Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:41 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thDishRanAwaywiththespoon View Post
save gas ride a horse
As long as it doesn't poop on my lawn!

Last edited by Maineah; 04-21-2008 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,595 times
I guess I didn't state that I agree with the new laws regarding smoking in cars and around children. I truly think and agree with all that it is my right but dont take that away by smoking next to me or blowing smoke in my face. My disgust was that Maine has so many OUI's and they seem to let these people go free and again PAY for their
social disease. They put the tax on alcohol up a fews ago and apparently it was for sales more so and the bars/clubs absorb most of it to attract the business. I firmly believe in what the past few comments have said but for goodness sakes, nail those drunks , by the way, my ex is one of those oui's and he got off scott free twice with a good lawyer. he totaled out someones new car slap on the hands and a fine 2 months no driving, sounds great huh. He's a good man but the spirits are more of a friend . He complains about the cost going up and how he may have to pay more or get a smaller mug. I dont go into this without knowing a little bit about it. So for the comments that feel I may not be "all" there been there done that graciously, whinesomemore

Old 04-25-2008, 01:44 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,110,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thDishRanAwaywiththespoon
save gas ride a horse
----------------------------
As long as it doesn't poop on my lawn!
----------------------------
Please, let it poop on my lawn.
Have you seen the price of fertilizer lately?

Old 04-25-2008, 05:19 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
Whinesoome- I'm a smoker, but I don't like someone blowing smoke in *my* face either. It's just rude.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:40 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
We just came from a dinner at an Amvet's club in Yarmouth. All you can eat fried clams, shrimp, haddock, rolls,cole slaw and ice cream for $10.00! What a deal. Problem with it it's a private club that allows smoking inside. What a stench! We put up with it because we like the people and in a situation like that we entered their envrionment knowing full well we would have to breathe that smoke for the time we were there. It didn't kill us ,the dinner was fine and after a change of shirts there's no tell tale odor. I like to be able to choose. That's why I never had a problem with restaurants having a smoking section and non smoking section. Same thing with hotel rooms. If there is a choice, 9 times out of 10 I'll choose the non smoking event or room. It's nice to have a choice ,that said, smokers are people too and should not be relegated to the back yard or considered second class because they enjoy a stimulant many others may not care for.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:02 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,339,765 times
Hi, my name is Tami and I am a 7smoke aday smoker.
I'm not a heavy smoker, but I am one. I didn't post before because honestly I was frighten too. I didn't want everyone to think I'm terrible.
Most smokers like me, are hiding behind trees thinking "others will think less of me."

I have been smoking for 3 yrs now. It helps me with all my stresses.

So I just wanted to stand up and where my t shirt that says, I am an icky smoker. Get it out in the open.

I always respect those who don't, because it's a great life choice, and I know I would like to be able to quit when I'm ready again.
I have quit many times and the longest I have ever smoked is 4 yrs and the longest I have quit for is 7 yrs. Something always happens, and I grab them like "mix drink". ( I don't really drink.. a class of red once a month with dinner.)

So, in ways I'm on both sides of this fense. If you don't smoke I respect it, and probably wouldn't even show you that I do. If you did smoke, and feel the way I do about it, I be hiding with you behind the car and one of being the look out.
Tami~peachie

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 04-26-2008 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: deleted extra

Old 04-26-2008, 12:06 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,974,083 times
Doesn't matter a whit to me if someone smokes or not - doesn't bother me if someone drinks or not - I don't think we have the right to pass judgment on anyone for their personal habits. It's not up to me to judge anyone's habits, good or bad. Looks to me from some of the posts in this thread that people judge others by themselves and not by who the person is, bad habits, warts and all.

I think neither less nor more if someone is smoking and I like them. I'm not going to stay away from them, I'm not going to lecture them, I'm not going to shun them. People are people and need to be respected for who they are and not by what personal habits they have.

Off my soapbox now.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:18 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,467,464 times
Peachie- you cover me... then I'll cover you. Or you could go first if you want, I'll wait. Good friends make great look outs!

Smoking and the restaurant business go hand in hand. Always have.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainenative View Post
I lost several loved ones to years of smoking. It is very hard to watch someone suffer. It use to be that smokers were the majority but, not any longer. Now if you smoke you are the minority. I've heard so many times that if you quit cold turkey it takes a tole on the body and like many other addictions causes the bodies ammune system to break down and thats when people end up with cancer. Has anyone else heard that? My Uncle and my father in law both quit cold turkey and within a year died of cancer. But those who gradually quit lived longer lives, although, they had health problems like emphasima. I am only going on personal experience here. Anyone else have any input?
Most docs advise quitting, the sooner the better. Your body starts to repair itself rapidly after quitting. Of course, in many cases, the repair will not be complete b/c too much damage was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I have to go there too!! Bread, milk and basics have run low.

Ya know, odd thing,... My Mum smoked for at least 40 years. She quit after she had bypass surgery in her late 70's. Dad smoked kinda like me, off and on through his lifetime. Neither had lung cancer, and their issues were unrelated to smoking. My Grandmother never smoked in her life and died of emphysema.
Of course, not every smoker gets lung cancer. Some get other smoking-realted diseases (emphysema, heart problems, etc), and some get other cancers or die of something else entirely. But smoking is the cause of about 85% of all lung cancers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Then we should take away automobiles, construction, mining, Dunkin' Donuts, older tv sets with cathode tubes, radio and television signals, airplanes, farms, any manufacturing plant, camping in bear country, deep-sea fishing, etc, etc.
The research on fast food is not at all definitive. One can incorporate fast food into the diet and not end up having a heart attack. There is simply no safe level for exposure to cigarette smoke. As for some of the others above, the best way to avoid cancer while exposed to them is still to quit smoking. You will not die of cancer from camping or deep-sea fishing. Those are other issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
It's a wonder any of us lived when you consider we had no car seats, didn't wear a helmet to ride a bike and played on steel "monkey bars" erected directly over concrete.
Not all of us did live!

Old 04-26-2008, 01:09 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Hi, my name is Tami and I am a 7smoke aday smoker.
I'm not a heavy smoker, but I am one. I didn't post before because honestly I was frighten too. I didn't want everyone to think I'm terrible.
Most smokers like me, are hiding behind trees thinking "others will think less of me."

I have been smoking for 3 yrs now. It helps me with all my stresses.

So I just wanted to stand up and where my t shirt that says, I am an icky smoker. Get it out in the open.

I always respect those who don't, because it's a great life choice, and I know I would like to be able to quit when I'm ready again.
I have quit many times and the longest I have ever smoked is 4 yrs and the longest I have quit for is 7 yrs. Something always happens, and I grab them like "mix drink". ( I don't really drink.. a class of red once a month with dinner.)

So, in ways I'm on both sides of this fense. If you don't smoke I respect it, and probably wouldn't even show you that I do. If you did smoke, and feel the way I do about it, I be hiding with you behind the car and one of being the look out.
Tami~peachie
i feel bad for the smokers you see outside,,,in the winter, but you'd think theyd quit,,however it is there personal choice.
the outside group of smokers, always seem to have a "look-out" watching the traffic,,,,,,probly keeping an eye, for any drive-by's....

im split on this issue, im all for personal choice and freedoms,,but, you hate to watch loved ones slowly die....

being the year 2008, with all out technology, and science, why hasnt anyone come up with a vitamin cigarette??
most of the smokers i talk to,,,,they say its a nervous habit,,,well,, if it is,,replace the tobacco, with something that wont kill ya,,,
yes, ive heard there have been attempts,,but i've yet to see a "safe" cigarrette in the store.

im surprised the infomercial folks havent jumped on this.....they could combine existing products, with the act of smoking,,,for a positive result,,
for example, it seems most infomercials, i see while clicking around,,seem to be some type of sexual enhancement stuff,, for men and woman,,,,why not take some of these vitamins,,whatever they are, and put it in the form of a cigarette...
they could have a sexy babe in the background, then show "smiling bob" feeling confident, proud, and all he has to do is light one up(unfiltered camel-toes).....yep, make for a funny informercial,,

but seriously, id like to see some alternative cigarettes, on the shelf,,,,i think half the smokers would switch immediately,,
just my two cents..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine