Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 10:43 AM

2,376 posts, read 1,859,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Some people just don't think that living trendy is worthwhile. That being a slave to the almighty dollar just to buy more things, junk they don't need is worth it. That living a quiet simple inexpensive life in the country is more satisfying than any hipster Portland craft beer BS life. Don't blame them. And honoring the past and our ancestors etc is a good thing. Not a bad thing.
This is romanticized view of it IMO. Northern Maine is great in the Summer but then you've got 5 months of the year where the average temperature is below freezing... The other thing is for single people it's tough to meet a good partner in a town of 80...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 07:30 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,058,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
This is romanticized view of it IMO. Northern Maine is great in the Summer but then you've got 5 months of the year where the average temperature is below freezing... The other thing is for single people it's tough to meet a good partner in a town of 80...
Less ticks.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:49 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,908,758 times
Quote:
You are correct about single people. I know I failed, and had to import my partner (from Toronto). She likes it here, by the way.
As for temps, it's cold but not THAT cold. Only three months of the year have average highs that are below freezing (December, January and February). Although this November has certainly felt COLD......

Old 06-20-2019, 03:30 PM

18 posts, read 26,746 times
I live near Bangor and there was a time, when living in southern New Hampshire traveling to Nova Scotia that I thought Bangor was about as back woods as a place could get. Now, I don't see a difference between Central NH and Bangor. People laugh at me when I say it's too crowded. Delivering some of my art pieces to Greenville yesterday, driving the little towns was pretty peaceful, but I wonder if moving that much further north would appease me.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:33 PM

18 posts, read 26,746 times
Or build mic-mansions and then put them on the market when what they thought would be that magical place turned out not to be.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:45 PM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Quote:
This is romanticized view of it IMO. Northern Maine is great in the Summer but then you've got 5 months of the year where the average temperature is below freezing...
Back in the good old days, a good friend of mine was a visiting scholar from Norway - he told me of a student from Africa who was writing home and describing the seasons in Trondheim, and she wrote "They have the light winter, and then they have the dark winter"

Old 06-26-2019, 07:33 AM

131 posts, read 144,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Back in the good old days, a good friend of mine was a visiting scholar from Norway - he told me of a student from Africa who was writing home and describing the seasons in Trondheim, and she wrote "They have the light winter, and then they have the dark winter"
hahaha sounds like idaho sometimes

Old 06-26-2019, 08:44 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
If you apply an urban economic system on a rural area, the rural area will do poorly. When the next big recession hits the urban economic system harshly, I highly doubt too many people in rural Maine will be hungry or freezing to death.
Agreed.

The global elites want everyone living in urban areas, where they are dependent on them, and thus, easier to control.

The self sufficient people in rural areas know how to live without all the amenities.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:15 AM

216 posts, read 564,901 times
As someone currently living in Connecticut, one move we have always dreamed about was to the County. My family is from Northern Maine, and there still remains a large contingent of them there today. One side crossed from Quebec in the mid 1700's and the other side was part of the original Acadian settlement who fled the British in Nova Scotia. My ancestors were all farmers, as was my father until he was in his 30's and left the farm for CT to find work. Growing up, I spent many July 4th holiday at my Aunt and Uncles camp on Eagle Lake. This is a special week in my memories. Aroostook County is like heaven to me. Time is coming for my wife and I to think about being on the move. CT is changing, and not for our liking. Our sons are getting older now, and quite honestly, I don't like how they are growing up in CT. I don't like their school....I don't like their schoolmates, and especially don't like the parents! They are phony, plain and simple. I pick up my boys from school, dressed in jeans and work boots, wearing my camo-hat and camo-coat.....the looks I get! Like I'm a cave man or something worse!

I get very ill reading the things I've been reading coming out of Southern Maine lately. I honestly mean ill, like a gut punch. The Sanctuary State debate, mass illegal immigration flooding the Portland area, gun control, abortion, the fight to see who can go farther to the left. Almost like I am looking at stories from the Massachusetts Government. What happened? What is going on in Maine? The saddest part for us is that we are now having to rethink our future. I guess it's nice to hear people talk of Northern Maine as unchanged.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:36 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,921 times
“Almost like I am looking at stories from the Massachusetts Government”
Where do you think they came from ?

City people always have an idealistic though process about “getting out of here and moving to
——— . Fill in the blank. My beloved Blue Ridge Mountain home was invaded by denizens of Raleigh, Charlotte, and the like. Each new arrival had to have a bigger home higher up the mountain. Result? An erosion of local culture and charm, congestion and a replication of all the societal ills they were moving away from to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine