Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 08:31 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestvibe View Post
I'm curious, was that something that was available/visible on the county land records when you bought the land?
I have never seen the 'County land records' for my township.

I walked the property lines myself, and I saw where the river high watermark is located for myself.

I visited the regional LURC office, they pulled up their GIS maps and we discussed the floodplain. I have a topo map and the river high water mark seemed to agree between all three.

To exceed the river high watermark is a 20-year flood event.

I located our house above the river high watermark.

The year after we moved into our new house the river experienced a century flood event. In the township where I am located, the entire township is within the century flood plain.

Quote:
... Does flooding in Maine basically occur in spring as snow begins to melt or are there seasons of heavy downpours?
Usually it is with the spring run-off, when the snow/ice melt too quickly.

However tonight, there are thunderstorms. I got an email from the weather service warning that Southern Pistaciqus County and Northern - Central Penobscot County may see flooding along low lying creeks tonight due to these thunderstorms.

So it could happen at any time.

Quote:
... Thank you! Really very kind of you. I could reach out when I'm in Maine. My house just entered escrow so my trip out there got pushed back a bit until the end of Sept.
The third week of September is a great time to visit Maine. The Town of Unity hosts the Common Ground Fair.
Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association > The Fair
It is a country fair like no other.

Quote:
I'm curious to hear yours and any one else's take on the tick/lyme situation those of us from other areas always hear about being a problem in the North East. Does anyone here have any personal experience with it? Is it as much of an issue as it's made out to be?
When I was stationed in Connecticut I have had friends who got lyme disease from ticks.

I have read on online many times about Mainers getting lyme disease, and that whole time prior to 2019 I never saw any ticks on my person, a few on our dogs but none on me.

This year, 2019, I have pulled nine ticks off of myself [the big dog ticks, not the tiny deer ticks].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 08:54 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I got my first tick bite about 10 days ago. It was just above my sock on my left cal. My folding knife is razor sharp so I slid it in under the tick nd lifted him off along with a small chunk of skin. I watched it a few ties a day and had no rash. I live northeast of Bangor and have never seen a tick up here. They will get here eventually.
A rash is a symptom but not a requirement for Lyme. You should be tested. For future reference, you can send a tick to the lab at UMaine and have it tested. Ticks have been northeast of Bangor for years. I usually pick up a few while hunting in November. They've been bad enough that I stopped sitting on the ground.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 3,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

The year after we moved into our new house the river experienced a century flood event. In the township where I am located, the entire township is within the century flood plain.

Usually it is with the spring run-off, when the snow/ice melt too quickly.

When I was stationed in Connecticut I have had friends who got lyme disease from ticks.

I have read on online many times about Mainers getting lyme disease, and that whole time prior to 2019 I never saw any ticks on my person, a few on our dogs but none on me.

This year, 2019, I have pulled nine ticks off of myself [the big dog ticks, not the tiny deer ticks].

Have you experienced more than just the one "100 year flood" since you've been out there? Seems like these types events are happening more frequently in most places where they occur.

All this talk of weather has got me wondering if people in Maine are noticing changes in weather patterns, temperature, storms, floods, even increase in winter storms, etc. over the years. Have any of you noticed any changes at all in your areas since you've lived there that could be related to global temperatures rising?

Obviously the tick issue seems to be spreading further north, which I assume is due to the northern regions becoming more habitable for them. Does anyone in the northern half of Maine have any further insight into this? For example how far north until you start noticing their presence disappear, and how many years it took for them to make their way up to that point from wherever they're thought to have originated from..

Thank you, everyone.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:05 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,916,728 times
Quote:
Have you experienced more than just the one "100 year flood" since you've been out there? Seems like these types events are happening more frequently in most places where they occur.

All this talk of weather has got me wondering if people in Maine are noticing changes in weather patterns, temperature, storms, floods, even increase in winter storms, etc. over the years. Have any of you noticed any changes at all in your areas since you've lived there that could be related to global temperatures rising?

Obviously the tick issue seems to be spreading further north, which I assume is due to the northern regions becoming more habitable for them. Does anyone in the northern half of Maine have any further insight into this? For example how far north until you start noticing their presence disappear, and how many years it took for them to make their way up to that point from wherever they're thought to have originated from..

Thank you, everyone.
Right now, the experts are saying that they are heavy right up to the the Bangor/OldTown line. Then a quick drop off. I don't think any have been found north of Millinocket.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:11 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Have you experienced more than just the one "100 year flood" since you've been out there?
No, it has only happened once.

Quote:
... Have any of you noticed any changes at all in your areas since you've lived there that could be related to global temperatures rising?
Every year is different.

The first two years we lived in Maine, there was never any snow on the weekends. We saw lot of people selling their snow mobiles. I talked to a few of them, and we had gone multiple winters without being able to use their sleds. Sleds are not cheap, so to tie up $5000 in a toy that you can not use, was making those people anxious. We would get snow mid-week, every time, and by the weekend the snow was all gone.

From one year to the next the first snow arrives on different weeks. So if you try to go by what it was like a year ago, you will be off.

Most years it seems like there is an early snow storm then it melts away. We use that as a wake-up call to finally cleanup the yard and get ready for winter. Two years ago, that early snow storm gave us a blanket of snow, but then it stayed cold and that snow never left. I had my solar panels up at their summer angle and they got covered in snow/ice. When we went out to adjust the angle of the panels [which would normally allow the snow to slide off by itself] this time the panels were seriously heavy, I injured my back, and we did not get that snow off them until February.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:46 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,138,938 times
I have not noticed any signs of "rising global temperatures”(which have been rising since the last ice age, BTW). The first year we were here is was fairly warm in the winter. Then the next 4 years it was very cold in the winter with temps dropping as low as -18. Then in 17-18, the temps never got below 15 all winter, followed by a hot summer. But then last year the winter was back to normal, and the lakes froze up in early January and stayed frozen until late March, with temps in the below zero often. This summer has been rather cool. We didn't need the fan running even once. And now its already cool for late August.

Actually even the warmists are admitting that the rising temps are in a “pause”, and are busy making up excuses for it.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:55 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,138,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I got my first tick bite about 10 days ago. It was just above my sock on my left cal. My folding knife is razor sharp so I slid it in under the tick nd lifted him off along with a small chunk of skin. I watched it a few ties a day and had no rash. I live northeast of Bangor and have never seen a tick up here. They will get here eventually.
If it was a deer tick, and if you got bitten, the only 40% of people get a rash. I surely hope that you don’t get Lyme or one of the other bacterias or both. 40% of people are not cured by doxycycline. If you were bitten, see the doctor right away and start on prophylactic Doxy. Ask for a full 28 day course, not just 21 days.

If that is the case then you will need to go on an herbal regimen to go into remission. If you start having unexplained illnesses contact me and I’ll tell you what to do. I have chronic Lyme but am in remission. But I still have to take the herb concoction every day to keep the Lyme under control.

This is not something to fool around with, and if the doxy doesn’t work: a) your doctor is not allowed to keep treating it, and b) you doctor really does not know what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine