Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 8,232 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transferred to Rockland, ME in May and I would like some info on where the best places to live would be. Husband is in the Coast Guard, and will be away for 2-3 days at a time, so we don't have to live in Rockland, but would like to be as close to that town as possible. I'm used to living in bigger cities (San Antonio and currently live in Galveston) so I tried doing an apartment search, but nothing is coming up. Are there typical apartment complexes in or around Rockland? Are there house rentals (other than vacation homes)? We would be looking ideally for a 2 bedroom, since we will have a newborn at the time, but a spacious 1 bdrm or something with an office or den would work as well. ANY help would be greatly appreciated, especially since we must be there in a matter of a few months and I am STRESSING about this. And being pregnant and stressed out is not a good combination.
Also, one more question. I found out that Maine is a mostly white state. I am Hispanic and my husband is Native American. Would anyone say that the population is antagonistic towards minorities, or can we expect to be accepted? It feels like a stupid question to ask, but as I learned in elementary school - "There is no such thing as a stupid question."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 03:32 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,700,652 times
Check craigslist for rentals. Or google "Maine for rent". Several websites came up that way. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2007, 03:36 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,775 times
you will probably feel out of place in Maine at first because it is mostly white, however the people here will not treat you negatively. Actually, sometimes the case is they will treat you more friendly because they will be facsinated. Racism is not a problem in Maine. There is actually a population of Native Americans in Maine such as the Penobscot Indian tribe. Rockland is a popular tourist destination, so finding housing might be expensive and difficult. The cheaper alternatives would be Thomaston or Warren.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 8,226 times
Talking I moved to Maine a year ago

Hello, I just read your post and understand your anxiety. Before moving to Maine from NJ, I made two trips trying to get a lay of the land. After trying to find something long distance, and then after a lease fell through, we resigned to live at the Sheepscot River Inn in Edgecomb ME, searching for leased homes while residing there. We moved in November -- a very bad month -- as most home leases are designed to start and end in Spring/Summer here in Maine - we didn't know that -- when more people come to the state. Camden/Rockport are higher priced areas. There's a different kind of living here. The more populated areas are Portland and coastal towns running along the southern coast from the Maine border/Kittery up through Brunswick -- then you have the large population centers of Lewiston/Auburn, Augusta and Bangor.

You said you are from a larger city -- you are used to large apartment houses and a diversity of properties from which to choose. When we searched for properties, apartment houses -- per se -- in our search area (which went from Camden to Scarborough) -- apts were available -- but were small. Prices are of course higher in the populated areas. Finding a leased home is truly an extraordinary experience. We felt upon moving in November, we'd find a leased home in one month -- tops. It took us four months. It was very hard. Wow, some stories I could tell. We ended up leasing a 1500 square foot modular home (modular homes are becoming quite popular here) that had a two-car garage and full basement for storage. Our landlord is a dream -- and regarding the newness of the property and what it had available -- we got lucky. However, having the lease allowed us a place to hold down the fort while we search for a real home.

I'd be happy to share other experiences / insights -- let me know what you want to know.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 8,229 times
Default We moved from DFW Texas 3 1/2 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaGoob23 View Post
My husband is being transferred to Rockland, ME in May and I would like some info on where the best places to live would be. Husband is in the Coast Guard, and will be away for 2-3 days at a time, so we don't have to live in Rockland, but would like to be as close to that town as possible. I'm used to living in bigger cities (San Antonio and currently live in Galveston) so I tried doing an apartment search, but nothing is coming up. Are there typical apartment complexes in or around Rockland? Are there house rentals (other than vacation homes)? We would be looking ideally for a 2 bedroom, since we will have a newborn at the time, but a spacious 1 bdrm or something with an office or den would work as well. ANY help would be greatly appreciated, especially since we must be there in a matter of a few months and I am STRESSING about this. And being pregnant and stressed out is not a good combination.
Also, one more question. I found out that Maine is a mostly white state. I am Hispanic and my husband is Native American. Would anyone say that the population is antagonistic towards minorities, or can we expect to be accepted? It feels like a stupid question to ask, but as I learned in elementary school - "There is no such thing as a stupid question."
I came across your questions by accident and thought I could offer you some good insight. My family and I moved here in 2003. We love it! You will too! Just bring warm clothes for the winter. The spring, summer, and fall (especially) are beautiful. Lots of outdoor stuff. Very safe place to live. People don't even lock their doors. When you go home you have to remember to put your guard back up.

The people in Maine are very accepting, non-judgemental, very tolerant of all races and lifestyles. A great place to be just who you are. You are right there is no such thing as a stupid question and you guys will be just fine.

As far as apartments go...there's not very many. I am the publisher of the newspapers in Rockland, Camden, Belfast, and Bar Harbor. Our website may be of help to you...

www.mainecoastnow.com.

You can do a classified search for rentals. You can also learn more about the communities.

Also, go to www.therealmaine.com. This is the local chamber's website for Rockland. There is a relocation area under "Living Here" where you can find lots of good info.

You can find me on my website...my name is Bill Atkinson. My email is batkins@courierpub.com. If I can be of any further help I'd be happy to assist....good luck!

Don't stress about moving to or living in Maine. When you really take in the natural beauty and learn the people, you'll find they will accept immediately for who you are unless you give them reason otherwise. They are very honest and only expect the same. People here will not ask you where you are from, they'll say, "you're from away," or "you're not from around here...are you?" You'll see its kind of fun to watch them grin when you speak...

By the way, one of my best friends lives in Galveston.

Sincerely,
Bill

Old 01-28-2007, 03:43 PM

562 posts, read 660,659 times
I hate Texas. I live in San Antonio and am looking at all the New England states to get the flock out of here. Like heat? Move to Texas- it's a blast furnace in the summer.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 8,223 times
Default information about Penobscot bay area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by batkins2003 View Post
I came across your questions by accident and thought I could offer you some good insight. My family and I moved here in 2003. We love it! You will too! Just bring warm clothes for the winter. The spring, summer, and fall (especially) are beautiful. Lots of outdoor stuff. Very safe place to live. People don't even lock their doors. When you go home you have to remember to put your guard back up.

The people in Maine are very accepting, non-judgemental, very tolerant of all races and lifestyles. A great place to be just who you are. You are right there is no such thing as a stupid question and you guys will be just fine.

As far as apartments go...there's not very many. I am the publisher of the newspapers in Rockland, Camden, Belfast, and Bar Harbor. Our website may be of help to you...

www.mainecoastnow.com.

You can do a classified search for rentals. You can also learn more about the communities.

Also, go to www.therealmaine.com. This is the local chamber's website for Rockland. There is a relocation area under "Living Here" where you can find lots of good info.

You can find me on my website...my name is Bill Atkinson. My email is batkins@courierpub.com. If I can be of any further help I'd be happy to assist....good luck!

Don't stress about moving to or living in Maine. When you really take in the natural beauty and learn the people, you'll find they will accept immediately for who you are unless you give them reason otherwise. They are very honest and only expect the same. People here will not ask you where you are from, they'll say, "you're from away," or "you're not from around here...are you?" You'll see its kind of fun to watch them grin when you speak...

By the way, one of my best friends lives in Galveston.

Sincerely,
Bill
I want to buy land arund Penobscot bay area. Any insights?

Old 02-09-2007, 07:26 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,430,011 times
I know this isn't helpful at all, but seeing the post about people being "fascinated" reminded me of a funny story my mom shares about her childhood.

She was raised in Houston, where there is substantial ethnic diversity, however, back then, the schools were still segregated in her area. She and my grandma were in the local market one day, and a little African American girl approached her to say hello and just stood there smiling at her. This was the very first time my mother had ever seen a real, live girl of color. She reached out her finger and wiped the little girl's face to see if the paint would come off! The two mothers stood there in shock for a minute, not sure how the other would react, then both burst into laughter. The girls had no idea what the problem was! Isn't it funny how our children know nothing of racial bias until we teach it to them?

So, I hope no-one tries to rub the beautiful brown skin off your faces! I, myself, am Cherokee with some Irish mixed in, and I'm always mistaken for being Hispanic. I can't tell you how many times women approach me in the grocery stores in Houston and start speaking to me in Spanish. I'm always a little embarrassed when I have to say "No habla Espanole."

Old 02-09-2007, 09:53 PM

37,476 posts, read 61,444,537 times
you will enjoy it here.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 6,715 times
Default apartments

My son is stationed in Rockland Maine...its really nice and the apartments are cheap...Rockland is a nice town and the other one that everyone loves is Camden. Good luck...oh and to find a place go to the local newspaper (village soup)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine