Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 07:49 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,029,998 times

Advertisements

https://www.city-data.com/forum/bango...nce-maine.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/portl...-who-move.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/maine...llow-your.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/maine...llow-your.html

Thought these threads would be helpful to people doing research, describing the culture of Northern Maine with the rest of New England.

Maine is a beautiful state and less crowded but still has the same problems in every state. So look at moving as, which state is the better of two evils. You can make a lot of money in New Jersey but I would rather live in Peace and Quiet.

I still visit friends there but now I know what I am in for. I would rather put up with the Mainer "your an outsider" attitude than immigrants "I don't speak English".

My friend in Gray,ME, his father lives on Matinicus Isle, Maine and hounds me all the time to visit, I would fit right in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 06:08 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Just curious. What about Bangor? Its situated right in the middle of the state. Does it have more in common with Portland (southern part of the state) or the more northern areas of the state?
Neither really, maybe slightly more with Portland only in that it's also a city. Central, Southern and Northern Maine are all very unique entities from one another.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:14 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Just curious. What about Bangor? Its situated right in the middle of the state. Does it have more in common with Portland (southern part of the state) or the more northern areas of the state?
For nearly 2/3s of the state, if you need a lawyer the nearest place with a selection of lawyers is Bangor. If you need a tractor dealership, Bangor. If you need a hospital for anything complicated, Bangor.

Bangor serves as a hub for 2/3s of the state [economics, healthcare, legal, big box stores, etc].

Old 08-27-2019, 07:30 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,909,844 times
Quote:
Just curious. What about Bangor? Its situated right in the middle of the state. Does it have more in common with Portland (southern part of the state) or the more northern areas of the state? I've never been to Maine and really have no desire to visit any other parts of New England but Maine has always interested me.
Definitely more in common with Portland. (Bangor thinks of itself as being "Portland north".........kind of a competition thing).

Old 08-27-2019, 07:33 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,909,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
from maine tourism site

Did you know ...?
The League of American Cyclists has ranked Maine, including Aroostook County, as one of the top 10 most bike-friendly states in the country.
The Northern Forest Canoe Trail extends more than 700 miles, beginning in Old Forge, New York and ending in the Aroostook town of Fort Kent.
Geographically, Aroostook County is the largest county east of the Mississippi—larger than the States of Rhode Island and Connecticut combined.
Named from a Native American word meaning “Beautiful River”, Aroostook County is home to the Mi'kmaq and Maliseet tribes.

tourists do come to the 'county"

The Aroostook County Regional Tourism Impact Estimates show that roughly 1.4 million people who do not currently live in the area visited in 2017, the same number as 2016. Those visitors spent an average of $155 million on local products and services such as retail shopping, lodging, gas and fuel and restaurants, which brought $53.3 million to the region’s economy and $14.3 million in total taxes.

overall maine tourism

Maine keeps attracting visitors in steadily growing numbers – nearly 36 million. Tourism is one of Maine’s largest industries, employing about 106,000 people, or one out of every six jobs in the state. The total economic impact is estimated at $9 billion,

36 million tourists a year come to maine…..majority may be day trippers ..

Many, many "2 or 3 day-weekend" trippers. The County does not get that crowd (too far away). So the tourism numbers are much lower, and the TYPE of tourists it gets are quite different. (That said, we seem to have had an uptick this summer, seeing a lot of cars from away).

Old 09-01-2019, 04:21 PM

18 posts, read 26,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Portland used to be a quaint Maine fishing town, but now is resided by and run by "out-of-state" elitists.
It has forever lost it's charm.
Sad, and it's moving north.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:54 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,563,496 times
I'm a Connecticut native, born and (mostly) raised. However, I lived in Wells (1974 to October 1977) and Old Orchard Beach (September 2, 1985 to June 20, 1987 for 9th and 10th grade). I would gladly live in Maine again...but only Portland proper. I must have a city, an airport nearby (PWM) and a mall (Maine Mall) besides other places to eat, the Cross Insurance Arena and Hadlock Field (hate the Red Sox though), too. Living in maybe South Portland or Westbrook would require a sweetheart deal. The plus here near Hartford is being between New York City and Boston. I'm running out of nice things to say about central Connecticut otherwise.

I've only been within the city limits of Bangor once. It was by the entrance to their airport. I've never been north of the city.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:27 PM

28 posts, read 29,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Portland used to be a quaint Maine fishing town, but now is resided by and run by "out-of-state" elitists.
It has forever lost it's charm.
I am from the other Portland. It lost its charm to me out of staters bought up the state. Everything is expensive now in Oregon.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Just because these people disagree with your views, doesn’t mean that you have the right to use insults. Insults are the domain of those who don’t have a solid enough argument to act civilly.

These people are residents of the State of Maine. They pay taxes to Maine and to Portland. They pay excise taxes for their cars.

They are Mainers. They are not out of state elitists unless you have determined that Portland is no longer a city in Maine.

Frankly, my dear, your comment is just plain offensive, and unlike the caring attitude that I have come to expect from Mainers as a whole.
Not really, they’re not. You gotta do more than pay Maine taxes to be a real Mainer!!

Old 11-19-2019, 08:51 AM

846 posts, read 1,021,137 times
So what is your criteria in absentia? Inquiring minds want to know. You must have a very clear idea, but failed to share it with the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine