Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:58 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times

Advertisements

It's looking more and more probably that our move is going to take us to SE Maine. Job in Portland. But we'd rather live farther north. On our trip we really liked the look and feel of Brunswick, Topsham, and Durham. Bath not so much, though I'm not sure I want to write it off completely.

Can any locals give me their own pros and cons of this area?

How are the schools?

Are there any crime and safety issues in any particular neighborhoods?

Has there been any progress made on what's going to happen once the NAS closes? I'm honestly less concerned about real estate prices rebounding (which I think they will in a few years) than I am about the city and/or state opening up lots of Section 8 housing projects. Is that still a possibiility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 01:39 AM

306 posts, read 1,036,316 times
I live in Durham and I love it here. Its small but damn is it growing. I like the location because its a small rural town but boarders Auburn, Brunswick, Lewiston, Lisbon Falls and Freeport. Travel 10-20 minutes and you have everything you need. The school here is great, I was in it from Kindergarden through 8th grade. The only thing is its about 10-20 minutes away from 295 or 95 while Topsham and Brunswick is more accessable by highway.

I am not sure about the BNAS stuff though, its still in talks.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:59 PM

I've been comparing test scores in the various schools in these communities and a few others in the surrounding area.

What's up with Lisbon Falls??? Why are their test scores, on average, so much lower than communities only a few miles up the road?

Old 05-28-2007, 01:35 PM

I know kids that go to/went to Lisbon High. The drug influence is high. Higher than most other schools. Its a pretty low income blue color city.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unhappycamper View Post
The school here is great, I was in it from Kindergarden through 8th grade.
Is there no high school in Durham? Do kids go in to Brunswick or what?

Old 05-28-2007, 03:16 PM

Yeah, We have a choice of high schools but most go to Brunswick. Durham provides a bus there and back but not to Lisbon because of low enrollment. When I finished 8th grade only one person went to Lisbon. We used to have the choice between Greeley and Freeport but they cut us off.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unhappycamper View Post
Yeah, We have a choice of high schools but most go to Brunswick. Durham provides a bus there and back but not to Lisbon because of low enrollment. When I finished 8th grade only one person went to Lisbon. We used to have the choice between Greeley and Freeport but they cut us off.
Hey, thanks a million for all your replies. Much appreciated!

So let me ask you something: If you had a choice of any community in the Brunswick area in which to live, which would you choose? In your mind, which community offers the best schools and general quality of life?

Old 05-28-2007, 08:26 PM

That all comes down to what you are looking for. Both have good schools. Brunswick just has more k-5 schools. It also has a Catholic Middle School. Durham has just one big building with modulars supporting the k-8th grades. I liked it there because I got to know the teachers better in middle school because I had the same ones all three years. The school only has 400 or so students there. I should also mention that within the next two years they are building a brand spankin' new school. Its going to be all one building again with improved learning facilities ect...

The school website has more on that.

Durham Elementary School

Also things are a little bit more accessable in Brunswick, There are 3 Supermarkets, one in which is a Super Wal-Mart. There is a Lowes and a sears. Right across the river is Topsham with a Best Buy, Home Depot, Target ect... There are 21k residents in Brunswick campared to the 3.5k in Durham. In Durham all those things are about a 20-30 minute drive away depending on which part of town you live on since both Auburn and Brunswick boarder town.

Another difference between Durham and Brunswick is that Brunswick has a town council and Durham has town meetings. The thing is about the town meetings is you as the average citizen can get up an talk about issues in town and so on. Brunswick has the commity to do all that for you.

It all comes down to what you want. Personally I love this small town and would prefere to remain in a rural setting. Its not on route one but is close to it and both of Maines major highways. Also not many tourists but downtown Freeport is a 10 minute ride away.

Another Durham fun fact is Stephen King was born and raised in Durham. The school Library is also known as the Stephen King Library.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 15,269 times
I live in topsham. personally i am beginning to hate it. topsham has sold its self to the box stores, retailers and such. it has become one stop light to another. brunswick is classy and seems to not be so greedy with the money that they will sell their soul like topsham. durham is a sweet and quiet town. personally i bought 56 acres of woods, streams in litchfield. school system is good and small town. yet the box stores and good dining is 15 minutes away in topsham/brunswick. please avoid lewiston and lisbon is whats only a step up from the quality of lewiston. must be the water......
haggerty reality in lisbon is very honest and a hard worker at helping meet your needs.
take care and good luck!
tom fletcher

Old 05-29-2007, 10:42 PM

Thanks to you both for all the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine