Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 07:54 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,736,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMartin View Post
Nobody is saying it has nothing to do with it, just far less than we are being force fed to believe.

If people can't simply look around their towns and see every different brand at all three grades at various gas stations at the exact same price (I remember when this wasn't the case) and not see the price collusion (on the micro scale) and understand that is is also happening on a macro scale, then they are just succumbing to all the industry/government propaganda.
Oh I agree..........there is a lot geopolitical play behind the price of OIL in this country...........and in the world!

But I also look at the big picture and see that the Price of Oil is pegged to the American Dollar.......and how American's have ALWAYS enjoyed the lowest costs for fuel for non productions countries........and still are!

Not saying that I sleep soundly at night thinking big brother is watching out for me.................but...............when I read on this forum from those who blame the government that there is and OIL MAN in the white house.........but yet want government to solve this too......Its all a little contradicting, Both parties are part of this situation whether or not it is a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:21 AM

278 posts, read 702,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Honda and Toyota have the ability to see into the future, but American car manufactures are severely lacking in that department.
Are Japanese car manufacturers unionized?

Old 07-21-2008, 09:57 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,450,359 times
That is a major obstacle for US automakers. Japan's workforce is non-union and the assembly plants for Japanese cars in America are also open shop.
US automakers pay top wages and benefits, whether they sell 100 or 100,000 cars.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,300,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamba View Post
Are Japanese car manufacturers unionized?
Toyota has about 58,000 unionized workers in Japan, but they are not too keen on Detroit's version of the auto union, so no, they are not unionized in the US. Canada is putting pressure on them to unionize up there.

Save your breath if you are going to give me an anti-union rant.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Save your breath if you are going to give me an anti-union rant.
Thank you - unions are always so helpful.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:33 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,594,933 times
You cant blame the unions for everything. I have belonged to a couple of worthless ones. But, for the sake of prevailing wage employment, it was well worth it!

I read recently that the $52 dollars an hour wages GM was paying were 68 percent of what workers were making in 1914, adjusted for inflation and taxes. Now they are expected to build cars for 19 percent of what workers were making in 1914.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:36 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,736,748 times
My dad was a union man. He worked 6 days a week for 30 years, never called in sick unless he was near death, and always put the value of the company first. I do not know if this was a generational thing.......or just where he worked. But all the guys he worked with felt this way......work hard and be well compensated for it.

On the other side I see teachers union's consistantly crying poor and IMO are way too powerfull, I see that GM's union has basically held hostage this company from ever regaining their prominance in this world again.

As far as Japan goes I think its hard to compare Unions vs non unions. Don't these people just have a different culture all together. So these car companies may not have to deal with unions.............but the ceo's of these companies also don't make nearly as much as the ceo's here in America.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post

As far as Japan goes I think its hard to compare Unions vs non unions.
True. Maybe they're just smarter?

Old 07-21-2008, 01:24 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,300,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamba View Post
True. Maybe they're just smarter?
Japan is a culture that still honors a mutual benefit between worker and employer. Many Japanese devote their lives and loyalty to a single employer and that employer rewards the employee with retirement packages, paid sick leave, vacation time, medical expenses in some instances. It's also the Japanese culture. Loyalty and honor take precedent over everything else (yes, back stabbing does happen from time to time) so there really is not a need for unions. America hasn't been this way since what, the sixties?

I have worked both with unions and against unions; have seen the benefit to both sides as well as the horrors and uselessness of either side. It is my opinion that it is a shame that in this country some people need to unionize, if for anything to receive a decent wage.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
You cant blame the unions for everything.
And for that part that we can't, who should we blame? Environmentalists? Democrats? Women?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine