Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 09:18 PM

7 posts, read 32,705 times

Advertisements

This may sound odd, but we are leaving San Diego's 75 degree new year's eve temperature, and traveling to Portland and Rockland ME for a week. As a photographer I am hoping to capture some of winter's beauty while there. Aside from the freezing cold, does anyone have any indication of what we might expect? Our plan is to arrive in Portland on the 28th of December, spend a couple of days, then drive in a rental up to Rockland for the remaining week. A good place to pick up local winter clothing in Porland? Tips on areas of beauty? Things to avoid? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 08:47 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegocouple View Post
A good place to pick up local winter clothing in Portland?
There is an LL Bean store right downtown that would be great for winter clothing. You could also try the Army Surplus store. If you just want cheap winter stuff to get you by for a few days maybe try Goodwill. Traveling 10 minutes or so will get you to the Maine mall where there is plenty of clothing places. There is also the LL Bean factory store in Freeport on the way to Rockland about 25 minutes north of portland.

I suggest going to the typical site seeing places like Fort Williams, the Old Port, and maybe some of the nature parks. Baxter boulevard, Baxter Island, Wolf Necks park, Stroudwater, cresant beach, two lights, Fort Preble, etc. Check any of those out. Just get a good map and go to what looks interesting to you.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:05 AM

26 posts, read 167,140 times
Default Belfast, Maine for New Years

Hi I saw your post and I thought I would respond about an experience we had on New Years in Maine three years ago. We spent it in Belfast, Maine for their annual celebration. It was awesome; like a trip back in time. The whole town celebrates! It was truly one of the nicest memories I have. We stayed at a B&B, which gave us passes. Here's the info:

"Belfast's- New Years By the Bay celebrates its 10th Year! Come join us in Downtown Belfast for the celebration! NYBB hosts a series of performances by various entertainers at multiple venues throughout the City. Among the performers maybe Mimes, Belly Dancers, Muscians, Comedians, Storytellers, Fiddlers and much, much, more! Watch for more information at www.nybb.org! Coming Soon"

Hope this helps!

Old 11-28-2006, 11:04 AM

The scarborough marsh, the audubon society in Falmouth and maybe even Pineland Farms in Gray/New Gloucester are good places to visit for nature too. Pineland Farms is out of the way, but if you have the time and desire I might check it out. The other ones I already mentioned before are more worthwhile and closer though.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:36 PM

Cool New Years Eve in Rockland

Thanks for the great resonses, we feel really good about heading back to Maine for New Years. How about the best place for that legendary Maine Lobster dinner? Portland? Or wait until we are in Rockland? Or maybe when we go up to Belfast for New Years? Where would a local go for the best, most unforgettable lobster dinner?

Also, we may be going out to Peaks Island. Any tips from someone about that?

Thanks much!

Old 11-30-2006, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 30,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegocouple View Post
A good place to pick up local winter clothing in Porland? Tips on areas of beauty?
Yes, try the LLBean store in Freeport. It makes sense.

http://www.llbean.com/shop/retailStores/freeportFlagshipStore/retail.html?sc1=Search (broken link)

Areas of beauty? For a photographer, you'll want to hope for some light snow to dust everything, although eavy snows have their own charm in the harbors.

I'd recommend a trip to some of the harbor towns with working fishing fleets that might be around that time of year. Some good photo ops might come from that. Downtown portland and some of the waterfront would be nice for photos. There's a new bridge up in Waldo and Hancock counties that has an observatory. http://www.waldohancockbridge.com/waldo-county-bridge/ I think it's open now. (unfortunately, it seems the state websites are gawdawful slow these days). And of course Mount Desert Island and Bar Harbor are nice.

But Rockland will be nice as well as any of hte other towns along the way. Find some smaller towns and harbors for some more of the quaint photos that you might find. Orr's Island, Bailey Island, and the like just East of Freeport might be good choices.

And don't forget to stop in Yarmouth at the DeLorme factory store to see Eartha, the worlds largest globe. You can pick up your Maine Atlas and Gazatteer there.

And of course, I'd be remiss to say "Why not go to the point most Eastern and be the first to greet the new year - West Quoddy Head, Maine." Of course, that'd be way far away from your plans. But it bears saying. Partly because the most Eastern Point in the US is "WEST" Quoddy Head.

Good luck, hope you have a good time.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:53 PM

Default Best Lobster Dinner in Portland/Rockland area?

Wow, We have had some great, thoughtful replies to our posts about a new years trip to mid-coastal Maine. Any suggestions on where the best, most memorable Maine lobster dinner might be had in the area? Thanks so much.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:19 AM

Going from the fanciest place to the least fancy: DeMillos Floating restaurant, the Old Port sea grill, Joes boathouse, captain newicks, the weathervane, lucky catch lobster, the lobster shack, beckys diner. Also, chowderheads is really good for fresh seafood, but I'm not sure they have lobster. These are all around the Portland area, I cant really help you with other areas. There are alot more places that i cant think of right now.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:28 AM

2 posts, read 14,428 times
Red Lobster restaurant

Old 12-19-2006, 12:47 PM

10 posts, read 24,850 times
Good lobster in ?
Thats like asking where to find a good Taco in Texas!
Expensive doesnt always mean good, but the diner down the street may be exellent.

I never spent New Years eve in Rockland but I have in Camden, which is a few miles north, and they shoot of the fireworks right over the harbor.
One year we watched from the top of Mout Battie it was fun but it was a little too far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine