Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 10:26 AM

46 posts, read 112,032 times

Advertisements

hi,
I am looking to rent and maybe eventually purchase a small cottage in Maine.

Can anyone tell me where to look that is not too expensive, on the lake or
river, and close to an active town?

I have done a bit of research online and have read about Wells, Onquicut (?)
and other well-known resort towns.

It will be primarily a summer home.

thanx so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 10:40 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Each region is so different, I suggest that you come to Maine. Tour each region and see for yourself which area you like the best.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:44 AM

46 posts, read 112,032 times
I have been to Maine.

I spent time in Portland, and the resort areas on the east coast.
Just was looking for a more detailed idea of the area.

I would like to be near a town or village and close to an airport
Waterfront would be a plus.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:17 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissmiss05 View Post
I have been to Maine.

I spent time in Portland, and the resort areas on the east coast.
Just was looking for a more detailed idea of the area.
Okay, good, for the Portland area there is a Portland sub-forum here where most discussion about that region of Maine gets discussed. The Portland area seems to be the most urbanized area of Maine, so their outlook is often different from those in the rest of Maine which tend to be more rural areas.

As for the coast, Maine has over 3,000 miles of coast line, many nice communities.

Maine also has many wonderful islands with small communities.

Which communities on the coast have you been to? What were your thoughts on each of those, and perhaps others here can suggest other areas along the coast that you might like better.

Quote:
... I would like to be near a town or village and close to an airport
Waterfront would be a plus.
Maine has a great many rivers, lakes and ponds. As far 'inland' as is possible in Maine still has waterfront properties.

I live North of Bangor [kind of central Maine] right on the Penobscot river. Our home is forest with riverfrontage.

Our nearest airport is in Old Town, though Bangor has an International Airport that is just 25 minutes away.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:15 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
There are soooooo many places that could fit the bill that is impossible to answer the question unless you ask for more specific things.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:39 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,004,457 times
When I was looking to relocate I found some really interesting river front properties in Hollis....Saco River. I know nothing about the town.....but I was surprised at how low the properties were with river frontage .... and acres of land. I dont know about cottages or summer homes.....or anything about the town.....I didnt end up going that way. I thnk limington is over that way too.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:31 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
I was looking at some listings a couple of weeks ago. There was a decent sized property on the lake in Newport. Airports in Bangor and Augusta.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:59 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I was looking at some listings a couple of weeks ago. There was a decent sized property on the lake in Newport. Airports in Bangor and Augusta.
I wouldn't point anyone towards Sebasticook Lake in Newport without also mentioning the issues that lake has had with algae blooms. Google it for sure. Here's a link from the state gov web site listing it as an issue....
Reports of Algal Blooms, Maine Department of Environmental Protection (http://www.maine.gov/dep/blwq/doclake/repbloom.htm - broken link)

Old 06-24-2011, 08:57 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
I wouldn't point anyone towards Sebasticook Lake in Newport without also mentioning the issues that lake has had with algae blooms. Google it for sure. Here's a link from the state gov web site listing it as an issue....
Reports of Algal Blooms, Maine Department of Environmental Protection (http://www.maine.gov/dep/blwq/doclake/repbloom.htm - broken link)
OK. I wasn't aware that there was an issue there.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:59 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
[quote=swissmiss05;19733532]hi,
I am looking to rent and maybe eventually purchase a small cottage in Maine.

Can anyone tell me where to look that is not too expensive, on the lake or
river, and close to an active town?

I have done a bit of research online and have read about Wells, Onquicut (?)
and other well-known resort towns.

It will be primarily a summer home.

thanx so much for your help.[/quote

It might help to know how much you want to spend, number of bedrooms and bathrooms preferred; you say on a lake or river and close to an active town--does that mean you are ruling out oceanfront? and when you say rent do you mean temporarily for a a week's vacation or long term rent possibly with the option to buy? Typically the further from the coast and an active town, the lower the price, but in this economy you might find a bargain at just about any location. I've seen some oceanfront properties for sale for years and the price keeps dropping. The same could be true for lake, pond, or riverfront. Airports? Your best connections would be Portland or Bangor IMO.....or if you choose western Maine, the Manchester NH airport might be a good choice--I guess it depends to some extent on where you are flying to and from.

There's a recent thread with web sites for vacation rentals. The information goes beyond the location of the OP.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/maine...nity-troy.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine