Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 11:38 AM

4 posts, read 3,710 times

Advertisements

i have a 140 year old house and we are getting a sewer oder near the cast iron P-trap where is exits the house. I have looked at the pipe and i dont see any weeping or cracks. Can the smell be permeating the pipe itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 11:41 AM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
i bet it is leaking somehow . no odors can permeate the pipe or water if it is in the pipe .

Old 12-27-2015, 11:46 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,099,642 times
Is there a thru wall vent just above that trap?

Old 12-27-2015, 11:47 AM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
if the vent is blocked you get cavitating and the p-trap will get sucked dry , good point .

Old 12-27-2015, 12:26 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnintranets View Post
i have a 140 year old house and we are getting a sewer oder near the cast iron P-trap where is exits the house. I have looked at the pipe and i dont see any weeping or cracks. Can the smell be permeating the pipe itself?
There can be a buildup of bacteria on the inside walls of the drainpipe before it connects to the P trap. This buildup will smell similar to sewer odor. Pour about a quarter of a cup of hydrogen peroxide slowly into the drain to cover the inside walls and leave,,,, don’t turn on the water for several hours to allow enough time for the peroxide to do it’s trick. Repeat again if necessary.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Is there a thru wall vent just above that trap?
The closest vent is about 6 feet away. when i opened the cap on the trap there is plenty of water in it.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
There can be a buildup of bacteria on the inside walls of the drainpipe before it connects to the P trap. This buildup will smell similar to sewer odor. Pour about a quarter of a cup of hydrogen peroxide slowly into the drain to cover the inside walls and leave,,,, don’t turn on the water for several hours to allow enough time for the peroxide to do it’s trick. Repeat again if necessary.
The problem is on my 4 inch pipe in the bacement just before it leaves the house not a sink drain. I would think i would need a lot of peroxide to get down there. What about a product like bio-clean or something similar.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:58 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,150,618 times
Can you see ALL around all of the piping before it leaves the house or is some of it lying on the ground? Have you examined the leaded joints where the piping is sleeved together?

Old 12-27-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnintranets View Post
The problem is on my 4 inch pipe in the bacement just before it leaves the house not a sink drain. I would think i would need a lot of peroxide to get down there. What about a product like bio-clean or something similar.
Wow,,,, well you could pour than a quarter of a cup then. The purpose is to cover the sides of the pipe (even if it’s a larger 4” drain) with something that can kill the bacteria, you’re not looking to fill up the pipe. Hydrogen peroxide is fairly inexpensive for a quart sized bottle. It’s less of a cost than most other products to kill off bacteria odor.

Are there any “other” sources for the odor??? Maybe a mouse or rat that got inside the basement anywhere and died? Or maybe a sewer rat that came up the pipe towards the house and got stuck in the P trap?

Old 12-28-2015, 08:44 AM

I’ve seen places where this sewer odor smell strong and none of the building engineers or maintenance people could find the source. It ended up being a floor drain p-trap. The water evaporated and the gas was coming up into the room. The drain was located in a back corner of the large storage room under a stack of shelving. Once they poured water into the trap it stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House