Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 07:51 AM

165 posts, read 415,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Because nationwide, there is a problem.

And nationwide many drug companys are being pressured to maintaining this information.

It is fairly new.
Not in NH, where I come from.

It most definitely isn't unique to the State of Maine. If anything, Maine's a couple of years behind on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 01:07 PM

497 posts, read 1,567,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJL View Post
Then by your own reasoning (see the last sentence), every other place is reporting only 5% of their crimes, as well. How dangerous does that make every place else, in proportion to Maine?

I'm quite sure that we won't hear too often on WABI about the 5 Halloween pumpkins that got smashed in the middle of 14th Street, so in that vein I agree: not all crime is reported. But unless you're there actually watching the doctors and lawyers get their kids off the hook, and unless you're there at the destination of every cruiser that's dispatched (a dispatch doesn't necessarily mean a crime has occurred), I have to wonder first, if you're being honest about what you hear from your "friends" and second - if you are - if perhaps you're talking with people who think as you do.

BTW, what you've claimed here indicates that you have inside information that really needs to be reported to the appropriate governmental bodies.

But overall, Peter, your posts are so far out there that you don't have much credibility. You make no sense, your agenda is clear, and you use stories that can't be certified to support your position. I hope people take the source into consideration as they read you.
What needs to be reported to the government? It's not unlawful for the press not to report all the crime. They pick the most sensational crimes and report them. Recently South Portland has had 2 incidents where police shot and killed suspects. Of course this was widely reported. Just recently in Portland, SWAT teams with automatic weapons and armored cars were involved in a major drug bust somewhere that was never reported in the paper. Why? Because it happens all the time. If they were to report every arrest for drugs, weapons, assaults, and other crimes they would need a full 2 hour news cast. So unless someone is dead or seriously hurt it doesn't make the news.

It's just like car accidents. They happen every day and unless there are serious injuries or cause major traffic tie ups they don't get reported either.

But in an effort to try to say something good about this state I can say that at least along the coast line it's very beautiful. I love being near the ocean and having the bay just about in my backyard. Maybe in a few years when global warming kicks in the winters will be bareable lol!

Old 03-04-2007, 03:28 PM

165 posts, read 415,400 times
Quote:
Just recently in Portland, SWAT teams with automatic weapons and armored cars were involved in a major drug bust somewhere that was never reported in the paper. Why? Because it happens all the time.
I've been doing a good amount of statistical research - as I said, I'm moving there - and the only conclusion I can come to is, you're not being entirely honest here. (Trying to be polite. )

I'm considering contacting the Portland media to inquire about the drug/violent crime culture that they're ignoring, though. It's amazing, that TV, print, and even 'net media all have conspired to keep silent about stories that (unlike covering the doggie trick-or-treat day in Bangor) would up their ratings/readerships, and thereby make them more ad money.

I certainly won't be purchasing any stock in their organizations. that's for sure.

Not buying it, IOW.

As to this:

Quote:
What needs to be reported to the government? It's not unlawful for the press not to report all the crime.
I was referring to this statement:

Quote:
If Portland gets an ambulance call anywhere in the old port after dark they will send the police and fire dept. This isn't because they need the extra help, it's because if they leave the ambulance parked on the street druggies will be in stealing the drugs within minutes.
You sure you want to stand by that one? If you are, I'll refute it later. If not, go ahead and delete it from your posts, and I'll delete where I quoted it.

One more thing: I understand that you get some kind of satisfaction out of what you're doing, but I'd like to wrap up this discussion I'm having with you. The "why" of your apparent need to behave in this manner is something I don't have enough interest in to pursue, but I do hope that whatever is really bothering you is resolved soon.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:40 PM

497 posts, read 1,567,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJL View Post

I was referring to this statement:

You sure you want to stand by that one? If you are, I'll refute it later. If not, go ahead and delete it from your posts, and I'll delete where I quoted it.
I stand by this statement. As a firefighter and EMT I know what I am talking about. The one thing I will correct is that the fire dept almost always will respond on medical calls in Portland just because there are usually paramedics on the engines and ladder companies and they can usually get to the call before Medcue does. But the police will almost always respond to any calls after dark in the old port area and other areas that are known to be dangerous areas to protect the crew.

A few months ago my station was called to cover Portland's central station when they had a 3rd alarm fire. A few blocks up the street from where we were there was about 5-10 people with guns...reported to be automatic weapons. The Hells Angels and other motorcycle gangs are a big problem in Portland.

As for the press, there is no conspiracy. Once again, the press doesn't report every single crime that happens. In fact the media has conceeded in recent reports that crime is on the rise in Maine. Portland is quickly becoming a suburb of Boston.

I will also conceed that compared to a lot of areas, Portland is relatively safe. I have been to concerts and other events at night and felt reasonably safe. But I have been to Boston and other cities for concerts and also felt safe. You have to use your head, travel in groups and know where the "bad" areas are and stay away from them.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:56 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
I do not know about 'crime' in the bigger cities of Maine.

I do know that up here around Old Town, the weekly paper prints from a half page to as much as a full page each week of police logs.

Reading these, it is every call that came in to the police-fire dispatcher. Loose dogs, knocked over garbage cans rolling in the street. An incident that someone reports a drunk walking down the sidewalk but when the police get there they can not find the drunk. It goes on and on.

Once I was very bored and I read the entire thing. One lady was getting crank phone calls from her ex-husband, and it quoted in long detail everything that she said during her complaint. and then they interviewed the ex-husband and his problems, and it went on in agonizing detail. To fill the page.

Now they do also report each drunken Orono college student that gets arrested. And each time that a minor gets access to alcohol, and who they arrested as being responsible for the minor getting alcohol.

From what I have seen, the local 'crime' reporting is more gossip.

Coming back stateside from my last tour of duty overseas, we lived in Norwich Ct. We were three blocks from a police department. Within our block were 2 stabbing murders, a child abduction, robberies, gang street fights, and one rophie-rape [that I heard about]. All happened within a two year period.

Two blocks away is a little dumpy bar called the 'Lincoln inn', there is always a group of Hardleys parked out in front of this bar. One night while we lived there, the drunks came out and had a shoot-out on the street in front of the bar. When the cops arrived they even got a few shots off. All of the suspects escaped except for the wounded. The newspaper story said that over 45 rounds had been fired during this incident. And it is two blocks from our apartment building.

Ct reminded me very much of living in Italy, the crime seemed about the same. But I see none of that here.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:19 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
whats' a rophie rape? never heard that expression?

Old 03-04-2007, 05:29 PM

We used to say: "To slip a mickie into a girl's drink and run a train on her once she is blotzo."

Now they call it a rophie or Rophinol.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:02 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
i've yet to slip any girl a mickie, im too respectful, of woman to ever think about that, besides, won't gettin them drunk and passed out, give ya the same results??

Old 03-05-2007, 03:10 PM

Same thing.

One way or another, induce a female into becoming inebriated or taking chemical restraints, and therefore unable to defend herself from sexual assault.

It makes no difference which drug you use.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:16 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,935,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Wow, I am new to this scene. Though so far, nobody has asked us what part of the year we live in our Maine residence.

We just filed our income taxes. Maine income-tax filing did get very sticky about how much of the year we reside in Maine, and about what percentage of our Gross income is from Maine. But that is all income taxes. and not property taxes.

Now what about all of these camps?

Around me there are many seasonal camps, that are occupied off and on through-out the summers. Are you thinking that they will be seeing some kind of property tax hike?
Yup. That's the plan. And it will benefit those who live here year round, and have children in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine