Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:05 PM

607 posts, read 2,368,371 times

Advertisements

Hey Mainers, looking for some useful info on buying a canoe for the family camping trips. We would use it for recreational use, paddling around lakes, fishing and piling kids into it. Stability would be the primary concern. I see Bean has several models and I'm on the west coast (otherwise I would go to the store for info). Does anyone have any Bean canoes and what models would you recommend? Family of 5 and some dogs. Is there a model to work with five or what would be the best model for 3-4 at a time? Are the best (most durable the plastic models)? Thanks and greetings from across the country!

I know this may be sacriligious but are there other brands to consider? If so, what, where, models????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 06:39 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
LL Bean does not make canoes, they just resell canoes from Old Town.

Canoes and Kayaks - Old Town Canoes and Kayaks

Old Town makes a good canoe, I own one that is about 20 years old and has been through hell and back, but there are several other good canoe manufacturers as well.

Mad River
Wenonah
Bell
Lincoln

...just to name a few...

Old 01-30-2010, 06:59 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
The best model for general use as you describe is the Tripper. Most are 17 foot, but if you want stability for a crowd get the 20 foot Tripper. I have been canoeing for over 65 years.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:09 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
We have two of the 'Old Town' kayaks, they are great.

There is a store on Route 1 [I do not know it's name] where the store is next to a pond, the store's back porch is a deck on that pond. They have a huge assortment of canoes and kayaks and a customer can plop any of them in the pond to see exactly how stable they are in water.

FamilyFirst- I am not recommending that you come to Maine to visit this store. Rather is there any possibility that in your area there might be such a place where you could try out various models?

BTW I live near Old Town. They do manufacture their caneos in Old Town. No imports, just American made boats.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:38 AM

783 posts, read 1,574,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
There is a store on Route 1 [I do not know it's name] where the store is next to a pond, the store's back porch is a deck on that pond. They have a huge assortment of canoes and kayaks and a customer can plop any of them in the pond to see exactly how stable they are in water.
If the store you're remembering is in the Camden area, it's probably Maine Sport. They have a remarkable inventory of outdoor stuff (and sporty clothing), but be prepared to part with some money.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,322 times
Go to Uncle Henry's online. There's always a pile of "paddle boats" at good prices in there. I bought my fiberglass OT sponson for $300 there. And Trippers are a dime a dozen if you make the effort. I believe every one of my hunting/fishing buddies have at least one. 20' is a bit more cumbersome than the smaller models.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:21 PM

607 posts, read 2,368,371 times
Forest...I'm looking for an excuse to go see my family in Maine...maybe this is the ticket! Is Tripper sold by Bean or someone else? Is it a poly siding or something else?

Old 01-31-2010, 04:41 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
They recently built a huge new warehouse addition to the 'Old Town' caneo factory. In the landscaping that did build a drainage pond next to the road.I was hoping they would use if for demos and to give customers a chance to play with each model. The showroom parking lot abutts the new pond.But no, that was not in their plans.I could see going to the store in Camden to make your decision about models, and maybe buy some new life jackets. Then going to the factory to buy the canoe.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:06 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,322 times
Whoa! Hamilton Marine for life jackets. Best prices and they're just upriver from Camden.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:59 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Old Town Canoe usually has a spring sale around the end of April. Thsi is a pretty big deal, with up to 30% off, people come long distances. The sale is normally held over a weekend, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. If you give them a call they may be able to give you this years dates.
Canoes and Kayaks - Old Town Canoes and Kayaks
Old Town Canoe set for annual spring sale - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/104405.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine