Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 05:10 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times

Advertisements

Out west where I learned to do this, we had only soft woods, and that works too... just need a bit bigger hole and a bit more wood.

I have done beanhole beans by themselves and as an addition to a pit bbq of a whole goat. I also did a turkey this way once (when I was just learning) and forgot to shovel coals on TOP of the roaster. DON'T FORGET! We had a well done "bottom half" of a turkey and had to finish the top the next day in my mom's oven. The reason I did this was that we ran outa propane the night before Thanksgiving, couldn't get a delivery until the day after, and this was my solution to Thanksgiving dinner. Was the first time I "soloed" as my hubby worked in the hospital and didn't have the day off. That is one lesson I will NOT forget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
how to make bean hole beans.
first you start with a pot .i use an old castiron dutch oven iv seen others use diffrent typs of pot's but i like mine.
make sure it has a tight cover.then you dig a hole in the ground.explaine later what the hole is for.(save the dirt your going to use it.
ok bild a fire with hard wood you need alot of coals so dont be stingy with the wood.20 or 25 8 to 10 "sticks of wood is useualy enough.
once the wood has burnd downe to coals your raedy to start.
now in comes the hole . if your pot is 10" then your hole should be 18".
make the hole deep enough so find out how tall your pot is.
if you have a 9" pot then you will need a 20 to 22" deep.
now put 3 or 4" of coals in the hole and levle them out.now put your pot of beans in the middle of the hole directly on the coals.
now take a pc. of foile and put over the pot the fill the hole with coals.
leave about 3" from the top of the hole. take the dirt you saved and fill the hole to cover the coals now if you see steam you will need to put some more dirt on . this proses takes about 5 hours but well worth it . i use maple wood.
but you can use any hard wood. this is the basic's the best way to do it is to build your fire in the hole. but most people cant get wood to burn in a hole.
good luck and happy cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 05:37 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringselpup View Post
So how many dutch ovens/holes and how many beans for 61 people?
i figure around 10 but we are doing 12 just to be on the safe side.
i have 3 ovens and my siblings are going to bring theirs over.
as for the holes ,thank god for a back hoe thats alot of diging.
i think im going to do it up in the field becouse i dont want all them holes in my back yard.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:21 PM

182 posts, read 490,823 times
12 holes, 12 fires, 12 pots o beans,

I mean so many your gonna use a backhoe, that's gotta qualify you as some kind of serious.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:37 PM

444 posts, read 928,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
yup its that time of year to brake out the dutch oven dig a big hole and start a hot fire.this weekend is mothers day and at 75 mom gets what she wants.
so i went to ask her what she wanted .she said bean hole beans.
i said kinda early for that isnt it .nop she said. when i was a girl we started cooking them right after the frost went out.so so i did some figuring how maney beans it would take to feed mom ,all my brothers and sisters ,12 of us.29 grand children and 18 great grand children and 2 great great grand children.i come to a total of alot. alot of holes to dig and many pounds of beans.if this is what she wants this is what she gets . happy mothers day every one.
You are the sweetest man, Ranger.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:21 AM

175 posts, read 420,272 times
Thanks for the instructions, sounds like something I am gonna have to do. What kind of beans are you cooking? Any kind?

Old 05-09-2008, 08:35 AM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Hmmmm I remember my Dad used to make bean hole beans to the delight and amazement of my brother and sister and myself. He was the hole digger and fire tender, Mom seasoned the beans. In Maine is there a prefered type of bean?...in our house it was yellow eyed beans...or a red kidney bean....but I think that showed a Vermont influence! I havent had bean hole beans in many a year. Fun to think about them. Sometimes I see churches have a bean hole bean event as a fund raiser.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:52 AM

i like pinto beans but you can use any bean that you want or like.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:18 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,554 times
Cattle, yellow eye and soldier beans are popular up here. Maybe 'cause they withstand the long, overnight cooking times.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:42 PM

the hole's are all dug the fire wood is piled up and ready to be lit and the people that live next door are amased.(theyr from ny city)they said they had never heard of such a thing.they asked why would you go to this much trouble for a pot of beans.and i said if you have to ask you wouldnt understand.and just like that poof i have quoted my dad.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:11 PM

going to bed early tonight so i can get up at mid night to start the fires burning.
my older brouther and one of my younger sisters are comeing over to help tend the fire and set the pots in the ground . if we get them all in the ground by 3 am they should be done by noon.we got 60lb of fiddel heads,a 230lb pig and a half side of beef.
i will let you all know how it go's.happy mothers day hope you and yours have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: