Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:27 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,343,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post

Very few people who own guns have any real understanding of how to use them, let alone when to use them. If the situation ever arose...and it is a very big IF, that they actually had to use a weapon against another human being, the emotional and psychological scars that would be left behind would likely render that person unable to function.

As a people, we watch too many tough guy films.
Very true. Tough Guy films... very powerful.

I saw the movie "Preditor" ( big tough guy film)
with "Arnold" in it.
Well Jessie " the body ventura" was holding a weapon at the time that I thought would make me feel safe if I was reallllly scare in the situation they were in.

The Gatling gun.
I honestly no nothing about weapons but since I'm a gardener,
I was fond of it' landscaping features (cutting down trees) while trying to hit the "creature".

Tami~peachie

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 04-24-2008 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: noticed big spelling error...I'll blame it on waking up.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:30 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,096,966 times
Quote:

I own some firearms. I have a reasonable level of training for their use. I have carried them for personal protection, and it is in my opinion that 99% of the talk about firearms is just that: expulsion of hot air.
I'm not sure I'd go that high.

Quote:
Very few people who own guns have any real understanding of how to use them, let alone when to use them.
I don't think I completely agree with that statement, but it does fit some.

Quote:
If the situation ever arose...and it is a very big IF, that they actually had to use a weapon against another human being, the emotional and psychological scars that would be left behind would likely render that person unable to function.
I have talked to some people who had no prior experience with guns, and who, due to some frightening occurence, decided that they "needed" one. Further inquiry of many of these elicited the information that they never intended to actually *use* a gun, they just wanted to be able to wave it around to "scare" the "bad guy".

Such people I have tried to dissuade from obtaining a gun, on the grounds that if they are not prepared to use it, and accept the consequences and live with themselves afterward, then having one is likely to do more harm than good. The mere sight of a weapon will not necessarily frighten a criminal accustomed to violence, or one who is high on drugs or booze, especially if he senses a lack of commitment to use it (not unlikely)...and there are some [brain-damaged individuals] who, even when faced with unwavering commitment, will refuse to back down and will continue to provoke the situation until action is unavoidable.

The psychological aftermath depends a great deal on the person and the situation. When the world returns to its normal pace and the adrenaline rush wears off, some will deal with it better than others. An infuriated mother defending her children will likely deal with it better than the lone frightened, "mousy" individual who, perhaps unintentionally, kills an intruder.

Quote:
As a people, we watch too many tough guy films.
Hey, if it weren't for John Wayne, Lee Marvin, and Christopher George (to name a few) I (and likely others) might never have gone into the Army. Ah, to be young and "gung-ho", filled with visions of adventure and glory...except that the reality isn't really glorious at all...maybe you're right...this was going to be longer but I erased most of it, too "dark"...doesn't belong here, and now I need to get out in the sunshine.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:14 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,696,035 times
I don't think I would handle having shot someone very well. I have no military hardening and think my conscience would bother me for ever. That said I would do what I have to do to protect my family and myself. I'd rather have to deal with the psychological consequenses for protecting myself than not be around to worry about it.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:37 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,564,587 times
Quote:
I own some firearms. I have a reasonable level of training for their use. I have carried them for personal protection, and it is in my opinion that 99% of the talk about firearms is just that: expulsion of hot air.
Interesting. Why do you think that?

Quote:
Very few people who own guns have any real understanding of how to use them, let alone when to use them. If the situation ever arose...and it is a very big IF, that they actually had to use a weapon against another human being, the emotional and psychological scars that would be left behind would likely render that person unable to function.
The man who shot my husband is one of those people who didn't really understand when to use a gun. It wasn't intentional though he purposely fired the gun, and it has been a long time but I hope he does still have thoughts of that day and what he did. I doubt it since he shot a child, knew he'd shot someone, and left him in the woods. If you can do that and never come forward I doubt you think about it much.

If it came to the point of pulling the trigger I wouldn't feel badly. When it's me or him, it's going to be him if it at possible. Would I feel badly? Only if I missed. I think it's hard to value the life of a person who was willing to put me in that much danger.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:23 PM
CWG

82 posts, read 260,922 times
Does anyone carry a firearm on their boat or ship? Do you recomend something stainless?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:43 PM

169 posts, read 551,152 times
read an interesting headline today about a couple of the large supermarket chains in this country limiting the amount of rice customers can buy. if that means that americans are starting to hoard rice, everyone who can afford a gun will be getting one..........

Old 04-24-2008, 07:50 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWG View Post
Does anyone carry a firearm on their boat or ship? Do you recomend something stainless?
I have seen firearms carried at sea. I have only heard of stainless steel being recommended if you are carrying a firearm next to your skin [an ankle holster, a bra holster, an inside of your pants wasteband holster].

If a firearm is going to contact salt water, stainless steel is not going to help. Clean it immediately and oil it. Throw away the bullets and replace them.

When I carried a firearm daily, if I was exposed to rain, then I had to clean and oil my firearm that day.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:11 PM

653 posts, read 1,921,053 times
Quote:
When I carried a firearm daily, if I was exposed to rain, then I had to clean and oil my firearm that day.
thanks forest, now i have to open the gun cleaning kit box and clean my gun, went out shooting at aluminum cans a week ago, it did rain a little.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have seen firearms carried at sea. I have only heard of stainless steel being recommended if you are carrying a firearm next to your skin [an ankle holster, a bra holster, an inside of your pants wasteband holster].

If a firearm is going to contact salt water, stainless steel is not going to help. Clean it immediately and oil it. Throw away the bullets and replace them.

A bra holster...I'd like to see one of those!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
thanks forest, now i have to open the gun cleaning kit box and clean my gun, went out shooting at aluminum cans a week ago, it did rain a little.
You should clean it after every time you shoot it. Gunpowder residue is very corrosive and will promote rust in the barrel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine