Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:32 PM

898 posts, read 1,401,714 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I've only been gone a little over a week. I'm at the University of Connecticut trying to earn an engineering degree. But there are a few things I REALLY miss from Maine.

#1. The Chinese food. I know it isn't real Chinese at any Chinese Restaurant, but it's just different down here than it is back home. And not a good different either. NO CRAB RANGOONS! The chicken wings suck, the prok-fried rice sucks, oh, and did I mention, NO CRAB RANGOONS! I miss Ming Lee in Waterville.

#2. Humpty Dumpty Barbecue Chips. There is no substitute, period. And of course, they aren't sold in Connecticut.

#3. I can't find anywhere to get a good IT! I miss Sonny's in Fairfield, or Sam's in Lewiston!

#4. The rotaries in Augusta. Ok, maybe I'm insane, but I always found driving around those things a bit fun. Ok, so now there's probably no doubt in your minds that I'm insane. They don't seem to have them here.

#5. People in Maine are just more polite. There's this degree of facelessness around here, everyone's always pushy and in a hurry. The drivers are insane, and will do 20 mph over the speed limit without a second thought around a blind curve on the wrong side of the road.

Oh well, it's all for the best, finally going for that Engineering degree and trying to carve out a good living for myself and the family that I might have in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 07:02 PM

77 posts, read 197,428 times
Default No place like home...

I sympathize with your quandary. At times, there really is "no place like home". Especially when it comes to both food and people.

Is this your first year at UConn? If so, give the area a little time -- who knows...perhaps there are some hidden gems yet to be discovered.

Good luck in school and have fun!

P.S. Love your handle -- what's your favorite distro?

Last edited by zoe456; 09-05-2008 at 07:34 PM..

Old 09-05-2008, 07:18 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,057 times
Though you may miss the Chinese food, try the tasty thin crust pizza in CT.

Have your family and friends send you care packages of Humpty Dumpty chips to help ease our withdrawal symptoms!

Hang in there, and once you graduate, bring your degree and wonderful skills back to Maine!!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:39 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Humpty Dumpty chips are now made in Canada.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:36 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,462,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Humpty Dumpty chips are now made in Canada.
Buzz killer...

Old 09-05-2008, 08:39 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Humpty Dumpty chips have been all over the MidWest for like ten years (at the least).

Old 09-05-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
#3. I can't find anywhere to get a good IT! I miss Sonny's in Fairfield, or Sam's in Lewiston!
Are you talking about italians? Because if you are, then are those strictly a Maine thing?

Old 09-05-2008, 08:54 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Are you talking about italians? Because if you are, then are those strictly a Maine thing?
They just don't know what the heck an italian sandwich is anywhere out here in the west. Maybe it is just a Maine thing. Although I remember a great shop in downtown Portsmouth. We made special trips from Eliot just to get "an italian." Close enough I guess.

If I remember right, they are on a long white roll with the usual meats and condiments but the best ingredient was an oil that was spread on it. Now I'm really hungry.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
They just don't know what the heck an italian sandwich is anywhere out here in the west. Maybe it is just a Maine thing. Although I remember a great shop in downtown Portsmouth. We made special trips from Eliot just to get "an italian." Close enough I guess.

If I remember right, they are on a long white roll with the usual meats and condiments but the best ingredient was an oil that was spread on it. Now I'm really hungry.
Every nook and cranny in the US has some version of this type of sandwich whether it is called a hoagie, submarine, grinder, hero or what ever. But the way they make them here, especially with all of the oil, is strictly a Maine thing.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:48 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,120 times
Here are my five things:

1. Family....my one week a year visit just isn't enough anymore

2. Hills and views....instead of traffic and suburban blues

3. Seasonal awareness and anticipation....vs. two long seasons (it was 105 today)

4. Wildlife viewing while out doing errands....here I see lots of cats and dogs

5. The food....can't explain it, just different with less choice out here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine