Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 05:55 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,709,803 times

Advertisements

Cold Stream has power, phone and a T1 line to most of the lake. It is under 45 minutes to the Bangor Mall.

Elm Pond is really back of beyond. It's a pretty pond surrounded by about 8,000,000 acres of timber company land. It is the only privately owned land in the region. It is an expedition to get to the Bangor Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 06:38 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
... Forest beekeeper, if you really know of land available for $300 per acre, why keep it such a big secret? ...
I have been giving my contact's name to anyone who asks.

I have sent you a DM.

My method was that while I was driving around following realtor directions looking at lots that I could not afford, I kept seeing hand written signs nailed to trees with phone numbers. So after a long struggle dealing the realtors, I finally began calling some of those numbers, which was when I found that there are native Mainers who buy and sell land. For much lower than the 'professionals' do.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:43 AM

My land had been clear cut and about a third of it is wetland. Today it is mostly thick brush and saplings. A lot of stumps and underground logs.

I doubt that any of it will be able to be timbered again in my lifetime. However it hosts a lot of wildlife; provides a lot of firewood, peat and fiddleheads; and can support a bunch of goats and sheep.

My 'views' are trees.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:16 AM

8 posts, read 62,273 times
I agree that the best way to find reasonably priced raw land is to search locally, for parcels being sold by owners...which is why I came here. It's difficult to find those leads when you don't live in the area.
Quote:
My land had been clear cut and about a third of it is wetland. Today it is mostly thick brush and saplings. A lot of stumps and underground logs.
I doubt that any of it will be able to be timbered again in my lifetime. However it hosts a lot of wildlife; provides a lot of firewood, peat and fiddleheads; and can support a bunch of goats and sheep.
My 'views' are trees.
Sounds awesome.

We have a slight advantage over most folks because we are not limited to areas with power/phone lines etc...as long as there is a road to the property (dirt or otherwise) we're good to go.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone...keep 'em coming I'll explore the avenues you've suggested.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:56 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,501,345 times
Yes...agreed! This DOES put a whole different perspective on it! It is good to see the "low" as well as the "high". Lots of people - realtors, sellers - just assume you want primo lots with all the trimmings. We don't have all the trimmings down here in RI; just a normal house that we've fixed up to look like the rest in the area. As I've posted elsewhere, it was my wife who found it and bought it!

And yes, the idea of living 'off-grid' is appealing to us more and more. We have 2 generators and 2 wood stoves. "Give us a road to the property (dirt or otherwise) and we're good to go". Welcome aboard, US Mountain Man! You have stirred the pot!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:43 AM

278 posts, read 700,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

My 'views' are trees.
Forest, with all due respect to your inexpensive land-purchasing techniques, didn't your property get flooded recently? Could this be a reason why the price and taxes are so low?

Old 05-11-2008, 10:17 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamba View Post
Forest, with all due respect to your inexpensive land-purchasing techniques, didn't your property get flooded recently? Could this be a reason why the price and taxes are so low?
We had a "Hundred Year Event" with the flooding. whole towns were flooded, bridges and roads closed and one county has been declared a disaster. Forest wasn't the only person to have this most unusual flooding invade his space. After about 15 feet of snow melted we had heavy rains along with some ice still in the major rivers. It was a mess.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamba View Post
Could be.

We knew that this was low-land. We knew that by living alongside a river, there exists the possibility that we might be flooded from time to time.

The LURC maps show that we could expect to be major flooded about once a century, with minor flooding about every 20 years.

My Dw and I discussed this when we decided to build here.

It did effect our building design a bit too.

So far from that major flood our damage looks to be about $200 and a third of that has been in fuel costs to pump water.

If a huge 'once a century' type flood is going to do this level of damage to us, well, so be it.

As the water is going down, soon I can go pick fiddleheads again, and market them.

Life goes on, and prosperity abounds.

Labamba - With all due respect, I think that perhaps we have different world views.

You see lemons, I see lemonade.

In my previous career:
I have walked on and sailed beneath arctic ice fields;
I have battled flooding incidents that kill men;
I have worked alongside men who have been killed by electrical fire-balls shooting out from the equipment they were working on;
I have fought raging high-pressure oil and liquid oxygen fires.

Good friends on mine have died from exposure to the materials that we were living among. I survived, and I got my pension.

If this is the most of an obstacle that Maine present. The 'worst' winter, the highest flooding, ... If this is the worst that Maine can muster up, it ain't nothing.

This is near heaven.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:28 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,501,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You see lemons, I see lemonade.
If this is the worst that Maine can muster up, it ain't nothing.
This is near heaven.

Words of wisdom! We definitely are interested in that "second-class land" that has no views, and a price that's music to my ears! We may settle on something in-between, but why waste money (or worse - go into debt for it!) on land that just invites "keeping up with the Jones's"? We have both had enough of that down here.

We hope our next home will be a place of comfort and security to us as we get older. It's not just for a camp. We are making a deliberate decision to retire rather than to work to age 75 or 80, to support our current lifestyle, which we no longer enjoy. It may not be the Ritz, but I've found that work will improve most situations.

Trouble is, most folks don't want to work to make something inexpensive into a gem. I have found that to be a worthwhile effort.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:07 PM

449 posts, read 1,126,949 times
I'm really wondering...what is a fiddlehead? I've lived in a number of states and have never heard that before! I can't be the only one that is wondering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine