Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:50 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,409,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
We as a culture are about to face the toughest challenge we've faced since 1941. We're going to have to grow up. Some people will manage that a little faster than others. Some won't manage it at all. They'll blame the conspiracy and whine for the government to "do something" so they won't have to accept personal responsibility. We each have to choose which course we take.
I've got to spread it around but, I.O.U. 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 08:56 PM

65 posts, read 156,302 times
What they do is put out a series of talking heads to give interviews and tell people it's all about supply and demand..... supply and demand. Chinese growth, demand and India. They know who the right 'industry experts' are, and the research funding goes to keep them in place. These are the people you hear talking on the radio, giving interviews to reporters, saying their bit on Fox, CNN or MSNBC.
This work goes on all the time in the form of their public relations teams - there to constantly answer questions, and provide Energy and business reporters the access they need to the big hitters.

They're in damage limitation mode at the moment, they're frightened that a legislative backlash - which is why we saw gas prices plateau at close to $4, despite another $10-$20 added to the price of oil - profits this quarter will be flat, despite the fact they've benefited from oil price increases in the past.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:10 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,714,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I've got to spread it around but, I.O.U. 1
I hate paying $4.33 a gallon for gasoline but I also hate the laziness and complacency that keeps us from finding newer technologies to, if not replace oil based transportation, become a viable alternative in the long term. There are alternatives that just need some research and development to become acceptable to the public. When something comes online in significant volume and servicability to compare favorably with the performance of oil based fuels,we will see a slow swing in the technology. Hopefully these changes will bring about pollution free vehicles with reasonable fuel ranges to interest consumers in large numbers. This is when you will see a real dive in oil pricing and a leveling out of energy prices in general. Fuel will again become a non issue and it's pricing will have little effect on the economy on a day to day basis. Oil just needs a little competition. Perhaps one of the nearly bankrupt Detroit car companies will see the light and dump some real money into R&D before they go under selling gasoline fueled cars. If not some smart outfit in Germany, Sweden or Japan will.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:06 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,276,673 times
There is more oil in the world then what 'they' are leading us to believe; and there is definitely enough right here in North America to get us off of 'foreign oil'. But it is not that simple. The money and politics behind it are not that simple. Too many prominent powerful Americans are invested in foreign oil. It is easier to control the price here at home when the stuff is coming from somewhere else.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:22 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,276,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I hate paying $4.33 a gallon for gasoline but I also hate the laziness and complacency that keeps us from finding newer technologies to, if not replace oil based transportation, become a viable alternative in the long term. There are alternatives that just need some research and development to become acceptable to the public. When something comes online in significant volume and servicability to compare favorably with the performance of oil based fuels,we will see a slow swing in the technology. Hopefully these changes will bring about pollution free vehicles with reasonable fuel ranges to interest consumers in large numbers. This is when you will see a real dive in oil pricing and a leveling out of energy prices in general. Fuel will again become a non issue and it's pricing will have little effect on the economy on a day to day basis. Oil just needs a little competition. Perhaps one of the nearly bankrupt Detroit car companies will see the light and dump some real money into R&D before they go under selling gasoline fueled cars. If not some smart outfit in Germany, Sweden or Japan will.
Good post.

There are a few developers in America that are leading the way. One is called Tesla Technologies who is doing some serious research into alternative fuel sources; primarily for vehicles. They have developed a sports car that runs off of a fuel cell system. The vehicle can go from zero to sixty in about six seconds and has a top speed of 120 mph. And the thing looks like a futuristic sports car. The only problem (besides being priced at a hundred grand) is that it has a maximum driving range of less then 200 miles between charges. Another US upstart has developed a similar car.

The Detroit Boys cannot, for the life of them obviously, see past next quarters profits. Honda and Toyota have the ability to see into the future, but American car manufactures are severely lacking in that department. The Big Three are now, thanks simply to the high gas prices and the apparent popularity of Japanese-good-gas-milage-cars, are limiting their productions of SUV's and trucks while turning there focus to smaller vehicles. Good move on their part, but they are still not giving the consumer something that could maximize their profits and still be 'green'. Guess that it is still all about the next quarter; business as usual.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:17 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,730,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y200 View Post
What they do is put out a series of talking heads to give interviews and tell people it's all about supply and demand..... supply and demand. Chinese growth, demand and India. They know who the right 'industry experts' are, and the research funding goes to keep them in place. These are the people you hear talking on the radio, giving interviews to reporters, saying their bit on Fox, CNN or MSNBC.
This work goes on all the time in the form of their public relations teams - there to constantly answer questions, and provide Energy and business reporters the access they need to the big hitters.

They're in damage limitation mode at the moment, they're frightened that a legislative backlash - which is why we saw gas prices plateau at close to $4, despite another $10-$20 added to the price of oil - profits this quarter will be flat, despite the fact they've benefited from oil price increases in the past.

So......you think demand has nothing to do with the price of OIL or GAS?

What do you think is going on?

Old 07-21-2008, 05:33 AM

109 posts, read 222,366 times
Nobody is saying it has nothing to do with it, just far less than we are being force fed to believe.

If people can't simply look around their towns and see every different brand at all three grades at various gas stations at the exact same price (I remember when this wasn't the case) and not see the price collusion (on the micro scale) and understand that is is also happening on a macro scale, then they are just succumbing to all the industry/government propaganda.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:40 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,738,104 times
$3.81 a gallon at Valero and Irving in Newport last night at 6 PM. Demand is going down. OK, everybody, what happens when there is a steady supply and demand goes down? They have a sale to get rid of excess product.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Will someone please settle for me who owns and controls the media. So far this week it's been Big Oil (whoever that is), the banksters (whoever they are), the government (whoever that is), and either George Soros or Bill Gates. For that matter, what is the media -- newspapers? magazines? YouTube? CNN? Show me, please, how all of these information outlets, plus the Internet, shortwave radio, and MPBN, are controlled by Big Oil.
This post exhibits a fundamental misunderstanding of real American history. If you go back and study how the Rockefeller family used bribery, theft, arson and political machinations to take charge of 90% of the nation's oil industry and our political processes in the 1880s and 1890s (when oil was used only for kerosene lanterns!), you can start to understand why the antitrust legislation of the 1890s and 1900s was demanded by the citizenry and the few remaining honest politicians. (You can also see how the "Seven Sisters" emerged from the 1911 "breakup" of Standard Oil to keep the controlling interests in the same hands.)

You can start by reading Ida Tarbell and a slew of other investigators/writers of that early period if you want to know how all of this was accomplished. When it was reported in 1908 that John D. Rockefeller was the richest man on the planet with a net worth of $3 billion, he decided it was time to go underground. Enter Frederick T. Gates, the bogus "philanthropies" and (of course) tax exempt foundations and major media purchases, and the whitewashing process began. The Rockefeller empire is barely ever mentioned now, and yet, it would seem logical to the honest observer that a family that was the richest in the world and controlled a large portion of the world's oil before combustion engines, airplanes, diesel trains and ships, and oil furnaces might still be kind of powerful. Don't you think?

The Rockefellers and their minions also control the private "Federal" "Reserve" System, which they forced through a lame duck Congress in the middle of the night, along with the Income Tax Amendment, using their henchman (and relatives) in Congress. There are a plethora of books documenting all this as well. Start with G. Edward Griffin's "The Creature from Jekyll Island" or anything by Eustace Mullins on the subject. EM Josephson's "The Federal Reserve Conspiracy and the Rockefellers: Their Gold Corner" is also a seminal work. To see how big oil and big banking are intimately tied together, just Google: "Federal Reserve" AND "Rockefellers" and then go to work.

You use the same canard that their controlled academia uses all the time. "Where are your citations?" Look, they have the money and the power to cover up whatever needs covering up. You aren't going to find lists of all of their media holdings, because they use interlocking boards of directors, secretive holding companies, and a whole slew of other techniques (not only in big oil and big media, but in every other industry they control as well) to obfuscate the truth.

Again, do you find it believable that not one Rockefeller is ever listed among the Forbes or Barron's lists of the world's wealthiest individuals? Of course not!

Quote:
Jeez, how in the world can you say these discoveries aren't known when YOU know about them, some guy from Nowhere, Maine? Oil shale has been written about for the last 35 years in every publication I can think of. The Bakken field has had stories all over the place, from local weeklies to the national newspapers.
The point is not that some of the information has leaked out, but that these HUGE resources are still not being developed while big oil screams "peak oil," "peak oil," whines about OPEC--which they also set up and control, and crank the price levers at the pump ever higher. Don't excuse the major problem (THAT THESE RESOURCES AREN'T BEING DEVELOPED) by using the minor fact that we've wrested tidbits of the truth out through the internet (which they are seeking desperately to control RIGHT NOW) to build a case for "openness." That's just laughable.

Quote:
I know it's a lot of fun to blame some shadowy, all-powerful conspiracy for all that's wrong with the world, but ask yourself this -- if there's a conspiracy to keep all this information secret, how do YOU know about it? Or ME, for that matter. And how are we able to shout the news across the Internet without black helicopters swooping in and a corporate SWAT team hustling us off to an underground facility in Area 51?
When they are fully convinced that it is safe to crack down, they will. Until then we must be buoyed by the knowledge that there is still hope. I laugh whenever some "conspiracy debunker squad" goon brings up black helicopters. The day after my letter to the editor was published in 1995 in the Lewiston Sun Journal laying out 30-year veteran and explosives expert Brig. General Benton Partin's views that the Murrah Building could not have been brought down without cutting charges inside the building, a black unmarked Cobra hovered over my home in downtown Livermore Falls. The chopper was witnessed also by hundreds of school children who were outside for their school-year ending field day activities. It was reported in the Livermore Falls Advertiser. We know all about black helicopters, the FEMA camps, Rex-84, The Department of Fath...uh...Homeland Security, etc., etc. Why? BECAUSE WE DO OUR HOMEWORK. No, total information control has not yet been achieved by TPTB, but trust me, they are working on it.

Quote:
We as a culture are about to face the toughest challenge we've faced since 1941. We're going to have to grow up. Some people will manage that a little faster than others. Some won't manage it at all. They'll blame the conspiracy and whine for the government to "do something" so they won't have to accept personal responsibility. We each have to choose which course we take.
There is a lot of truth, at least, in this paragraph. We have mostly forgotten what self reliance and citizenship entails. Nationally, we are going to have a rude awakening, for sure.

I doubt that as many will whine for "the government to do something" as might have been the case a few years ago though. People are beginning to see through the whole "liberty for security" tradeoff scandal, and aren't buying it as much anymore.

Those who understand what 911 was really all about are now outnumbering those who don't.

TPTB are in a very nervous and crucial period in their quest for real life global domination . They really need to pull of another 911 soon before all the "useless eaters" awaken, but they know too many are watching now--especially within the military itself.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:36 AM

Smedley Butler on the Rockefellers and Interventionism

-- Excerpt from a speech delivered in 1933, by Major General Smedley Butler, USMC.
War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses. I believe in adequate defense at the coastline and nothing else. If a nation comes over here to fight, then we'll fight. The trouble with America is that when the dollar only earns 6 percent over here, then it gets restless and goes overseas to get 100 percent. Then the flag follows the dollar and the soldiers follow the flag. I wouldn't go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket. There isn't a trick in the racketeering bag that the military gang is blind to. It has its "finger men" to point out enemies, its "muscle men" to destroy enemies, its "brain men" to plan war preparations, and a "Big Boss" Super-Nationalistic-Capitalism. It may seem odd for me, a military man to adopt such a comparison. Truthfulness compels me to. I spent thirty- three years and four months in active military service as a member of this country's most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class muscle- man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I suspected I was just part of a racket at the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all the members of the military profession, I never had a thought of my own until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service. I helped make Mexico, especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912 (where have I heard that name before?). I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested. During those years, I had, as the boys in the back room would say, a swell racket. Looking back on it, I feel that I could have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine