Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:53 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,108,500 times

Advertisements

We have an anniversary coming up in early May. Since we almost never take traditional vacations, we like to use this occasion each year to spend 1-2 nights somewhere nice. Great time of year for off-season rates Normally we find a nice hotel or inn. Last year we tried a farmhouse B&B for the first time.

This year I'm totally out of ideas for where to stay I've always wanted to find an affordable cabin or cottage with a fireplace and kitchenette in a pretty Maine mountain or lake setting, but haven't found it yet....

If you have a favorite mini-vacation getaway, please share & thanks!

P.S. I should add that we're located in midcoast Maine; a different location would a nice change but we're open to all suggestions

Last edited by Boomerang; 04-06-2008 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 07:08 PM

973 posts, read 2,380,946 times
In a normal year I'd vote for Umcolcus Sporting Camps in Oxbow, ME. I say normal year, because even though it's a four season business, the first of May will be iffy for driving in there this year. It's about 10 miles in a woods road. It is the kind of place it sounds like you are looking for. The price list I have is for 2005-06, but I bet the prices aren't much different. Housekeeping is $35/person, modified American plan $65/person, Full American Plan $80/person. Cabins are very nice and cooking definitely worth the price if you go with those plans. There is a giant fireplace in the main lodge (where meals are served and you can sit by that and chat with the owners) With all that said, I'd be surprised if the road is dried up enough for travel by the first of May this year. Their phone number is 207-435-8227

Old 04-06-2008, 07:12 PM

973 posts, read 2,380,946 times
should have looked first, but Umcolcus Sporting Camps have a website at
Umcolcus Sporting Camps: Maine Sporting Camps

Old 04-06-2008, 07:19 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,664,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
In a normal year I'd vote for Umcolcus Sporting Camps in Oxbow, ME. I say normal year, because even though it's a four season business, the first of May will be iffy for driving in there this year. It's about 10 miles in a woods road. It is the kind of place it sounds like you are looking for. The price list I have is for 2005-06, but I bet the prices aren't much different. Housekeeping is $35/person, modified American plan $65/person, Full American Plan $80/person. Cabins are very nice and cooking definitely worth the price if you go with those plans. There is a giant fireplace in the main lodge (where meals are served and you can sit by that and chat with the owners) With all that said, I'd be surprised if the road is dried up enough for travel by the first of May this year. Their phone number is 207-435-8227
The ice might not even be out by then!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:59 AM

Thanks, Kelly, for this suggestion!

Good to know about this place, even though I agree with both you and Maineah that snow and ice is still likely to be a factor this May

I love this photo from their website and their statement "Maine - the way life used to be" I can do my own housekeeping (even in a fancy-schmancy hotel I prefer to make my bed, clean up my own messes, and re-use the towels - makes me feel at home ) but having someone else do the cooking is great!

http://www.umcolcus.com/homepage.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-07-2008, 07:28 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,420,131 times
My vote would be for the most remote cabin in the middle of the woods/mountains that you can find. No internet, no phone, no TV - the one you have to take snowmobiles or dog sled to get to because there is no road for vehicles.

There is a place like that there. I've seen the travel info, but I can't remember the name or location. And it was very reasonably priced. It's one that offers dog sledding. Sorry I can't remember the name.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:51 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
Nahmakanta is the lake. It is run by Don and Angel Hibbs. I taught Don Hibbs to run a sled dog team. His first ever run behind a dog team was with me. They are a great family and their hospitality can't be beat.

Maine Wilderness Camps Maine Camps Maine Wilderness Vacations Maine Wilderness Lodges Maine Wilderness Cabins Nahmakanta Lake Camps, Millinocket, Maine

Old 04-07-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Nahmakanta is the lake. It is run by Don and Angel Hibbs. I taught Don Hibbs to run a sled dog team. His first ever run behind a dog team was with me. They are a great family and their hospitality can't be beat.
Thanks much, NMLM - another beautiful spot to consider. I enjoyed their website!

El, what you describe sounds like my first home in Maine. No phone, no TV, and no internet (personal computers didn't exist then). No running water either, unless you count running with buckets from the well to the house. No indoor plumbing. Wood stove for heat and for heating hot water in kettles. Eventually decadence prevailed and we got a drilled well, plumbing, one of those fancy wood-fired water heaters, and a small freestanding furnace.

So now I'm reading through the websites here and on Maine Office of Tourism - Where to Stay and finding primitive cottages in some places going for up to $180 a night. Geez Louise. I had no idea we were living so swanky back then

Old 04-07-2008, 12:18 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
OK, Boomerang; Here you go:

This place is secluded and has every amenity you could imagine including a Jacuzzi in the master suite. So now you have it; a remote log camp you have to snowshoe to and the ultimate luxury log home on a lake. Drive right to it.

CabinInMaine

Old 04-07-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
OK, Boomerang; Here you go:
This place is secluded and has every amenity you could imagine including a Jacuzzi in the master suite. So now you have it; a remote log camp you have to snowshoe to and the ultimate luxury log home on a lake. Drive right to it.
Wow. That's luxurious all right! Lots of amenities I didn't even imagine,like the 6-quart ice cream freezer. Now I know how the other half lives. And in a gorgeous location, no less ---
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine