Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 06:58 AM

12,577 posts, read 9,675,150 times

Advertisements

I like old buildings, porches, and general stores. Visited 4 of them this past weekend and wanted to plug 2 of those. Have any favorite general stores you'd like to share?

Lincolnville Center General Store: Lincolnville has 2 parts - Lincolnville Beach, which most people just drive past, and Lincolnville Center - maybe 5 miles inland from there on Rte 173, which most people don't even know exists. There is a great general store there in the center of town, in fact the store *is* the center of town. It's a beautifully redone 19th century building with a nice front porch and deep connected side porch that invite sitting, sipping and supping. There are some groceries and sundries but I'd say the main offering are the yummy prepared foods that one can eat on the premises or take out. Half a dozen beautiful lakes and ponds are nearby. *Loved* this place.
a little store on the coast of Maine

Port Clyde General Store:at the end of the St Georges Peninsula lies the small town of Port Clyde, right at the end of Rte 131. This place backs to the water near the ferry landing. I had missed the counter hours, but this has a great looking breakfast/lunch counter with stools, old-timey style. Nearby is the Marshall Point Lighthouse.

https://www.lindabeansperfectmaine.c...general-store/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 07:48 AM

973 posts, read 2,386,688 times
When I think of a General Store, the one that comes to mind that truly deserves that title is Bishop's over in Jackman. Need gas, got it...hunting or fishing supplies...got it...pizza...got it...beer...of course...tag your deer, moose or bear...yep...and the list goes on and on. Don't forget to pick up some tourist trinkets either.

https://www.bishopsstore.com/

Old 06-05-2018, 04:56 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,524,232 times
East Boothbay General Store. Awesome food. Small place but it's great.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...bay_Maine.html

The East Boothbay General Store

Old 06-05-2018, 05:40 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,722,215 times
Day's Store in Belgrade Lakes. I remember going over there in Chester Thwing's guide boat around 1944. Gas was rationed. You didn't idle any gasoline engine. It was powering your vehicle or it was off. Chet's son-in-law was Don Mosher and he taught me to paddle a canoe in 1944. Day's store was old in 1944. Mr. Day had white hair. Now I have white hair.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:27 PM

The Pine Tree Store in Grand Lake Stream. It is mostly fishing equipment and some boating spares. The pizza is great and for guides, coffee is free. Guides provide valuable information and some local character. Most guides are "characters".

Old 06-05-2018, 06:35 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,281,618 times
someone put some good money in that lincolnville center store ....not sure if its the same door but i remember pushing that door at this store when i was 7 my family is from lincolnville..

port clyde is an awesome store i use to visit that store many times per year for work..

maine has still many stores- general independent stores that are well over 100 yrs old...
in fact a store in maine called frisbees from kittery was the oldest family run store east of the mississippi...from 1837 - stayed in the same family til 2010 ish

husseys in windsor has been there over 100 yrs...theyve had their sign on the tonight show.......guns/beer/wedding gowns..

sleepers in caribou is over 100 yrs old.....stayed in the family,, david the present owner is a good friend...

c.h. mathews in cherryfield ...in the family since the 1880's bruce mathews is still the owner...

merrill and hinkley in blue hill has been in movies in the 30's and 40's has some awesome pictures on the walls inside...this store is well over 100 years old...

french & brawn in camden.. well over 100 yrs old (1888) don mclean (american pie) has been known to shop there along with john travolta and kirstie alley

and im sure their are many many others.....

a store owner in albion was remodeling his store a few years ago and came across some signs/buttons from the roosevelt campaign ..

boyntons in hallowelll been there forever and thru many floods - jake baker was a previous owner and he got invited on the tonight show ......they wanted to ask about his famous mincemeat that he shipped all over the world ....before christmas......but he declined to go on the show.... "im a hard working man im not an entertainer"
he told me .

sawyers market in southwest harbor was in "the perfect storm" martha stewart has shopped there

reilly's in new harbor is another awesome store very clean with wooden floors he still "oils" every spring.....reggie the owner now in his 80's his father started the store nearly 100 years ago and its still in the family...

i was in one store and read some notes of a store worker..... thru world war 2 who was leaving and who wasnt coming back and rationing

general stores were the community centers of small town maine and still are....
many many are gone.....sadly.

i witnessed one store owner ...he showed me personally......just before christmas time....he showed me 1500 dollars in cash .....and with his eyes full he said .... this is.... from "anonymous" townsfolk....that that give me money every year to help others that need it.......from a dinner basket to heating oil fill to cords of wood... to cash..... to hardship families...to elderly live alones...to someone who just lost their job.....and has kids.. to struggling single mothers

this happens in many many towns you just wont hear about it....

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 06-05-2018 at 06:47 PM..

Old 06-05-2018, 06:37 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,281,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Day's Store in Belgrade Lakes. I remember going over there in Chester Thwing's guide boat around 1944. Gas was rationed. You didn't idle any gasoline engine. It was powering your vehicle or it was off. Chet's son-in-law was Don Mosher and he taught me to paddle a canoe in 1944. Day's store was old in 1944. Mr. Day had white hair. Now I have white hair.
ive dealt with a guy named kerry at days for 25 years..(one of the owners).i think hes married to the daughter of the gentleman you mentioned

Old 06-05-2018, 08:52 PM

The bench out front at Haskell's Store in Lee was an old church pew. Old timers used to entertain the "summer people" with stories somewhat based on fact. In some locales that furniture was called "the liar's bench". More than 25 years ago, a computer bulletin board was created called The Liar's Bench. It became a blog which outgrew the computer it was based on. A server was obtained and it became As Maine Goes.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:27 AM

12,577 posts, read 9,675,150 times
Thanks to all for sharing some great ideas for places to visit and stories of how they have enriched your lives over the years.

mainebrokerman - I believe that general store has been in Lincolnville Center for a lonnng time. Here is a Bangor Daily News article on the journey the current owners had to restoring it - they gave up once and sold it and then later bought it back again! https://bangordailynews.com/2017/11/...-lincolnville/

Thanks too for sharing the story of the general store proprietor who serves as a conduit for support for people from the town to those less fortunate in their community - it is uplifting just to hear about and I am sure that goes 10x for those in need.

NMLM - love that story about the "liar's bench" at Haskell's :-) You seem to be like an encyclopedia of Maine lore!

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 06-06-2018 at 06:35 AM..

Old 06-06-2018, 07:09 AM

217 posts, read 200,677 times
I always get a kick driving past Hussey's General Store in Windsor. "If we ain't got it, you don't need it". They have all bases covered.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine