Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 04:13 PM

13 posts, read 11,386 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just signed up after lurking for a bit. I live in Connecticut and can't wait to leave for many reasons. I am thinking of moving to either Maine or New Hampshire in the next few years. I am wondering how worried I should be about finding a job. I am a guy in my 50's and work with autistic adults here in Ct, have also worked in retail food Co-ops and hotel work years ago. I have a buyer for my house and will be renting. (I made almost nothing on my sale here) I have read a lot here about how difficult it is to find jobs, is this still true? Years ago I lived in Vermont for five years, and was warned about how difficult it would be to find employment, fit into the community,etc. I found just the opposite, and had no problems with any of the above, and loved my time there. (It probably helped that the first thing I did after getting a job was to volunteer to deliver meals on wheels in town.) I just visited New Hampshire last month and didn't love it for some reason, the way I have loved my trips to Maine. I like nature, camping, fishing and other quiet pursuits so I don't need City life, but I do need work. Also.I will be renting, not buying. Any thoughts from the forum would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 05:24 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
In Princeton- there are jobs here and also many jobs in Calais ( 14 miles east ).

Jobs have really increased the last few years. In some ways- there is a labor shortage. ( Maine is a prefered place to retire so most people are older, and retired... )

Old 10-26-2018, 07:19 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Unemployment rate is about 3%.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:30 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
find a job that can support you first.....then come take a look at the area to see what you like ..

good luck..

the further north you go and away from the coast.....the more your dollar is worth ..

Old 10-27-2018, 05:25 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
All good info above. Maine needs people. You can indeed make a comfortable living at a far lower dollar cost than other states. NH is also booming, but it is becoming more densely populated.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:11 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Remember that there are more people and jobs in greater Philadelphia than the whole state of Maine.

Find a job before you move.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:19 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I know someone who is a proofreader, medical transcriptionist and editor who left New York City and came to Maine. Her disposable income is five times higher than it was in NY. She is a pro with more work than she can handle, but even people with limited skills can find work in Maine. Anybody who wants a job can find a job here.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:52 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
I don't know anything about current job openings, but midcoast for example - Belfast has a food co-op plus two farmer's markets, one with a *big* building... and nearby Camden has some 55+ housing communities that offer onsite care...

https://www.belfastmarket.com/

https://www.belfast.coop/

Independent living, assisted living, and nursing services in Camden, Maine | Quarry Hill

Genesis HealthCare > Windward Gardens

Old 10-28-2018, 06:58 PM

13 posts, read 11,386 times
Thank you all for the responses. I am planning a trip up to visit but I want to go in the Winter since I have only experienced Maine in warm weather. I am not planning any sudden moves, and am encouraged by the mostly positive replies. I can't imagine that the job market could be much worse than here in Connecticut. I am not fussy and have never been unemployed in my life except for two weeks in the late 80's. Of course I am older now....New Hampshire seemed a little expensive from what I saw. It took my cousins three years to find a house there they could afford. I am not looking to buy, but I realize high housing costs affect renters also. I have seen lower prices in Maine away from major population centers. Thanks again for the replies.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:30 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Another town you might look at if considering midcoast is Damariscotta- I see a lot of new retail/commercial buildings there when I stop in, looks like a booming (small) town.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 10-29-2018 at 04:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine