Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:31 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Do you remember how it was wayyyyyyyy back. Smoking was like wearing a butterfly collar~ ~ Nothing strange but very normal. I remember my father boarding our plane to Florida with a smoke in his mouth ( he did quit in the 80's~yeah dad) and I remember being in the hospital after getting my tonsils out, and watching people stroll by smoking.

The world has really changed.
We just weren't aware of the risks of alot of things.

Even driving with out seat belts. I remember wrestling my brother for the last chip in the bag in the back seat of the station wagon on our way to Kentucky.

My dad hammerin' down on the petal like " Smokey' and the Bandit."
Sing~ "we gotta long way to go .. and a short time to get there......"
Tami~peachie
Boy oh boy, do I ever remember....
smoking on planes.... kind of makes you wonder looking back at it how miserable the non-smokers were. Perhaps, they were just used to it? Everyone smoked everywhere. I smoked in a hospital bed with a back injury just 20 yrs ago. I remember having an ashtray on my desk at work!
I remember telling everyone that I was going to quit when they hit a buck per pack. Look at what we pay now? They're acutally much cheaper down here, but still a ridiculous expense and and yes I do relate to dramamamas comment about that "I'm better than you" look. That's exactly why we hide in the bushes and behind cars, total embarrassment!

Yes, things have changed... we can too.

*singing* we get by with a little help from our friends....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 11:16 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
Nothin beats Joe Cocker's version, mer
I am behind you all the way!!

Old 04-29-2008, 06:01 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Boy oh boy, do I ever remember....
smoking on planes.... kind of makes you wonder looking back at it how miserable the non-smokers were. Perhaps, they were just used to it? Everyone smoked everywhere. I smoked in a hospital bed with a back injury just 20 yrs ago. I remember having an ashtray on my desk at work!
I remember telling everyone that I was going to quit when they hit a buck per pack. Look at what we pay now? They're acutally much cheaper down here, but still a ridiculous expense and and yes I do relate to dramamamas comment about that "I'm better than you" look. That's exactly why we hide in the bushes and behind cars, total embarrassment!

Yes, things have changed... we can too.

*singing* we get by with a little help from our friends....
My Maine support group. Pun intended. I just took my last of that chantix prescription and I'm now on my own... did I mention DH (woxyroxme) smokes and has no intentions of quitting.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:18 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Congrats on your great accomplishment! I've heard good things about Chantix and plan on getting it on my next trip to the doc. Does it bother you with having Woxy smoking around you?

Old 04-29-2008, 06:52 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
My Maine support group. Pun intended. I just took my last of that chantix prescription and I'm now on my own... did I mention DH (woxyroxme) smokes and has no intentions of quitting.
Congratulations!! how was chantix? Did you have dreams alot? I know I can't use the patch, it makes my skin go numb in that area.

Well, good luck with DH in the house. I know that was one of the reasons I went back to smoking, because he was. Now he's not smoking after 30 yrs so, it's my hope to quit too.

Tami~peachie

Old 04-29-2008, 03:14 PM

198 posts, read 354,404 times
I smoked for 43 years, and I quit cold turkey 10 years ago. I don't miss them, and whenever I smell cigarette smoke I realize just how awful it had to be for all those who didn't smoke back when smoking was acceptable everywhere.

Nasty habit.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:45 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-88 View Post
I smoked for 43 years, and I quit cold turkey 10 years ago. I don't miss them, and whenever I smell cigarette smoke I realize just how awful it had to be for all those who didn't smoke back when smoking was acceptable everywhere.

Nasty habit.
Congratulations! We all lived through the smoking era and are better for it. Tolerance is built from compassion. People we loved smoked and even though we hated smoking we loved the smoker.....still do!
Welcome to the other side of the fence.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:22 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-88 View Post

Nasty habit.
Congratulations L88!" I hope I will be able to come back to this thread and tell you that I have done it again. I'm very happy for you!
peachie~Tami

Old 05-02-2008, 05:12 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,791 times
I could really use a Chesterfield right now.

YouRememberThat.Com - Taking You Back In Time... - Cigarettes Are Good For You Chesterfield Cigarette Commercial (broken link)

I quite in '85. I smoked one pack, two times a day. Forty cigarettes a day for 15 years equals 219 thousand times I put a stinky butt out in a stinky ashtray. But even after all that, I still miss it a little. I guess that's why I still buy a cigar every now and then. But I don't inhale.

Cool site too. Lot's of old videos and pictures.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:47 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,941 times
My dad started smoking at an early age. As a teenager during the Great Depression he worked to help support his brothers and sisters. I guess he saw adults all around him smoking and picked up the habit. When he married my mother and their first child was born, he tried to quit several times because he didn't want to smoke around the baby. Each time he started up again.

Then one day he'd just purchased a carton of cigarettes and was driving down the road, smoking a cigarette, when he was overcome by a fit of uncontrollable hacking and coughing which nearly caused him to have a serious accident. So angered by this close call with injury or death for so petty a reason as choking on cigarette smoke, he picked up the new carton and heaved it out the window. And never smoked again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine