Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:19 PM

7,083 posts, read 8,962,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Avoid Cutler. It has a submarine antenna array that produces VLF (very low frequency) electromagnetic waves which have been linked to various cancers. Google VLF and you won't buy a place in Cutler.

Here's a pic of the antenna farm.

The inverse square ratio is true, once you increase distance by tenfold the field strength is greatly diminished, you won't get close enough to be in harms way. We used to have a VOA relay in our area that was no smaller than that and there have never been problems.

This is the old building, at one time they had 24 towers here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 07:27 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
With all due respect, Bath is way down the list.
This planet has hundreds of shipyards. Any given shipyard takes a great deal of time to manufacture a ship. To destroy a shipyard does not effect the immediate ability of a nation to project force against an enemy. Loosing a shipyard will effect a nation's projection of force in the 12 month to 36 month in the future range.

A transmitter that talks to submerged satelite launch platforms, effects the launching of satelites in the immediate now future.

Hundreds of orbital vehicles are listening to the transmissions coming from Cutler.

To launch, or to re-target and launch a dozen MRVs into orbit, each with up to 14 warheads, takes a transmitter that can talk to the launch platforms. Such is Cutler.

The right messages going out from that transmitter, can mean warheads coming down through the stratosphere on any location on the planet within 28 minutes.

This puts the importance of Cutler's mission to very near the top of the importance list.

In comparison, a missile silo only has one missile. Old tech using simpler orbital platforms. Most missile silos have only one warhead per missile.

Cutler talks to dozens of subs, 2 dozen of those subs carry up to 24 missiles. Each of those missiles has a MRV that can carry up to 14 warheads. Multiply that out and you see that Cutler holds a far higher importance than any single missile silo holds. And even a single missile silo presents a far greater threat in the immediate now, than does a shipyard.
That makes me feel better!!! It doesn't make Cutler look all that good though!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:27 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
That makes me feel better!!! It doesn't make Cutler look all that good though!
Well Cutler [NAA] is not the only VLF transmitter that we have. We also have Lualuahe [NPM] and Jim Creek [NLK].

Old 10-22-2008, 09:10 PM

129 posts, read 247,026 times
I have heard that the best lobsters in Maine come from Cutler, and a friend of mine got a fantastic house for a little more than nothing there. There is also some partnership that bought 80+ navy housing units and is marketing them as vacation/retirement homes. A friend of mine who I've been in a few plays here was born and raised there and she said that there wasn't much to do there.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:41 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb View Post
I have heard that the best lobsters in Maine come from Cutler, and a friend of mine got a fantastic house for a little more than nothing there. There is also some partnership that bought 80+ navy housing units and is marketing them as vacation/retirement homes. A friend of mine who I've been in a few plays here was born and raised there and she said that there wasn't much to do there.
Wonder why???

Old 10-23-2008, 05:17 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,021,140 times
I think the best clams come from there. My husband has a lot of relatives there. Diana Ross and other celebrities have properties there. I once visited a summer home that my late uncle-in-law was caretaking. Sweeeet!

Old 10-23-2008, 07:08 AM

489 posts, read 1,212,621 times
We have a ELF transmitter site here in northern Wis at Clam Lake. I remember back in the '80's there was much opposition to it because of human and wildlife danger.

Did I read this right? I looked up the Cutler site and it says the base there was declared "excess" by Navy and was/is open to developers. Operations are conducted from a remote site in Norfolk, VA. There are numerous housing units, a grocery store, a bowling alley, a chapel, etc., in other words, a small village. A perfect place for us "from away" to homestead and stake our claim Back in '60's when I was at Quoddy Head Lubec I recall Cutler. I thought it was Air Force back then but I might be mistaken. Side note - when I type the words "Quoddy" and "Lubec" my spell checker alert comes on. Apparently these words are "foreign" to the system.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
We have a ELF transmitter site here in northern Wis at Clam Lake. I remember back in the '80's there was much opposition to it because of human and wildlife danger.

Did I read this right? I looked up the Cutler site and it says the base there was declared "excess" by Navy and was/is open to developers. Operations are conducted from a remote site in Norfolk, VA. There are numerous housing units, a grocery store, a bowling alley, a chapel, etc., in other words, a small village. A perfect place for us "from away" to homestead and stake our claim Back in '60's when I was at Quoddy Head Lubec I recall Cutler. I thought it was Air Force back then but I might be mistaken. Side note - when I type the words "Quoddy" and "Lubec" my spell checker alert comes on. Apparently these words are "foreign" to the system.
An 'open' Navy base is one that gets reviewed by congress during the BRAC hearings. To keep an 'open' base becomes very political. Congress debates it, there are public hearings, it gets into the Media talking head debates, and a great deal of promises are made by politicians, as backroom deals are struck. Very messy, with no clear strategic goals.

To avoid this, the Navy sometimes, will downsize a facility, move most of the functions over to long term contracts with Defense Contractors, and the rest of the base is deemed 'excess'. Any company can go in and purchase the housing, etc.

For example, there are a few called the Solomons near DC, where the most of the base was given to MWR, to use for recreation of military personnel. The housing is now short term rentals for military families on vacation. The bowling alley is running, the base movie theater, swimming pool, rec hall, a large marina with sail boats, and they run daily tours of the DS area. My Dw has a website that lists these MWR facilities around the world, she has taken our children and stayed in a few of these places as a vacation a few times while I was underwater.

There is one in Washington near Greys Harbor that we stayed for a few days once. An old Navy base that was given to MWR to be used as a recreation facility for military families, without BRAC coming into the process. That base still has a few guarded concrete buildings filled with Defense Contractors doing stuff. Things considered too important to allow congressional politics to decide the fate of.

NAA Cutler is far too important an asset to allow congress and the Mass Media talking heads to debate its fate.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:40 PM

467 posts, read 1,126,313 times
Cutler Naval Base Operations closed down in December 2003. Antennas still there-- no transmission though. A developer bought up property a while back and turned the former military housing into condo units. They were selling faster than they could even get them all ready for occupancy. (And I heard the bulk of their sales were to Mainers, although some sales were from people in other states.)

Old 10-23-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoundtofindME View Post
Cutler Naval Base Operations closed down in December 2003. Antennas still there-- no transmission though. A developer bought up property a while back and turned the former military housing into condo units. They were selling faster than they could even get them all ready for occupancy. (And I heard the bulk of their sales were to Mainers, although some sales were from people in other states.)
I visited the base in 2005, spoke with some of the Defense Contractors who work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine