Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 06:59 AM

78 posts, read 161,419 times

Advertisements

OK the way it was explained to me and this comes from our towns tax assesors. You have a camp if it does not have indoor plumbing of any kind and your restroom facilities are of the chemical disposal type. Also you can have elctricity in a camp as well as dish tv and a phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 08:29 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
OK, I thought I was doing so well with research on my own, and then this keeps popping up! In real estate ads, one building will be referred to as a "camp", while another will be a "house". The size doesn't seem to be the determining factor, nor does the acreage size or type (lake-front or just woods). There are "camps" that have electric and phone, with 2 bedrooms. There are "houses" with just 1 bedroom. To make matters even more confusing, some Mainers have both a "house" and a "camp".

What is the difference???
CAMP IS WHERE YOU GO TO GET AWAY FROM THINGS .OR HUNTING ,FISHING,OUR CAMP IS IN AMITY AND I LOVE GOING THERE WE FORGET ABOUT EVREY THING AND JUST RELAX WHILE WE ARE THERE.ITS LIKE A LITTLE VACATION ONCE OR TWICE A MONTH.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:30 AM

399 posts, read 854,988 times
I built what I thought was a house on a lake in Maine but everyone there calls it a camp. It's year round but now they have me calling my house a camp too. It doesn't matter, it's home to me. My question is why do the people on a lake put their front doors in the back of the house facing a lake? I couldn't fathom that and built it with the front door facing the street and the back door facing the lake. It seems right to me but probably not so "correct" to everyone else. Oh well, I like it.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:02 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
I built what I thought was a house on a lake in Maine but everyone there calls it a camp. It's year round but now they have me calling my house a camp too. It doesn't matter, it's home to me. My question is why do the people on a lake put their front doors in the back of the house facing a lake? I couldn't fathom that and built it with the front door facing the street and the back door facing the lake. It seems right to me but probably not so "correct" to everyone else. Oh well, I like it.
'front door' / 'back door' who cares?

Said the man with only one door.

I am not sure it makes any difference. I commonly see homes where the 'front door' has bushes grown over on it's path and clearly nobody uses it. A few times I have knocked on front doors and people exit their back door saying 'hello'. I think that in Maine people have a front door but then soon forget it exists.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:33 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
Because the front is the lake side. This is a conversation we have at camp often. It's men vs women at my camp. We women say the lake side is the front. The men say that's the back. We disagree with them each time and then we let them think they're right.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:40 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
If you have a house or a camp on a lake then the front door faces the lake

Ive had a house on the lake for 20 yrs, and settled this question early on...

however, you can call any door by any name you want...it's your door(s)

Old 10-09-2011, 04:59 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,397 times
OK, so my place was used as a camp before I bought it and now I live year round in it.....but I still call it a camp.......

Old 10-09-2011, 05:37 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
"Camp: a place usually away from urban areas where tents or simple buildings (as cabins) are erected for shelter or for temporary residence."

My sister and BIL used to have a camp on the lake. Over the years they have had a frost wall put in, insulated, put in propane heat, thermal pane windows throughout, new bathroom (better than their home's) and crown moulding in the bedrooms.

Soooo, when does a camp turn into a second home?

Old 10-09-2011, 06:20 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Soooo, when does a camp turn into a second home?
About two minutes after the tax assessor shows up.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:15 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
About two minutes after the tax assessor shows up.
Ahh, the rep "problem" Is that a shot? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine