Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 07:31 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,138,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
AND....there are often interviews when someone has already been given the job.
Yeah.... but that's not specific to Maine. Many years ago in Mid atlantic I interviewed with the board for a high level job that had already been given to someone else inside the organization. I told them that, and left during the interview. I said, "Looks to me like you have chosen another candidate and are simply interviewing people to make it look like you looked outside of your organization. You are wasting both my time and yours. So good luck to you all." And I got up and left. They all looked surprised, like I had to tolerate dumb questions which had nothing to do with the job, like :"What will you do if you don't get this job?" Keep the one I have????? and go to another organization that doesn't waste my time like you have???

That's not a practice specific to Maine. Every organization does that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 08:19 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I posted earlier on another thread about stalking a certain real estate site, but I also stalk the job websites and have made friends in Eastport(many from here). I want to have my eyes and ears to the ground to be ready to jump into whatever job(s) I can find when our time comes. If nothing comes then my frugal and saving way will have me up there at retirement(hopefully an early one).
I hope that you are able to make your transition to Maine living soon.

Good luck

Old 07-20-2014, 04:31 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,175,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Yeah.... but that's not specific to Maine. Many years ago in Mid atlantic I interviewed with the board for a high level job that had already been given to someone else inside the organization. I told them that, and left during the interview. I said, "Looks to me like you have chosen another candidate and are simply interviewing people to make it look like you looked outside of your organization. You are wasting both my time and yours. So good luck to you all." And I got up and left. They all looked surprised, like I had to tolerate dumb questions which had nothing to do with the job, like :"What will you do if you don't get this job?" Keep the one I have????? and go to another organization that doesn't waste my time like you have???

That's not a practice specific to Maine. Every organization does that.
They also periodically advertise, or keep an advertisement up for a job to keep fresh applications in case the current employee doesn't work out.

One of my coworkers just recently applied for a full time position. Two weeks after she applied for it, she got a notice that they weren't going to hire for the position after all.

"Hey! Come work for us! Oh, just kidding!"

Good for you to speak up on the waste of time angle. The arrogance of the mentality that one needs to sit and tolerate stupid questions is one that would prompt me to clean toilets at a bus station before accepting a position with that kind of company.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:35 PM

489 posts, read 1,212,621 times
I was in the same sort of situation not in Maine, but here in Wis., after my current employer went out of business.
This was a while back (25 years ago). I applied for a position at FedEx Express, was interviewed a couple times, took tests, etc. Then a couple days later, was told the company had a hiring freeze on and they would call me when it was off. I thought "yeah, right".

Well, a whole year later, they did call. I got the job, worked there all this time and recently retired. Best move I ever made. So I guess, lesson learned, don't burn bridges.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:43 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,724,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzack View Post
Maine does rank 49th in job growth an job creation,I love this state an don't want to move but I'm gonna have no choice but to move. If are elected officials did there job like they are elected to do instead of there special interest,an if we the people did a better job doing our homework when we vote the people into office,an not just what the tell us there going to do an never do it,we the people would be doing much better,so if anybody knows of any company hiring in sales or something to do with F&I please let me know. Thank you!!!!!!
You.... and I don't mean YOU.. but you have to be realistic when looking for work anywhere. What are your skills, and what are you expectations.

people with low skills will find it hard no matter where they go and then you might ask where would you rather live poor.. I always use to look at the homeless (most homeless are that way because of choice and it is not necessarily a financial decision) and say to myself if I was going to live on the street why the heck would I want to do it in the north east.. somewhere warm would be better..

Outside of the political debate about how this country has changed to the point where its difficult if not impossible for low wage low skilled workers to support themselves let alone a family I believe there is a lot to be said for the point I am trying to make..

Maine has plenty of work and I see people every day and NIGHT working.. I recently needed a part time job and I got one.. one that I think pays pretty well.. But I see people all the time with out direction or focus and they pigeon hole themselves saying I cant do that or it has to be in this geographic location..

The problems with Maine and employment are not isolated to Maine and I don't blame our state government entirely for it I believe its systemic across our nation.. Unless your a space engineer looking for work in the Camden Rockland area (hypothetical) there is plenty of work at least where I am for the average person.

FYI.... I recently met with some Canadians who were buying a ton of stuff at one our local box stores who explained to me that even outside of their taxes products here are routinely for sale at 25% to 40% less than in Canada.. Just something I found interesting..

PS.. send me a DM I might have some avenues to seek employment for you that you weren't aware of..

Old 07-21-2014, 10:58 AM

642 posts, read 1,257,771 times
We have three full-time jobs with paid 100% paid health insurance, profit sharing, pto. One entry level manual labor, one in sales and one in accounting. Few applicants and few of the applicants qualified.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:40 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,916,728 times
True that. My company is almost always hiring and it is so hard to find good applicants (some positions are skilled; some are semi-skilled).
Another friend of mine hires three or four people to work eight or nine months a year; being unskilled is okay because they will train. They are great to work for. You can get lots of overtime if you want it. They pay well too. Hours are reduced in the off season but they try to provide bonuses, etc. All they require is a good work ethic and some flexibility. They have a devil of a time finding good people.
AND both of these situations are in northern Maine where unemployment is 7%!! You would think people would not be hard to find.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:21 PM

468 posts, read 759,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
True that. My company is almost always hiring and it is so hard to find good applicants (some positions are skilled; some are semi-skilled).
Another friend of mine hires three or four people to work eight or nine months a year; being unskilled is okay because they will train. They are great to work for. You can get lots of overtime if you want it. They pay well too. Hours are reduced in the off season but they try to provide bonuses, etc. All they require is a good work ethic and some flexibility. They have a devil of a time finding good people.
AND both of these situations are in northern Maine where unemployment is 7%!! You would think people would not be hard to find.
What is the nature of your friend's work, if I may ask?

Old 07-21-2014, 06:24 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,916,728 times
It's an amusement company; travels all around Maine putting on events for kids. (Thus the need for some flexibility).

Old 08-23-2014, 05:07 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,990,104 times
A good website for jobs is indeed.com

Punch in the state of Maine, and in the advanced option you can put in how many miles from a certain location you're OK to travel to a job.

Advanced Job Search | Indeed.com

You can also get automatic emails of new listings.

Here's what I see in Portland today (5 pages, not a lot, but may be of interest).

Jobs, Employment in Portland, ME | Indeed.com

(I am retired so not looking, but this may be of help to someone)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine