Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 12:57 AM

5 posts, read 3,265 times

Advertisements

Hello all, brand new here. Just been reading up on some of the Maine posts.

I'm strongly considering moving to Maine. I'm headed there in a week to check things out, I haven't been back since I was a kid.

I have a few questions about your state. I appreciate in advance any help any of you are able to give. My questions are basically about location, weather, and land ownership.

-Firstly wondering which area you all prefer over Portland, Augusta, and Bangor and why you prefer that area?

-I really enjoy a cooler climate and seem to tolerate colder weather well, but I don't think I've ever lived in a place that gets as much snowfall as Maine. I'm wondering if it can be troublesome leaving vehicles outside in winter? Is it possible to plow one's own gravel/dirt driveway with a simple plow hooked up to a truck, or do you all tend to hire people for this during winter? Is a garage a must-have in Maine?

-Are there any areas in the state that you would not recommend living due to either crime, extreme weather, or environmental toxicity?

-Are certain regions of the state prone to flooding? I've heard it can get quite humid in the summer and that there are lots of mosquitoes. I wouldn't have expected mosquitoes in Maine. Are they that bad?

-Someone once told me that if you have over X amount of acres in Maine you can legally hunt animals that are found on your land. Is this true?

-Does anyone here have experience with owning large acreage in Maine? Do you have any advice in regards to that?

I'm looking for good, strong community, clean environment, and lots of nature. Hoping to find it there.

Thank you again, much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 06:33 AM

596 posts, read 818,636 times
There's a joke that mosquitoes are the state bird. Yes, they are really quite bad. But it does get cool at night so at least if you want to be outside then it's easier to wear clothing that protects you a bit.

If you want a lot of land, you're not going to find that very close to Portland.

My in-laws leave their cars outside in the winter most of the time.

Crime is low here in general.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:22 AM

22,919 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestvibe View Post
-Firstly wondering which area you all prefer over Portland, Augusta, and Bangor and why you prefer that area?
I'm not a huge fan of any of them, simply because I am not a city person. I prefer smaller towns. But those three each have their benefits and drawbacks.

Portland is on the ocean. It is Maine's largest city and has Maine's highest crime rate --- although it is nothing like what you'll find in high-crime areas of Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, etc. Lots of good restaurants. Decent public transportation.

Augusta is on the river. It has some lovely little neighborhoods, but it also has some 'hoods. Some of the surrounding bedroom communities are nice.

Bangor doesn't have as many people as Portland, but to me it feels bigger simply because it is more spread out. Lots of college kids in town. Bangor actually tends to get better concerts than Portland.

Quote:
-I really enjoy a cooler climate and seem to tolerate colder weather well, but I don't think I've ever lived in a place that gets as much snowfall as Maine. I'm wondering if it can be troublesome leaving vehicles outside in winter? Is it possible to plow one's own gravel/dirt driveway with a simple plow hooked up to a truck, or do you all tend to hire people for this during winter? Is a garage a must-have in Maine?
A garage is nice to have, but it isn't a necessity. It just saves you from having to clear the snow off your car before you start up. Most cities and towns clear their streets really well. As far as clearing your own driveway ... you can hire someone to do it. You can do it yourself with a truck plow. You can snowblow it. Or if it isn't too big, you can even go out with a shovel. I know people who do all of the above. It really depends on your driveway and finances.

Quote:
-Are there any areas in the state that you would not recommend living due to either crime, extreme weather, or environmental toxicity?
Biddeford and Saco don't have a good reputation, but I have no firsthand experience. Myself, I wouldn't want to live anywhere south of Portland. Too crowded. Maine doesn't really feel like Maine to me till you get north or Portland.

Quote:
-Are certain regions of the state prone to flooding?
Occasionally. But it isn't a chronic problem.

Quote:
I've heard it can get quite humid in the summer and that there are lots of mosquitoes. I wouldn't have expected mosquitoes in Maine. Are they that bad?
They are bad, but not all summer. It's pretty miserable through late May, all of June, and at least half of July. After that ... they're around but not quite as bad. But it depends on where you are too. Up in the hills near lakes, mosquitoes are a lot worse than you'll get near the coast.

Quote:
-Someone once told me that if you have over X amount of acres in Maine you can legally hunt animals that are found on your land. Is this true?
I don't know, but it sounds plausible to me.

Quote:
I'm looking for good, strong community, clean environment, and lots of nature. Hoping to find it there.
Check out Brunswick, Bath, Freeport, Wiscasset, Boothbay, Damariscotta.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:51 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
I live 15 miles as the crow flies from the state capitol in augusta …...but it seems like a different world...that's the charm of maine ….most anywhere in the state if you drive 5 minutes...you are ….out in the country..

I live on a lake....have a beautiful field across the street see many deer and other critters...

as driving is concerned in winter......our road crews do an excellent job plowing....the roads..
common sense is the key just slow down you will be all set

ive gone the last few winters with just all season radials.....not technically snow/winter ties and ive been fine.....and I drive over 1000 miles per week on average ..

Old 07-18-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
ive gone the last few winters with just all season radials.....not technically snow/winter ties and ive been fine.....and I drive over 1000 miles per week on average ..
We've been in Maine almost 12 years and have never purchased snow tires. Only three times in those twelve years have the roads been bad enough that I'd wished I'd bought them.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:21 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Yes, you need a garage.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:21 AM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Hello all, brand new here.
Welcome

Quote:
... -Firstly wondering which area you all prefer over Portland, Augusta, and Bangor and why you prefer that area?
Our goal for retirement was to live somewhere rural that is drought-free.

We live 20 minutes North of Bangor, which is still in the Southern half of Maine.

Bangor has nearly all of the urban services that we need, and it is close by for us.

Quote:
... I'm wondering if it can be troublesome leaving vehicles outside in winter? Is it possible to plow one's own gravel/dirt driveway with a simple plow hooked up to a truck, or do you all tend to hire people for this during winter? Is a garage a must-have in Maine?
Most rural Mainers do just that.

We bought a tractor with a front-mounted PTO-powered snow-blower that was the best purchase we have ever made.

Quote:
... -Are there any areas in the state that you would not recommend living due to either crime, extreme weather, or environmental toxicity?
I do not like urban.

Quote:
-Are certain regions of the state prone to flooding? I've heard it can get quite humid in the summer and that there are lots of mosquitoes. I wouldn't have expected mosquitoes in Maine. Are they that bad?
There are low-lying towns along each of the rivers, those flood every year.

Quote:
... -Someone once told me that if you have over X amount of acres in Maine you can legally hunt animals that are found on your land. Is this true?
Yes, I hunt on my land.

Quote:
-Does anyone here have experience with owning large acreage in Maine? Do you have any advice in regards to that?
I have 150-acres of land with a quarter-mile of river frontage.

When you come to Maine, before you buy anything. You are welcome to come visit our farm and have supper with us. We can tell you of all our experiences.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:12 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Welcome

When you come to Maine, before you buy anything. You are welcome to come visit our farm and have supper with us. We can tell you of all our experiences.
I'd take you up on this generous offer lol! We're there Aug 21-29.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:40 AM

164 posts, read 189,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Portland is on the ocean. It is Maine's largest city and has Maine's highest crime rate
Not exactly.

https://wjbq.com/the-10-maine-cities...t-crime-rates/

As a matter of fact, for 2017 Houlton, Presque Isle, Biddeford, Augusta, OOB all worse than Portland.

https://www.safewise.com/blog/safest-cities-maine/

Just sayin'

Old 07-19-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance Mack View Post
Not exactly.

https://wjbq.com/the-10-maine-cities...t-crime-rates/

As a matter of fact, for 2017 Houlton, Presque Isle, Biddeford, Augusta, OOB all worse than Portland.

https://www.safewise.com/blog/safest-cities-maine/

Just sayin'
Those communities all have SUBSTANTIALLY smaller populations than Portland. # of crimes vs. # of people? Yes, other towns might have a higher crime rate because there are fewer people there. But Portland has more crime than any other place in Maine. But it is also Maine's most populous city.

Presque Isle and Houlton are TINY compared to Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine