Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:26 AM

6 posts, read 11,758 times

Advertisements

Hello from your neighbor to the west! While I've always liked Maine, lived right next door, and do have some family ties there, the thought of moving there was off-putting ONLY because I was afraid of being taxed into oblivion. For years, I don't know how you all have withstood it! Alas, now that NH just had the life choked out of it and is completely blue, I have no doubt that within two years, the final blow will be dealt with a sales tax and an income tax, so now, I suppose there really won't be much of a difference.

There is now a possibility that my husband can be transferred with the company he works for to either Biddeford or Wells. My option would be Wells because I love the coast... Well, I guess Biddeford is coastal, too (right?) but I've been through Biddeford once or twice and well, I was kinda scared (no offense, maybe I went through the rough area of town?).

What are your thoughts on these areas? We are in our early 30's with a 3 year old, and I'm just wondering if one or both of these would be a good place to touch down. Thanks for anything you can share!

~Jenn~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 11:47 AM

51 posts, read 143,656 times
Biddeford's downtown is a bit shabby, and there are some rough areas, but nothing really bad in my experience. I live right across the river in Saco, which has a very nice downtown, is a very well-run city, and in the summer I can play tennis and bicycle down to the ocean. I like it a lot.

Funny, I'm still wanting to move to NH in the hope that it will never get as silly-blue as Maine. Be warned, we have stupid ideas here, the worst of which at the moment is 10% ethanol in our gasoline. I'm going to New Hampshire this weekend to pick up a few 5-gallon cans of clean gas for my lawnmower, weedwacker, and motorcycle for the winter storage.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the insight! My mother moved back to Maine a few years ago and lived in Auburn, then Westbrook, then remarried and moved to Saco, where her new husband lived. Then they decided to move to NH this spring and they are now literally two doors down, coincidentally. However they don't like the place they are renting, and are talking of moving back to the Lewiston/Auburn area. Anyway, my original point was that I do have limited knowledge of the Saco area from my visits to them, and it does seem very nice. I know we don't have to live in Biddeford if DH works there.

LOL, I know the government there has silly ideas... how'd that soda syrup tax fare on Tuesday? My 'link' to the happenings of Maine was WLOB when it was still 96.3 ... then they went AM only, so that shut me out. Hopefully they'll be back on an FM station soon!

How are Maine schools? I don't hear much about those.

Last edited by sassenach76; 11-06-2008 at 12:24 PM..

Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
sassenach76 -

Hello.

Maine does appear to hold a strong reputation for having high taxes.

"... being taxed into oblivion. For years, I don't know how you all have withstood it!"

That is funny though.

I do not know how bad the taxes were decades ago. but I am guessing they must have been really bad. to have formed such a reputation.

I only moved to Maine in 2005, so obviously I have not experienced any of these 'high' taxes.

I must have missed the bullet by moving here after they went away.

We do have a sales tax, many states have one.

Maine does have an income tax, I really can't say much about the income tax here in Maine, as I do not earn a high enough income to qualify to pay income taxes. I guess that truly wealthy folks complain about their income taxes.

"... There is now a possibility that my husband can be transferred with the company he works for ..."

Wonderful!

I think that you will enjoy living in Maine, pretty much anywhere that you go.

The low home prices, the low taxes, the great scenery, low crime, low traffic, and the great schools, really combine into a nearly perfect area.

May God bless you.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 PM

Hi Forest Beekeeper!

Thanks for such a nice post! I will admit, being in New Hampshire, we are definitely spoiled by being income and sales tax free. Of course we pay for it with property taxes!

From my perspective, which may or may not be accurate, your state government seems to like to tax everything. For example, the new tax that would have been put on soda syrup and other beverages (was that voted through? I'm so lost without WLOB!). Also, it is rumored that if my husband were to work in Maine while I kept my job in NH and we lived in NH, then they could tax my income. Is that true? It just sounds crazy to me!

Anyway, yes indeed, Maine is a beautiful state, and should my husband be transferred there we would be as blessed as if we were to remain in NH. I think we're all lucky to live in this part of the country, not too far from the oceans or the mountains!

~Jenn~

Old 11-06-2008, 04:19 PM

51 posts, read 143,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
sassenach76 -
Maine does have an income tax, I really can't say much about the income tax here in Maine, as I do not earn a high enough income to qualify to pay income taxes.
i suppose taxes would not seem to be overly onerous if one does not pay them.

Quote:
I guess that truly wealthy folks complain about their income taxes.
My wife and I combined do not make $80,000. I did not realize we were so truly wealthy. It's a wonder we can fit all of our jewels in our 900-sq-ft house.

Here's another one of my fat-cat high-roller tax complaints - If my wife and I were single, our taxes would be $400 lower. Yes, Maine taxes us $400 per year for being married. Why, that's what it costs me every year just to have street urchins wash our fleet of Rolls Royces with their tears.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassenach76 View Post
From my perspective, which may or may not be accurate, your state government seems to like to tax everything. For example, the new tax that would have been put on soda syrup and other beverages (was that voted through? I'm so lost without WLOB!).
The tax on doctor office visits was voted down.

It would have also taxed soda and booze, but was primarily a tax on private funded health care to support dirigo.

Quote:
... Also, it is rumored that if my husband were to work in Maine while I kept my job in NH and we lived in NH, then they could tax my income. Is that true? It just sounds crazy to me!
Every state that taxes income does that.

The state you have an income stream from taxes it.

I did over 20 years in the military, and as we traveled around any time that we had a income stream from a place that place taxed it.

There are only four states that do not have an income tax.

I own an apartment building in Connecticut. I must file a tax form in Ct every year as a non-resident to document any possible income that we have from that property. We did the same when we had property in California and Washington.

This is very common.

Quote:
... Anyway, yes indeed, Maine is a beautiful state, and should my husband be transferred there we would be as blessed as if we were to remain in NH. I think we're all lucky to live in this part of the country, not too far from the oceans or the mountains!

~Jenn~
Yes, well they are called mountains, so it is a nice place to live.

Having grown up in California where I did a lot of hiking as a teen, I am familiar with mountains that require you to bring your own oxygen when you go hiking them.

The hills of New england are very scenic

Old 11-06-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
i suppose taxes would not seem to be overly onerous if one does not pay them.
Yes.

Quote:
... My wife and I combined do not make $80,000. I did not realize we were so truly wealthy. It's a wonder we can fit all of our jewels in our 900-sq-ft house.
Well some guys pack around a big set of family jewels, and other guys do not.

I am happy for you

We are both very fortunate to be living here in this low tax state.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:57 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
When myhusband and I were house shopping we chose Wells because of the comparatively low property taxes and minimum of restrictions. There are a few more ordinances now and the taxes have crept up a little, but I think the taxes are still low.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:23 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Let me add a few factors to help you decide:

You can drive a hundred miles and never see a "No Trespassing" sign.
A 3 bedroom house with garage that costs $250,000 in NH costs $125,000 in Maine. Same house.
Maine is big; bigger than the other 5 New England states combined.
(NH would fit neatly in Aroostook County.)
The fishing is great and our lakes are not crowded.

But you can't hunt on Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine