Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 06:09 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,339,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Have you had to deal with the shutdown of the southbound side of I-95 from Richmond to Topsham yet?
I had to take the SAAB to Augusta for rear shocks blown out from the lovely roads this spring. Only to find I had to take 201 from Gardiner to Topsham on the way home! It was a nice ride but much longer than the highway. I'll bet those living along 201 are not real happy with the increase in traffic!
That was my Easter gift to me.... to take my car in for new struts, tires, and a front end alignment. Thanks to the roads around us.

I guess it's just me frustrated about the roads but the new bridge here is being put in the wrong area ( I think) and it's taken up all the areas time for needed road repair.

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 06-23-2008 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: nk add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 06:46 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,110,227 times
I read all the road closure debates in the papers, and for awhile, thought they were going to go with the option of making 295 North a two-lane north/south route, instead of re-routing southbound traffic to 201. Not sure why they they didn't ---- except that they hoped a lot of folks would re-route themselves to 95 instead.

I'm glad to hear there's increased police activity to catch speeders. In my experience around here, if a speed limit sign says 30-45, nobody will be doing less than 50, and most 55., even around dangerous corners and through village centers.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:10 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,771 times
LOVE road construction. Its paid our bills for many many years, and will continue to do so..albeit in another state.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:14 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,673,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
I read all the road closure debates in the papers, and for awhile, thought they were going to go with the option of making 295 North a two-lane north/south route, instead of re-routing southbound traffic to 201. Not sure why they they didn't ---- except that they hoped a lot of folks would re-route themselves to 95 instead.

I'm glad to hear there's increased police activity to catch speeders. In my experience around here, if a speed limit sign says 30-45, nobody will be doing less than 50, and most 55., even around dangerous corners and through village centers.
They would have had to come up with 20 miles of those Jersey barrier concrete things to divide the northbound lane in two and it was just too expensive.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:44 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,110,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
They would have had to come up with 20 miles of those Jersey barrier concrete things to divide the northbound lane in two and it was just too expensive.
Ah.....that makes sense..........

Old 06-23-2008, 10:50 AM

71 posts, read 421,790 times
Help! I need clarification. Are we talking about the southern route of 295? Not, I-95, right? We are bringing our camper down to a campground below Bath and normally we take I-95 and then take the 295 corridor to Bath. My last ride down about a month ago to Portland left us sitting on 295 for an hour and only moving about 2 1/2 miles. We finally got off at Lisbon Falls and took a back road in to Portland. Nice ride but delayed us by almost two hours. We thought it best to use I-95 South after that to avoid the mess.

Can someone let me know so I don't end up sitting in our truck burning fuel? Maybe it would be better for me to get off at Gardiner and take the back roads down to Bath. Does anyone know if the Gardiner bridge construction is complete? That was just a nightmare to cross last summer. Thanks

Old 06-23-2008, 01:01 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,673,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemejersey View Post
Help! I need clarification. Are we talking about the southern route of 295? Not, I-95, right? We are bringing our camper down to a campground below Bath and normally we take I-95 and then take the 295 corridor to Bath. My last ride down about a month ago to Portland left us sitting on 295 for an hour and only moving about 2 1/2 miles. We finally got off at Lisbon Falls and took a back road in to Portland. Nice ride but delayed us by almost two hours. We thought it best to use I-95 South after that to avoid the mess.

Can someone let me know so I don't end up sitting in our truck burning fuel? Maybe it would be better for me to get off at Gardiner and take the back roads down to Bath. Does anyone know if the Gardiner bridge construction is complete? That was just a nightmare to cross last summer. Thanks
That is actually where they are routing the I-95 traffic now anyway. The closed section is actually I-95 from Richmond to Topsham.The whole southbound lane is closed for about an 18 mile stretch. They are re-routing traffic onto either Route 201 in Gardiner or onto I-495 (which is the Maine turnpike)

Old 06-23-2008, 09:05 PM

63 posts, read 268,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemejersey View Post

The Gardiner bridge construction is complete and I absolutely agree that crossing that bridge last year was an absolute nightmare.

The only section of road closed is I-295 southbound between Gardiner & Topsham.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:41 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Traffic is definitely a lot thicker along 201. Still... I have to keep in mind: Heavy traffic in Maine isn't really heavy traffic. The worst traffic I've been in in Maine is nothing compared to the everyday traffic I used to see in Washington State.

In Washington, I used to commute about 19 miles every day. There were times it took well over 90 minutes.

I love Maine!

Old 06-24-2008, 10:42 AM

71 posts, read 421,790 times
Yeah, Maine traffic is not usually that bad. I did encounter the back up on 295 South (end of Memorial Day weekend) and we have experienced slow congested traffic along Route 1 around Wiscasset (during the summer). However, it doesn't come close to compare to South Jersey/Phila traffic! I traveled 22 miles to my job in Phila and on average it always took me between 1 hour and 90 minutes--ONE WAY and that was without any accidents or breakdowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine