Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 03:52 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,903,403 times

Advertisements

You know, I'm very happy to see Eastport mentioned so frequently on this forum- I don't live in Washington County, but have worried a bit about it's future since all of the canning factories and a lot of related industries closed up- it had become somewhat depressed (and maybe depressing?). It's reassuring to know that there are people who are looking to move there, not away from there.

And no.. never been there that I know of! (Pembroke, once, but I *think* that's as far as I've been..).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 04:19 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,339,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano19606 View Post
We're gonna be there from July 12th to the 19th and are champing at the bit for our vacation to begin.

Well.. I do have time to save my Yard sale money and take a trip down to meet you and the other's in Eastport.

On my end, we are painting the house, sending one to camp, finishing the yard, saving money for winter, and.... school clothes for the girls in the fall... so I can save my "pennies" for a peachie day your way.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:16 PM

129 posts, read 246,788 times
Meg Patrick's daughter got tired of Meg's tales of life at the edge of America in Eastport and suggested that she have a T-shirt printed up that said " Jesus Is Coming!!! (but only as far as Machias)"

Old 06-15-2008, 03:58 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,620 times
Default Yesterday afternoon in Eastport

The picture was taken yesterday late in the afternoon in Eastport. The people here are wonderful. There are a lot of empty buildings downtown, and I had visited Eastport in the early 80's and it did have a lot more activity. I really believe that Eastport is on the edge of making a real return. Currently there are more than 90 houses here for sale, so you should have a wide choice. The home prices are holding their own here, so don't expect any bargain basement prices.

There are so many people just like my wife and I who want a simpler, slower, more community oriented life. I suggest you subscribe to the Quoddy Tides, the local newspaper to get a real picture of everything current going on. They have a website that just gives the front page stories. I have to leave today for a couple of weeks, and I am already missing Eastport.
Attached Thumbnails
Eastport on MySpace-100_1120.jpg  

Old 06-15-2008, 04:09 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,620 times
Default Eastport Breakwater

Go to Eastport for Pride Welcomes You to Eastport to read an unbiased report on the town of Eastport. It was prepared by a committee that visited Eastport earlier this year. It contains some good information.
Attached Thumbnails
Eastport on MySpace-100_1124.jpg  

Old 06-15-2008, 05:49 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb View Post
Meg Patrick's daughter got tired of Meg's tales of life at the edge of America in Eastport and suggested that she have a T-shirt printed up that said " Jesus Is Coming!!! (but only as far as Machias)"
Is this Meg the writer? DH's aunt and Meg go way back.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:11 AM

129 posts, read 246,788 times
It's important to remember that at least half of the people in Eastport would like to put a big sign on the causeway that says "Bridge Out - Local Traffic Only". I used to spend 30 minutes a day not moving waiting for stoplights to turn green. A quiet stroll down Water street on a beautiful afternoon with a few friendly or private people passing by is part of the paradise, versus the pushing and gridlock of a place like Bar Harbor. The beautiful old buildings downtown wouldn't be here if this was a prosperous place. The soulful old houses would have been torn down years ago and McMansions or condos would be in their place. We have a rare opportunity here to define the kind of success we want for our community, and I think attracting people who will come because this is what they want is the key to keeping and polishing this paradise. Someone suggested a motto "Eastport: It's not for everybody, thank god".

Old 06-16-2008, 09:50 AM

400 posts, read 795,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb View Post
it's Important To Remember That At Least Half Of The People In Eastport Would Like To Put A Big Sign On The Causeway That Says "bridge Out - Local Traffic Only". I Used To Spend 30 Minutes A Day Not Moving Waiting For Stoplights To Turn Green. A Quiet Stroll Down Water Street On A Beautiful Afternoon With A Few Friendly Or Private People Passing By Is Part Of The Paradise, Versus The Pushing And Gridlock Of A Place Like Bar Harbor. The Beautiful Old Buildings Downtown Wouldn't Be Here If This Was A Prosperous Place. The Soulful Old Houses Would Have Been Torn Down Years Ago And Mcmansions Or Condos Would Be In Their Place. We Have A Rare Opportunity Here To Define The Kind Of Success We Want For Our Community, And I Think Attracting People Who Will Come Because This Is What They Want Is The Key To Keeping And Polishing This Paradise. Someone Suggested A Motto "eastport: It's Not For Everybody, Thank God".
Perfect!!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:54 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
My friend is up there right now....she stays out at cabins called Pocomoonshine Lake.
She was toying with the idea last year of buying Katies On the Cove Candies
Do love those needhams

Old 06-17-2008, 09:45 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,339,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
My friend is up there right now....she stays out at cabins called Pocomoonshine Lake.
She was toying with the idea last year of buying Katies On the Cove Candies
Do love those needhams
I'm a hop skip and jump from your friend.
And yes... pass the needhams please. I like the honey stixs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine