Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:17 PM

71 posts, read 421,547 times

Advertisements

I just recently began searching for farms/homes with large property parcels (about 10 acres or more) in the Belgrade Lakes area. Can anyone provide some info about the area? How are the schools here? It looks like it would be an ideal area, still rural but not too far from Augusta. I know there are some expensive properties in the area.

Also, what are Oakland, Sidney and Rome areas like? Any comments are appreciated, especially information about the school systems.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 11:46 PM

I can't believe I haven't received any responses here. Is there anyone that can provide some information about living in the N. Augusta/Belgrade Lakes area?

Old 02-20-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Anyone living North of Augusta?

I've posted twice with no response. Is this area Maine's best kept secret or does no one live here. I'm looking for town life and school information for anywhere between Belgrade Lakes through north or Augusta (Sidney?). How is the school system in this area? Are there good sports programs available for kids?

Someone please reply, please

Old 02-21-2007, 01:48 AM

3 posts, read 11,452 times
Yes, there are people who live there! LOL I spent 18 yrs in Waterville , which is just north of Augusta. Both of my daughters (26 and 22 now) spent their entire school years in the Waterville system and I have nothing but POSITIVE things to say about it.

I'm not sure what's happened in the past 3 yrs, but I can tell you it's a good place to raise kids. Any other questions I'll try to answer for you

Old 02-21-2007, 01:48 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,095,340 times
The entire area you mention is becoming popular with state employees who work in Augusta. There's heavy commuter traffic down Route 27 and I-95 into Augusta every morning. Sidney has grown very rapidly as new housing developments go up. Belgrade Lakes area has an active land conservation trust. Can't comment on the schools except Waterville, which a friend says are excellent.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 PM

9 posts, read 43,290 times
Smile Augusta/Belgrade Area

Well lets see where to start. We live in the Kents Hill area which is just to the west of were you are looking. Belgrade Lakes is expensive since they put in the high price golf course. Prices have gone through the roof out here in little rural Maine. But it all depends on what you maybe looking for. This are as I said is just a few miles west and on the border of Belgrade Lakes. Augusta taxes are high and now with all the shopping ( malls ) crowds too.
Good schools and Kents Hill School is one of the best ( high school ) in the area. Yes there are still farms around to settle in on but all ( or most ) will need a little work. I would think you could find something in the $ 200,000 range with 20 or more acres.
Hope this will help you out. Waterfront is much more money and the land will cost you that plus the taxes for what you get is not worth it. Pretty yes but been here on the lake for a few years now ( 20 ) and thinking of making the break from the waterfront. Give me a view !
Marty
Kents Hill, Maine

Old 03-04-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Finally, some replies....

Finally, some replies to my search. Thank you so much for the info. In my own search, I have found that the land around the Belgrade Lakes area does seem to be priced much higher than other surrounding areas. However, the information on the Kents Hill area was appreciated and I will begin focusing more on that area.

I did have to chuckle a bit at the remark about the traffic going into Augusta. I've been through the city at all times, peak and non-peak, through the circle and such and, trust me, it's not bad at all. Try driving less than 25 miles to work and having it take you 1 1/2 hours to get there! That is what we deal with in the South Jersey/Philly areas. The Schuylkill River Expressway (Rt. 76) through Philly is locally known as the "Sure Kill Expressway" because of the daily accidents. I'll take Maine traffic anyday...

Old 03-04-2007, 12:15 PM

9 posts, read 43,290 times
Default Traffic in Augusta

Correct have been in that area and have seen the traffic there BUT after living here for a few years you tend to forget that style of traffic and now are in the " local area traffic " But it is getting worse in the Manchester to Augusta drive in the morning and afternoon.

Kents Hill area is very nice with views of the White Mountains and of course the school here is great too. Plenty to do for the young group and a lot of community support too in a small town way. There are plenty of small farms with in this area and prices are falling or you can bargin so start low and work your way up. Would be glad to send more info if you would like.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:51 PM

Marty:

Yes, I would appreciate any information you could send me. I will be back up to visit the area during our children's spring break April 4-10th.

I have recently found a few homes for sale in the Monmouth and Whitesfield areas in the good old "Uncle Henry's" book (I love that book!). Have already contacted two of the sellers for info. Anything on the school systems in these two areas would be welcome info too. Thanks!!

Old 03-18-2007, 08:17 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,693,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemejersey View Post
Marty:

Yes, I would appreciate any information you could send me. I will be back up to visit the area during our children's spring break April 4-10th.

I have recently found a few homes for sale in the Monmouth and Whitesfield areas in the good old "Uncle Henry's" book (I love that book!). Have already contacted two of the sellers for info. Anything on the school systems in these two areas would be welcome info too. Thanks!!
What is "Uncle Henry's" book, if you don't mind me asking?!? Just curious !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine