Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:39 AM

653 posts, read 1,920,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Preferably a locking case, or some other secure container.

Also- remember your rights. In some instances, a LEO will ask if he can "just look [wherever]". This is a disingenuous attempt to trick you into waiving your Constitutional rights regarding search and siezure.

You are not required to, and should not, submit to this search no matter how "persuasive" he/she may be. A simple "No" response should suffice. If the individual persists (maybe using phrases like "Well, if you have nothing to hide..." in an attempt to make you feel as though you are doing something "wrong" by not permitting the search) then inform him/her that you do not wish to waive any of your constitutional rights.

I've spoken out about this sort of thing previously and in case anyone is getting the idea that I am anti-law enforcement, this is not the case. Some of my past employment history has involved a close association with civilian, military and federal agencies and, in general, I respect and support the proper enforcement of just laws.

That said, what I am against is what I see as a growing trend of abuses contrary to the the intent of the Declaration and Constitution.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

--- B. Franklin
i wish i have this in me.
this is one of many things that i admire American way of life.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:32 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
I have a couple guns and enjoy target shooting.

My fav is a black powder 50 cal rifle. It was a kit that my father-in-law built and then gave to me. Best balanced rifle I have ever used. I also have a 30-06. gonna try deer hunting this fall.

I have two .22 rifles that are just plain fun to shoot too. They are easy on the body and ears, and a box of 500 rounds isn't that expensive and can last all day.

I personnaly would not carry a handgun and have never been in a situation that I needed one. Best way to stay safe is to avoid situations that might require a weapon.
Good! You can come help me thin out the deer around here. They ruined my apple trees taking all of the buds off the lower branches up to 6 feet! Varmints!!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:23 PM

406 posts, read 1,655,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
i wish i have this in me.
this is one of many things that i admire American way of life.
I'm glad you're here Boon...you have a very gentle way about you. The world needs all kinds of people in it. You can gather strength from the people on the board. We all have something to offer each other.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:32 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Preferably a locking case, or some other secure container.

Also- remember your rights. In some instances, a LEO will ask if he can "just look [wherever]". This is a disingenuous attempt to trick you into waiving your Constitutional rights regarding search and siezure.

You are not required to, and should not, submit to this search no matter how "persuasive" he/she may be. A simple "No" response should suffice. If the individual persists (maybe using phrases like "Well, if you have nothing to hide..." in an attempt to make you feel as though you are doing something "wrong" by not permitting the search) then inform him/her that you do not wish to waive any of your constitutional rights.

I've spoken out about this sort of thing previously and in case anyone is getting the idea that I am anti-law enforcement, this is not the case. Some of my past employment history has involved a close association with civilian, military and federal agencies and, in general, I respect and support the proper enforcement of just laws.

That said, what I am against is what I see as a growing trend of abuses contrary to the the intent of the Declaration and Constitution.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

--- B. Franklin
You are entirely correct.

One of the many features of having been career military, is the mindset that you 'obey' anyone who presents himself as a public authority.

I do recognize that I am now susceptible to that kind of mindset. A disability of which I try to overcome.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:35 PM

513 posts, read 897,871 times
We don't have guns in our home because we lost a family member in a hunting accident almost 12 years ago. This was a very tragic and difficult experience and because of it we've decided not to have them in our home. We are not against guns but strongly feel that if someone wants to be a gun owner, they should have to be very well informed about guns and act responsibly. They should also be held accountable if they take someones life, even if it's accidental.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:27 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,094,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
We don't have guns in our home because we lost a family member in a hunting accident almost 12 years ago. This was a very tragic and difficult experience and because of it we've decided not to have them in our home. We are not against guns but strongly feel that if someone wants to be a gun owner, they should have to be very well informed about guns and act responsibly. They should also be held accountable if they take someones life, even if it's accidental.
"Accidents" are just that...negligence is another story. But that goes for *any* tool, piece of equipment, machinery...including automobiles.

If the same loss occured as a result of a car accident, would you decide not to own cars anymore?

Old 04-25-2008, 05:31 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,432,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
how can i bring gun from VA to ME legaly and save. the guy i bough gun from here in VA said gun law is vary from state to state, county to county and city to city. he did remind me to avoid DC area.
now that is a lot to look up gun law for all those cities, counties and states from here to Maine.
Here is information to travel with firearms in every state:
NRA-ILA :: Federal Gun Laws (http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59 - broken link)

Old 04-25-2008, 05:51 PM

653 posts, read 1,920,631 times
thanks 7th, it is a well inform article on travel with firearms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Here is information to travel with firearms in every state:
NRA-ILA :: Federal Gun Laws (http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59 - broken link)

Old 04-25-2008, 06:44 PM

513 posts, read 897,871 times
Quote:
"Accidents" are just that...negligence is another story. But that goes for *any* tool, piece of equipment, machinery...including automobiles.

If the same loss occured as a result of a car accident, would you decide not to own cars anymore?

Thank you for your response, the hunting accident was a result of negligence and called an accident because the death wasn't pre-meditated.

Automobiles: we are required by law to have auto insurance because we are responsible for our actions while behind the wheel of a motor vehicle whether it is the result of an accident or negligence.

The choice my family made to keep guns out of our home is just that, our right to choose. The choice we made was the result of a personal experience that goes deeper than just a simple what would you do in this case or that case. We only know what we decided to do in this situation, which I hope no one else has to ever go through. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I am not against guns or discourage guns, we just feel that gun owners should be responsible and if they make the choice to own a gun to also be accountable.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:34 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,207,855 times
Yes I Owne Several 270.w,357 Mag,300 Win,7mm Mag,cpl Shot Guns Few Hand Guns.dont Love Any Of Them But I Respect Them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine