Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:28 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,503,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
They need to elect presidents on area not residents. That map has much more red on it than blue!
You are correct there is more red than blue, but this is misleading because alot of those large tracts of red land actually have few people on them.

Here is the map adjusted for population....its mostly blue!

Election maps

Last edited by broadbill; 11-14-2008 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: add link for image...again

Old 11-14-2008, 08:34 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,018,268 times
I don't buy the skewed map, but all of these are good arguments to throw out the outdated electoral college and go with strictly democratic "one man(person) , one vote".

Old 11-14-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I don't buy the skewed map, but all of these are good arguments to throw out the outdated electoral college and go with strictly democratic "one man(person) , one vote".

What don't you buy about the map? Maps/cartograms are just graphical ways to express data.

Complain all you want about the electoral college...I bet you didn't have any problems with it when it elected Bush in 2000 and 2004! I'm guessing you don't like it now that it worked against your man this time around...

Am I right?

Old 11-14-2008, 08:44 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,681,341 times
Quote:
I agree the map looks like an LSD trip.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
What don't you buy about the map? Maps/cartograms are just graphical ways to express data.

Complain all you want about the electoral college...I bet you didn't have any problems with it when it elected Bush in 2000 and 2004! I'm guessing you don't like it now that it worked against your man this time around...

Am I right?
Couldn't be more wrong!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Couldn't be more wrong!
lol......if you say so...

I'll give you at the benefit of the doubt and assume that you have been a stalwart critic of the electoral college all along, despite who the winner of the election has been.

I apologize, but its been my experience that the greatest critics of the electoral college after any given election year has been the party that lost the election.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
lol......if you say so...

I'll give you at the benefit of the doubt and assume that you have been a stalwart critic of the electoral college all along, despite who the winner of the election has been.

I apologize, but its been my experience that the greatest critics of the electoral college after any given election year has been the party that lost the election.
O. K. I admit it . Throw the stones..I'm an Obama supporter. He's not perfect, but in most ways he's closer to what policies I have. I feel that the electoral college served it's purpose when this was a growing nation and the fastest means of communication was horse drawn. Now we have instantaneous messaging and a system that can be translated, manipulated, and otherwise skewed.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:07 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,681,341 times
Quote:
O. K. I admit it . Throw the stones..I'm an Obama supporter. He's not perfect, but in most ways he's closer to what policies I have. I feel that the electoral college served it's purpose when this was a growing nation and the fastest means of communication was horse drawn. Now we have instantaneous messaging and a system that can be translated, manipulated, and otherwise skewed.
I agree with your assessment on the electoral college I don't agree with liking Obama but he is now the President of All of us and we'll see what he can do.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:16 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,495,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I agree with your assessment on the electoral college I don't agree with liking Obama but he is now the President of All of us and we'll see what he can do.
I'm afraid we're all going to find out what he can -and can't - do, and we will finally find out just what sort of a person we elected, anyway. Certainly I had no clue what he was about during the campaigning!

I just hope this turns out better than I fear it will!

Old 11-14-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
No stones being thrown here for being an Obama supporter...but the big reason the electoral college is in place to ensure representation of smaller states in the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine