Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 02:45 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Ahh, the rep "problem" Is that a shot? LOL
THAT is a bullseye! <where's the smirk smiley?>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 04:56 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
"The Code" is a recommendation and a good reference. It was developed by a club. It is not law by itself. That said, some towns are enthusiastic regulators that compete with Augusta for regulations. In some Maine towns you can build a solar powered straw bale house that has stucco, inside and out. No code anywhere describes such an energy efficient and quiet home.

Do your homework. If you want an energy efficient home with character incorporating your own design you can do it in Maine. You just need to ask around and avoid towns that don't want you there.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:03 PM

37,475 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"The Code" is a recommendation and a good reference. It was developed by a club. It is not law by itself. That said, some towns are enthusiastic regulators that compete with Augusta for regulations. In some Maine towns you can build a solar powered straw bale house that has stucco, inside and out. No code anywhere describes such an energy efficient and quiet home.

Do your homework. If you want an energy efficient home with character incorporating your own design you can do it in Maine. You just need to ask around and avoid towns that don't want you there.
Sweet !

Old 10-10-2011, 05:07 PM

75 posts, read 196,981 times
I live in a Yurt, and can pretty well put it anywhere, including on the waters edge or in wetland. No town can regulate it, nor tax it as a structure. Why? It is considered a temporary structure.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:33 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post
I live in a Yurt, and can pretty well put it anywhere, including on the waters edge or in wetland. No town can regulate it, nor tax it as a structure. Why? It is considered a temporary structure.
Better not have that yurt on the waters edge for more than 6 months and 1 day...

Old 10-10-2011, 05:50 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,568,427 times
I have both! I live in a house on the lake with my cabin next door! They both have electricity, bathroom, telephone and cable. We turn the cable off during winter months at the camp.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:58 PM

75 posts, read 196,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Better not have that yurt on the waters edge for more than 6 months and 1 day...
Why? It is considered a tent. The town tried to tax me, but Maine revenue said it was a no no. It does suck that I can't have insurance though.

I asked DEP if tents are subject to wetland zoning and they laughed. 6mo and a day, 10 years and a day. Yurts are the way to go. If someone does whine, I move it a foot and smile.

In any case, I'm not on a lake, but could build that close if I chose to unlike a traditional house/camp that needs to abide by the setbacks.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:02 PM

21 posts, read 47,532 times
Are camps taxed the same as houses?

Old 10-22-2011, 06:13 PM

37,475 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxbr View Post
Are camps taxed the same as houses?
No.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:00 PM

53 posts, read 176,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post
Why? It is considered a tent. The town tried to tax me, but Maine revenue said it was a no no. It does suck that I can't have insurance though.

I asked DEP if tents are subject to wetland zoning and they laughed. 6mo and a day, 10 years and a day. Yurts are the way to go. If someone does whine, I move it a foot and smile.

In any case, I'm not on a lake, but could build that close if I chose to unlike a traditional house/camp that needs to abide by the setbacks.
I love yurts, you should check out the Tiny House blog...all about people living in Tiny Structures, and they love yurts. You should contact Kent there about an article on you and your yurt. Would love to see some photos of it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine