Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 09:00 AM

565 posts, read 934,670 times

Advertisements

Our new house is built on a pier and beam foundation with a small crawlspace below, during the home inspection the inspector mentioned the P trap could easily freeze up during the coldest pqrt of winter. My questions are isn't there a better way to build this? Seems like a horrible oversight putting those traps in unheated crawlspace.

Yet on the other hand ive always only heard of peoples water lines freezing, never sewer unless its backed up?

Cqn i just apply electic pipe heat a wrap around the p trap? Whats the best way to fix this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 10:31 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
Our new house is built on a pier and beam foundation with a small crawlspace below, during the home inspection the inspector mentioned the P trap could easily freeze up during the coldest pqrt of winter. My questions are isn't there a better way to build this? Seems like a horrible oversight putting those traps in unheated crawlspace.

Yet on the other hand ive always only heard of peoples water lines freezing, never sewer unless its backed up?

Cqn i just apply electic pipe heat a wrap around the p trap? Whats the best way to fix this?
On really cold nights you could pour a little RV anti-freeze in the drain to keep it from freezing.
I would box it up and insulate the heck out of it using foam board while trying to cover the top to keep critters out.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:43 AM

565 posts, read 934,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
On really cold nights you could pour a little RV anti-freeze in the drain to keep it from freezing.
I would box it up and insulate the heck out of it using foam board while trying to cover the top to keep critters out.
I considered that or even just isopropyl alcohol. Alcohol seems more ideal for the septic. However the electric heat tape seems best as it would be more guaranteed especially if we are gone for the night. As long as the power stays on anywho.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:58 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
Yeah the problem I found with heat tape is not checking it regularly and it stops working at the most inconvenient time.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:19 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Yeah the problem I found with heat tape is not checking it regularly and it stops working at the most inconvenient time.
ITS AMAZING that you run out of staples just when you are in the middle of stapling something.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:57 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
... Can i just apply electic pipe heat a wrap around the p trap? Whats the best way to fix this?
Within five years the heat tape will fail.

When heat tape fails, it does not give you any warning. Mid-February when it is -20F, you do not want to be in your crawl space trying to figure this out.

You might be better off to insulate your crawlspace and provide it with enough heat to keep it above freezing.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
, you do not want to be in your crawl space trying to figure this out.
Like you don’t want to need to have your septic pump changed in the middle of winter when the the tank lid is covered by 4 inches of Ice. I’m going to cover the tank this year with a platform with a cone covered by plastic. It's been 5 years since it was replaced. It should be good for at least another 6 or 7 years, but who knows.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:24 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
We have a friend who lives in a single-wide trailer. Every winter their water freezes, and every winter they jump through hoops to get their water flowing again. Always during the coldest storms.

During the first couple of times, I felt a lot of sympathy for their plight. But after ten+ years of this, my sympathy is running low.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:41 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We have a friend who lives in a single-wide trailer. Every winter their water freezes, and every winter they jump through hoops to get their water flowing again. Always during the coldest storms.

During the first couple of times, I felt a lot of sympathy for their plight. But after ten+ years of this, my sympathy is running low.
I know what you mean. There are ways to prevent this from happening.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I know what you mean. There are ways to prevent this from happening.
If they can’t do it themselves, then any plumber will help them make it foolproof, or at least cold weather proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine