Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2018, 03:03 PM

3,541 posts, read 2,899,970 times

Advertisements

As most people know we had a squirrel explosion this year and everything was fine as long as there was plenty of nuts and berrys for them to eat but now that fall is here there running out of food and causing damage.
I came home to find that they had got into my chicken coop and chewed threw 2 heavy plastic containers that I have had for over 10 years.
In that time they have never touched those containers, one time I even left it on my deck for a week filled with food and they never touched it.
Odd thing is there was a feeder in the coop filled with food that they left alone, apparently the cracked corn in the container was more attractive to squirrels than regular chicken feed.
Anyone else having issues with the tree rats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 06:45 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,849,621 times
Pellet rifles are effective for squirrels. There is no closed season on red squirrels. I don't know about grey squirrels.They are uncommon this far north.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:23 PM

4,569 posts, read 12,495,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Pellet rifles are effective for squirrels.
But... but... but... they're Bambis with fluffy tails!

Old 11-04-2018, 04:05 AM

19,989 posts, read 30,491,312 times
ive seen a field mouse explosion.....never have I seen a little one scurry across the living room ...but I did a few months ago....

so I got some mouse traps I got the basic cheap wooden ones.....put peanut butter on them and put a few around..... I got a couple but noticed they got smart and licked the peanut butter off without triggering the trap.....
then I bought the larger versions and also some black plastic ones.. they worked 10x better
I put some in the basement and was amazed at how many I got....

then I put some in the garage ...... in opened boxes...
I got a bunch more and 4 red squirrels ..
the black ones are powerful and kill them instantly along with the larger version of the wooden ones..

I no longer see them in the house....nor the basement .

I think the count is over 25 mice now

when I clean my cupboards I also noticed they had left some droppings ......they get everywhere and they can chew on anything even wires..

Old 11-04-2018, 07:23 AM

565 posts, read 945,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
ive seen a field mouse explosion.....never have I seen a little one scurry across the living room ...but I did a few months ago....

so I got some mouse traps I got the basic cheap wooden ones.....put peanut butter on them and put a few around..... I got a couple but noticed they got smart and licked the peanut butter off without triggering the trap.....
then I bought the larger versions and also some black plastic ones.. they worked 10x better
I put some in the basement and was amazed at how many I got....

then I put some in the garage ...... in opened boxes...
I got a bunch more and 4 red squirrels ..
the black ones are powerful and kill them instantly along with the larger version of the wooden ones..

I no longer see them in the house....nor the basement .

I think the count is over 25 mice now

when I clean my cupboards I also noticed they had left some droppings ......they get everywhere and they can chew on anything even wires..
Secret with the peanut butter and those traps is too use a very small amount, but more importantly, you have to put it inside the little tiny 3/4 circle of the bait section.

This requires some technique, and probably want to use a glove if the trap has been used before, however it works way better as far as them not able to remove the PB without setting off the trap.

Here is an image of a correctly baited trap, notice how there is no visible exterior PB? Its all inside that little circle. http://images.victorpest.com/is/imag...ap-mistakes-3?

Old 11-04-2018, 10:15 AM

19,989 posts, read 30,491,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
Secret with the peanut butter and those traps is too use a very small amount, but more importantly, you have to put it inside the little tiny 3/4 circle of the bait section.

This requires some technique, and probably want to use a glove if the trap has been used before, however it works way better as far as them not able to remove the PB without setting off the trap.

Here is an image of a correctly baited trap, notice how there is no visible exterior PB? Its all inside that little circle. http://images.victorpest.com/is/imag...ap-mistakes-3?
thank you for this...good info!!

I went the other way .(after a week)...I set up "traps" that were already triggered...just a bit ...every other one...so they would be "surprised" with a triggered one..

not sure how smart mice are but if they see a dead one in a trap they may stay away the squirrels caught on quicker

also after watching youtube videos I filled a small waste basket half full of water and smeared peanut butter on the sides and one of those individual peanut butter snack cups/tubs opened floating in the water with a ramp up to it..

this worked for 4 nights ... they got wise to it...but got around 8 of them with this

Old 11-04-2018, 03:52 PM

6,656 posts, read 13,672,251 times
We were overrun with red squirrels and mice until a short-tailed weasel showed up. When I shoot a red squirrel (.177) I leave it for the weasel. It shows up, tugs the squirrel away for an easy meal, and sticks around.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:58 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,319,324 times
get a Borzoi... My dogs are major hunters- and the squirrels don't have a clue that these dogs can run 35mph...

Old 11-08-2018, 06:30 AM

33,113 posts, read 36,908,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
get a Borzoi... My dogs are major hunters- and the squirrels don't have a clue that these dogs can run 35mph...
Or a West Highland White Terrier. No small animal on the property stood a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine