Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:15 AM

111 posts, read 331,667 times

Advertisements

hello.....i am interested in purchasing land in maine... 25 or so acres...fairly secluded with some sort of river/stream/brook front....do not want all woodland.....ideally some clearing/field & a view would be nice......not interested in close neighbors...plan to build a cabin on the land.....
please advise if you can help or direct me
thanks
jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 08:29 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,905,444 times
Maine is 35,384.65 square miles in size (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108355.html). Where about do you want to be? "Fairly secluded" applies to about 95% of the state. North, South, Coastal, Inland, close to a population center? If close to a population center, what is your idea of what makes up that definition? I could suggest a 25 acre plot of land that is out in BFE, but is a tad too secluded for most, or not enough for others.

A bit more detail is helpful. What do you do for income, do you have to work at a centralized location or can you do it from home. Retired? Kids at home? School district needed or not? Healthcare facilities need to be close? etc...

Old 05-17-2008, 10:03 AM

Default land

hello ..thanks for your reply....i have been looking for a camp in this general area....athens to burlington ( e & w) and milo to bangor area( n & s)...have reviews several camps on line & plan to be in maine mid-august to check some of them out....then just yesterday i talking to a guy in maine via email who said he could build me a cabin....so this has opened up a whole different approach..... purchase land and have a cabin of my design built on the property.....however just starting my researches on this new opportunity....

will not be working.....no family just me.....access in & out of the camp is important....someone told me there are people who plow for a fee....so not looking too long of an access road......from what i have seen on google earth there are lots of small towns where i suppose i could get supplies and hopefully find a bar !....never know when one will need health care but not that important to me for the moment anyways !

hope this info helps

thanks
jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Maine is 35,384.65 square miles in size (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108355.html). Where about do you want to be? "Fairly secluded" applies to about 95% of the state. North, South, Coastal, Inland, close to a population center? If close to a population center, what is your idea of what makes up that definition? I could suggest a 25 acre plot of land that is out in BFE, but is a tad too secluded for most, or not enough for others.

A bit more detail is helpful. What do you do for income, do you have to work at a centralized location or can you do it from home. Retired? Kids at home? School district needed or not? Healthcare facilities need to be close? etc...

Old 05-17-2008, 11:19 AM

37,510 posts, read 61,545,240 times
There is a lot of empty land available in Maine.

Much of it markets for fairly low prices.

Hills, flat, sloping, flood plane, forested, riverfrontage, there is a lot of really nice stuff in Maine.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:08 AM

27 posts, read 66,258 times
Have you checked on ebay? alot of land on there from maine and also they have a lot of do it yourself cabin kits that look pretty nice from 10,000 to 30,000 dollars.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:41 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,587,577 times
48 acres old farmland, foundation, stone walls, apple trees $55k. Alder Stream

23 acres $39k. Plymouth

82 acres wood and field, barn, well, septic $139k Guilford

Plenty around!

Old 07-25-2008, 12:08 PM

hello...thanks for the replies....im flying to maine in 2 weeks for 5 days so time is of the essense to me now....im seeing 3 properties so far....2 cabins & 1 land parcel....outside of that not much going on.....i do want some sort of waterfront...i checked out a prefab cabin....price is ok for what i want....problems is with buying land the extra expenses for driveway & gravel which gets pretty expensive.....plus no doubt alot more work to buy land then cabin instead of just getting a cabin & doing whatever i need to make it home....biggest problem is with agents....just found one decent guy who is willing to show me around....from the 10 agent i emailed only 1 came thru....another is a possibility...3 others said they have nothing in my price range...hard to believe they have no waterfront land for 30-35k but that is what i was told and 5 agents have ignored my emails.... these agents are not interested in taking me all over maine for a small 30-60k sale...i don't blame them either... i'm willing to go beyond for the service....have to watch what i say here...been edited before for solicitating by the folks who run this...so if anyone has suggestions,land,cabins....i have 4 of the 5 days i'll be in maine wide open !
my budgets are 30-35k for land only & up to around 60k for land & cabin
many thanks
jim

Old 07-25-2008, 12:16 PM

37,510 posts, read 61,545,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim65970 View Post
hello...thanks for the replies....im flying to maine in 2 weeks for 5 days so time is of the essense to me now....im seeing 3 properties so far....2 cabins & 1 land parcel....outside of that not much going on.....i do want some sort of waterfront...i checked out a prefab cabin....price is ok for what i want....problems is with buying land the extra expenses for driveway & gravel which gets pretty expensive.....plus no doubt alot more work to buy land then cabin instead of just getting a cabin & doing whatever i need to make it home....biggest problem is with agents....just found one decent guy who is willing to show me around....from the 10 agent i emailed only 1 came thru....another is a possibility...3 others said they have nothing in my price range...hard to believe they have no waterfront land for 30-35k but that is what i was told and 5 agents have ignored my emails.... these agents are not interested in taking me all over maine for a small 30-60k sale...i don't blame them either... i'm willing to go beyond for the service....have to watch what i say here...been edited before for solicitating by the folks who run this...so if anyone has suggestions,land,cabins....i have 4 of the 5 days i'll be in maine wide open !
many thanks
jim
Likewise I also bought waterfront land and moved to Maine. Building our own house.

Having dealth with many realtors in Maine, I feel for you and your experiences.

Keep looking and don't give up. Very nice land is available in Maine, for low prices.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:08 PM

good day to all......someone is watching over me for sure....i sent this original post in may......here we are 7/25 only 2 weeks before my visit to maine and i get a wealth of information...so thank you all !... i have some good leads now and i''m checking them all out....will keep you posted !
i send you all my very best
jim owens

Old 07-25-2008, 08:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,761,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim65970 View Post
many thanks
jim
We have some great brokers who are members of this forum.
Perhaps NMLM is available to show you around, mainebrokerman or Whofanme.
All are long time members. You can't go wrong with any of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine