Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 05:52 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times

Advertisements

"Trails" can mean dozens of different things to people. Old time farmers had farm roads between neighboring farms where they could move farm equipment between farms. Some people think of these as trails.

Prior owners may have developed paths with little signs that name trees, flowers and animal browse. Sometimes they demand that future owners preserve those trails and actually put it into deeds as covenants. This should cause a buyer to be very wary. Covenants usually come with silent partners. They will send an enforcer to judge whether you are complying with an old agreement you may never have seen. There are penalties for non-compliance.

Some properties have existing snowmobile or ATV trails registered with the state. They are usually maintained by local clubs. You, the owner, determines where the trail can run or whether you want to have a trail for public use on your property. State approved trails are covered by a state insurance policy so if a tree falls on your property and somebody rides into that tree at night you are not liable. This is huge and it is why Maine has over 2,000 miles of snowmobile trails for the public to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 07:39 AM

221 posts, read 243,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"Trails" can mean dozens of different things to people. Old time farmers had farm roads between neighboring farms where they could move farm equipment between farms. Some people think of these as trails.

Prior owners may have developed paths with little signs that name trees, flowers and animal browse. Sometimes they demand that future owners preserve those trails and actually put it into deeds as covenants. This should cause a buyer to be very wary. Covenants usually come with silent partners. They will send an enforcer to judge whether you are complying with an old agreement you may never have seen. There are penalties for non-compliance.

Some properties have existing snowmobile or ATV trails registered with the state. They are usually maintained by local clubs. You, the owner, determines where the trail can run or whether you want to have a trail for public use on your property. State approved trails are covered by a state insurance policy so if a tree falls on your property and somebody rides into that tree at night you are not liable. This is huge and it is why Maine has over 2,000 miles of snowmobile trails for the public to use.

Thanks for the info. Im not sure How I feel about allowing the public on my land. I think i would end up fencing it all in.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:59 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexasEngineer View Post
Thanks for the info. Im not sure How I feel about allowing the public on my land. I think i would end up fencing it all in.
Feel free to post your land.

But if you go hunter on other people's land and they find out that your land is posted, you may likely find yourself uninvited.

We have let people hunt bear on our land, run trap lines and forage on our land. Then I learned that one of the trappers posted his own land. That individual is no longer welcome to trap on my land.

One of the great things about Maine is the trail system. 16,000+ miles of trails interlink every town, lake and pond. Most parcels allow you to cross, which makes all of this possible.

Landowners may post their land and some do. As more people decide to post land it detracts from what makes Maine so cool.

We just recently lost a huge tract of public accessible land. Sad.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:08 AM

I don't mind allowing access to people for passage or hunting to those who ask for it specifically and I meet, but i certainly wouldn't feel safe allowing unbridled access to strangers. especially once I start building it out with buildings, a home, etc... I personally wouldn't risk trespassing on others land either. Here in Texas we have a pretty big problem with squatters and thieves trespassing where they steal equipment, valuables and damage property. I would attempt to find a parcel of land that doesn't have any club maintained trails or weird easements that allow unrestricted access for some reason.

I passed on a great deal of a house/property because it has a television/radio antennae building 200' behind the house and it was smack dab in the middle of the property.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:29 PM

Im still kind of interested in place with the TV transmission antennae behind it...

I guess I need to do more research about the emp or radiation given off by these things...

Quote:
The 5 or say acre parcel has cam and sheds on it. It appears in reading the deed that there is a clear 30 foot right of way to the land. It is not included in the sale.

The home has value but has had some water damage in the past. It is not construction phase it was built in the late 70's. I am told the leaks are fixed but the damage remains and needs to be fixed. The land is harvested. The aerial map is a good reflection of the amount of timber on the land which is not much mature timber. All rights convey with the land including mineral. Let me know how I can help you more.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:19 PM

Here's a hint: On any building that has been unheated through the winter, connect a compressed air hose to the outside faucet at 40 PSI. Go around inside and listen for leads. If you have a hard time hearing high pitch sounds, bring a kid with you. They have very good ears.

An air leak is much easier to clean up than a water leak.

That house has been for sale for a long time.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I have no idea what im in for on these older Maine homes. I figured id hire a structural engineer/inspector to go over it good, then come in with a lowball offer due to the massive costs involved in getting that place how I would want it. The TV transmission antennae facility smack dab in the middle is a big turn off for me too. but at the right price I could live with it.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:19 AM

"Thanks for the info. Im not sure How I feel about allowing the public on my land. I think i would end up fencing it all in."

There is a store in Springfield that sells signs.

"Welcome Sports
If your land is NOT posted
or gated, please use mine.
If your land IS posted or
gated, please use yours.
Thank you"

Posted land is viewed as a hostile act and the poster will be treated accordingly. Up here, you can ride all day and not see a posted sign. None of my land is posted and it never has been.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:42 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
The culture of Texas is big on 'castle doctrine'. Your land is sacred, and you can freely shoot anyone who steps on your land. You can carry any firearm you want while on your land. On the other hand, when you step off your land then suddenly Open Carry and CCW have been restricted [until recently].

In Maine you can not just freely shoot people because they step on your land, and we allow Open Carry and CCW most everywhere.

A lot of land in Maine can not be posted. About 1/3 of one of my parcels is river flood plain and can not be posted. I have to allow for fowling, fishing, and foraging on my land. Anywhere that can be accessed via kayak is accessible to the public.

About 2 years ago a new law went through, that people picking fiddleheads for retail market have to first ask permission to pick on your land. But anyone picking for their own consumption can still pick. They kayak in and pick.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the information guys, I think I would be better off merely fencing in my homestead area and leaving the acreage open. What I dont want is people riding their ATV's or snowmobiles, or hunting next to my house. If I find a property 200-500 acres i could easily just fence in the homestead area, put up a private gate to the driveway and leave the remaining land open for use by others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine