Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 07:50 AM

428 posts, read 554,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
maybe this isnt about fiddleheads..

im guessing thousands of mainers are turning into growers/farmers over the last year....since the recreational marijuana laws have eased

with more and more growers will be in the woods,,,looking for areas to grow,,,maybe this is a pre-emptive strike

as the governor has stated....we have a tough time keeping up with all the thugs coming into maine dealing drugs and impregnating our maine women...

we dont want a wave of out of state growers coming up to grow marijuana.......and impregnating even more maine women
While cannabis may be edible, growing it would mean that it is not wild and I'm not sure you can call it food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 08:24 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,861,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
maybe this isnt about fiddleheads..

im guessing thousands of mainers are turning into growers/farmers over the last year....since the recreational marijuana laws have eased

with more and more growers will be in the woods,,,looking for areas to grow,,,maybe this is a pre-emptive strike

as the governor has stated....we have a tough time keeping up with all the thugs coming into maine dealing drugs and impregnating our maine women...

we dont want a wave of out of state growers coming up to grow marijuana.......and impregnating even more maine women
The new pot law will undoubtedly need some fixes added, like only allowing legal residents of Maine to grow it for personal use. I'm sure there will be many others.

RR

Old 02-11-2017, 09:00 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,204,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Fiddleheads typically grow in the flood plains of rivers / creeks. As such the public has access due to the fowling laws. Even if you post it, the fowling laws allow access by waterway to all of the flood plain areas.
That might be a little problematic on some of those islands in the waterway behind your house.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:14 AM

Well, given some of the responses, and no, I didn't read the bill - just heard from IF&W employees who testified against it, the out of state mentality is creeping up I-95. And I can understand it. Higher population densities, higher taxes (expect our maroon-in-chief to foment WAY higher real estate taxes in the next few years as he "adjusts" wealth distribution), more encroachment. There were almost NO "no trespassing" signs when I was a kid. You knew who was hunting on your land, and others respected your blackberry patch. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS POST YOUR LAND to accomplish what George wants. Done. It is already illegal to tip other people's trees or remove their personal property (berries, etc.) from property.

And Bills are submitted by Legislators. This Bill originated from George Smith, NOT Republican Tom Saviello. He just filed it. By the way, some of us try to get along with everyone, including Roxanne and Mr. St. Claire, who both have widely differing (as between themselves) views as Republican George Smith. And my views differ from all of them. Right or wrong, they're all opinions, learned life lessons, and trying to advance the fallacious nutty indoctrination theory by mere accusation of association is silly. Kinda like the morning news every day these days.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:35 AM

George Smith's defense of "his" bill:

Turkeys and Fiddleheads are up for legislative hearings on January 31 | George's Outdoor News

I can see the arguments against the bill as written and even the argument for requiring land be posted for specific purposes or bag limits placed on the items foraged. Commercial harvesting is another matter.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:15 AM

Turkeys were the worst ecological disaster to hit Maine in years. Their forage is the same as deer, and there is an argument the stocking of melleagras galapavo introduced lyme-bearing ticks to Maine and it is simply another money-making scam by IF&W to put a price on every single game species in the State. The Browning Auto 5 mag lays half a dozen out and I don't have to leave the dining room table. Just have to wait for them to line up. Vermin. Destructive vermin that compete with deer for feed, destroy commercial crops, bust up apple orchards, tear up lawns, etc. All to generate income for IF&W. Period. WHY would I want to bother to take a dead bird to a tagging station, or pay extra to hunt them? Heck, they're a lot more plentiful than partridge these days, and partridge are nowheres near as protected. Why? Ain't enough money in partridge.

Georgie boy lost all credibility with his repeated attempts at converting many of OUR native brook trout fisheries to FFO whereby kids and elderly who can't whip a fly rod for hours on end would be prohibited from fishing. If you haven't fly fished the Roach for a long day, you don't know what I mean. He's pushed for Newsowadnehunk, where he happens to have a camp, to be FFO. Hopefully his self-serving efforts will once again end with a whimper.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:44 AM

Agree 100% on the Turkeys

Old 02-11-2017, 03:25 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
That might be a little problematic on some of those islands in the waterway behind your house.
A large portion of my land is accessible via the fowling laws, so it can not be posted.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A large portion of my land is accessible via the fowling laws, so it can not be posted.
Possibly above high water, but my point was ". . . who owns most of the islands on the Penobbie?"

Old 02-12-2017, 12:19 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
As far as I know the Penobscots own all islands of the Penobscot River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: