Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:03 AM

259 posts, read 704,158 times

Advertisements

wow love the photos, thanks for posting! Snowing here so missed out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 08:48 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,546,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Writer I dub you "The Moon Photographer of The Year." Because you couldn't make it, I graciously accepted your award!! Very nice photos.
Thanks for the comments everyone! Tammy, I could use one of your cups of coffee. I'm not used to being up til midnight. 7th, you're too kind. What would I do without you to accept my many awards. If there was chocolate with the award I'm claiming it! You can keep the millions of dollars and the gold statue but hand over the chocolate!

Old 02-21-2008, 12:12 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,673,997 times
Great photos! I remember the first lunar eclipse I saw when I was 12 years old. I sat in the kitchen window and watched it for several hours. I was lucky enough to see a total solar eclipse in 1963 in Pittsfield,Maine. I remember my mother and grandmother making us "eclipse glasses" out of construction paper and film negatives. About 50 cars showed up in this big field and all of us kids got on the top of the cars to watch the event. It was cool. Right up there with seeing a space shuttle launch!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:19 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,399,406 times
I remember the SOLAR eclipse in 1963!

Old 02-21-2008, 02:59 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,818 times
We saw the first half as we were driving home from Myrtle Beach SC last night. I did some full moon stuff and when I went out after that, it had clouded over here at home so I couldn't watch the moon re-emerge... and we are cloudy tonight with several days of clouds and rain predicted so I will have to take it on faith that She re-emerged, barring eye-witness reports.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
It's so windy I can't keep the tripod still. It's too much for my little lens. These are very blurry and highly cropped.
Those are wonderful!! Wish I had been able to be there, but then I don't still have the telescope I built, on the mount that my dad made, which was welded onto a surplus surveyor's tripod... darn it. That thing was ROCK solid, and Dad even machined a piece that would screw into my Pentax to replace the lens, and held one of the telescope lenses inside, in the right place so all I had to use to focus was the 'scope's rack and pinion focus device.

That was back when I was in high school... I did all the calculations for the focal lengths, etc. and dad did the machine work. HE learned the metric system... I learned patience <g>

Old 02-21-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
The moon is _very_ brightly lit along its' lower edge now - bright white light. The light is coming back! One might imagine how primitive peoples might have interpreted an eclipse and its' ending. This great regular night light and visitor suddenly growing dark and dim - and then, hallelulia, is coaxed back, no doubt after lots of chants and prayers.

Would it be so simple to try to get our world, our peace back again...
I should have read the whole thread before my first post!

Seeing things like this -- and as simple an event as the sun rising (... finally...) over the mountain as we tried less than successfully to get a fire started after waking at first light on a camping trip -- are strong threads in my life yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine