Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 12:11 PM

20 posts, read 19,918 times

Advertisements

I heard that Aroostook County was more like Canada than Maine a couple times. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 12:31 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Northern Maine Land Man is the go-to person here to answer that. Aroostook is way off the beaten path that's all I know. You looking to move there? Perhaps do a search on City Data for more information I know there's a lot you'll find.

Old 04-12-2023, 01:32 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Depends on what you mean by "like Canada."

Aroostook is definitely more rural, and the economy tends more toward farming and lumber than fishing and commerce. And the farther north you go, the more you'll run into people speaking French.

Culturally? Honestly New Brunswick isn't all that different from northern Maine --- meaning I'm not sure what you mean by "like Canada." Canada really isn't all THAT different from the USA in most respects.

Old 04-13-2023, 08:11 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
For folks who live near Portland I could see where it might be thought of as off-the-beaten-path. For me, Portland being four hours away is off-the-beaten-path.

Driving around in Aroostook your radio will pick up Canada stations, sometimes my cellphone will automatically shift to Canadian cell towers. If you have a TV, the Canadian TV stations will come in much stronger.

When assessing the regions of Maine, I think a better divide is between UTs and cities. Over 52% of Maine is UT. [UT - Unorganized Townships]

I live in a UT in Penobscot County. Aroostook is much closer to me than Portland would be.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:57 AM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Aroostook is definitely its own thing, but so is very part of Maine from one another. It's a large state. And even within the County itself, it makes a big difference whether you're northern or southern. Madawaska is very different from Houlton.

Last edited by massnative71; 04-13-2023 at 10:11 AM..

Old 04-15-2023, 06:06 PM

846 posts, read 1,019,577 times
I live in Washington County. When I come down my driveway my truck clock switches to Atlantic time. The border is about 100 feet off shore. The only house I see is in New Brunswick from my place. I do a lot of business in New Brunswick, if eating out we go to New Brunswick. My dollar is worth $1.30 CDN Calais, ME and St Stephen, NB are really extensions of the same municipality.

Old 04-18-2023, 02:02 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,202,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
I live in Washington County. When I come down my driveway my truck clock switches to Atlantic time. The border is about 100 feet off shore. The only house I see is in New Brunswick from my place. I do a lot of business in New Brunswick, if eating out we go to New Brunswick. My dollar is worth $1.30 CDN Calais, ME and St Stephen, NB are really extensions of the same municipality.

sort of off topic but can you cross into Canada as easily as you used to?

I grew up near Niagara Falls. When we crossed into Canada they'd just ask up where we were from and how long we were staying. Coming back, was anything to declare. *we always forgot to mention those fireworks)

Old 04-20-2023, 06:27 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
sort of off topic but can you cross into Canada as easily as you used to?

I grew up near Niagara Falls. When we crossed into Canada they'd just ask up where we were from and how long we were staying. Coming back, was anything to declare. *we always forgot to mention those fireworks)
Things changed a bit after 9/11. You now have to have a passport. And the pandemic certainly threw a wrench in the gears, but those restrictions have largely been lifted. In my experience ...

Canadian border guards check your passports, may have a quick glance in the car, and ask why you're visiting. You tell them, they wish you a happy visit and wave you on your way.

American border guards check your passports, may search your car, and ask what you were doing in Canada and what you're bringing back. You tell them, and most of the time they welcome you back and wave you on your way. But sometimes the Americans can be suspicious and even downright rude.

I have NEVER had Canadian guards ask me to pull over while they searched the car. I have had American guards do it twice.

Old 04-20-2023, 08:34 AM

846 posts, read 1,019,577 times
I have NEVER had Canadian guards ask me to pull over while they searched the car. I have had American guards do it twice.
What he said.
As I am a local I don't get much hassle around here but crossing elsewhere such as Madawaska or Houlton can be cumbersome. In Calais, there are three border crossings. I have my passport then I pull up, have driver side window down before I get there, look them in the eye and generally only respond to what I'm asked. I went over for 30 minutes yesterday to buy a battery for my dump truck as they haven't got the memo yet at Canadien Tire to gouge you yet. The same battery was $60 cheaper in Canada. That is the exception (aside from restaurants) rather than the rule with most things.

Old 04-24-2023, 05:26 AM

12,379 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapmatician View Post
I heard that Aroostook County was more like Canada than Maine a couple times. Is this true?
If you go off to the west of northern Maine, you've got Quebec City, Montreal, Trois-Rivieres, Sherbrooke and many smaller cities and towns - for Canada anyway, it's pretty densely settled and there's a good deal of French speaking going on. I think to the north and east though, it's more similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine