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:42 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
I love the pics in Down east, but prefer the Quoddy Tides for staying connected to the real Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine