Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Tree growth valuation, forestry plan for tree growth, rules, facts and formulas, buying land in tree growth from forester, forestry management plan, state tax assessor, acreage with homestead and barn

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 02:50 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,437,395 times

Advertisements

High grade hardwood species, such as red oak and sugar maple like a well drained soil. The harvest of shade trees will promote the growth of these hardwoods and keep the sucker trees like poplar or beech from rooting.
The same with how hard you cut your land. If you want to promote beech, red maple or poplar then you should leave upper story trees to grow.
Old pasture land tends to support softwoods as the grazing cattle would eat the hardwood saplings therefore allowing pine and spruce to flourish.
Late summer is the best time to cut softwood as the ground is dry and the seeds are falling. Believe it or not a skidder working in the softwood, is good for the promotion of the seeds as it stirs up the ground. It is estimated that every 3 years is a good cone crop and one should watch for that year and do the cut then if they want to propagate softwood.
One lot I own in tree growth was cut in the fall of 2001 and now supports
four and five foot spruce.
My return on average is $25.00/ cord per acre.
The pulp market along with saw logs is down right now.
Softwood pulp is paying $28 per ton, down from $32 a ton three years ago.
Hardwood pulp is $22 a ton.
Many years ago Scott Paper, which is now Sappi, determined that good planting, spacing and using superior seeds will increase yield in a shorter amount of time.
They imported Japanese hybrid seeds, which were biologically superior.
Black spruce, red spruce, Norway spruce to name a few. In 25 years these "super seeds" would grow enough to harvest pulpwood and some saw logs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 03:21 PM

37,516 posts, read 61,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
... My return on average is $25.00/ cord per acre.
... Softwood pulp is paying $28 per ton,
... Hardwood pulp is $22 a ton.
You get an average of $25 each year from each acre of woodlot, when harvesting it for pulp? [100 acres yields $2500 each year, year after year]

Or are you getting one cord from each acre each year?

Old 02-02-2008, 03:53 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,437,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You get an average of $25 each year from each acre of woodlot, when harvesting it for pulp? [100 acres yields $2500 each year, year after year]

Or are you getting one cord from each acre each year?
An average woodlot grows 1/2 a cord per acre a year.
To make a cut feasible, the logger must harvest 10 cords per acre.
On average the landowner will make $250 per acre.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:14 PM

38 posts, read 217,078 times
Let me start off by saying I didn't mean to offend anyone. I guess that happens in emails/forums and how the writing is interpreted, I meant it as a joke knowing that it is wrong to say things like when I get there I will change this or where I was from we did it this way. I know how that feels since my state is being invaded like no other on the east coast and we here it from Floridians as well as people from PA, NJ, NY, CT, OH, and others. But I do also know people can slip and I understand the meaning of grace and forgiveness. So I am sorry to offend. I don't want to offend my possible neighbors.

Forest, thanks for the unemotionally driven response and advice. It will be followed.

I only talk in experience that I have and it very well could be more limited then a lot of the members of this forum. But when I say that my experience is only from NC it is not to say it is better then Maine way I am just stating the fact that I don't have experience in the way it is done in ME.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:21 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,730,196 times
In winter the tracks on a mechanical harvester look like polished chrome. The combination of wood, snow and a very little mineral grit buffs them to a remarkable sheen.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:23 PM

Let me first start off by apologizing to all, no offense was meant. I think it was a lost in translation joke that clearly wasn't funny. I knew I would slip up and make a statement that would be taken as "I think we should change Maine to how NC does it" and I didn't mean it to sound that way. Sorry.

Forest thanks for the unemiotionally driven sound advice. It will be followed.

Again sorry to all I offended.
Shaun

Old 02-02-2008, 04:30 PM

KellySmith,

Sorry to offend. I guess I just disagreed and the way it came out sounded offensive. I always try to reread my post to filter those statements out but I didn't do a good enough job. Sincere Apologies.

As it turns out we were both right and both wrong. The blue stain is carried by beetles into the tree via their legs. But in the northern climates people cut their trees down in temps lower than 32 degrees since the fungus doesn't "grow" at temps below 32. So I learned something new today. Thanks

I sometimes come across as a Know it all and I realize I came across that way in my post to you. Sorry

Shaun

Oh here is a link to the site I found the info on.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/te...blue-stain.pdf

Old 02-02-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnc-eky-me View Post
Let me start off by saying I didn't mean to offend anyone. I guess that happens in emails/forums and how the writing is interpreted, I meant it as a joke knowing that it is wrong to say things like when I get there I will change this or where I was from we did it this way. I know how that feels since my state is being invaded like no other on the east coast and we here it from Floridians as well as people from PA, NJ, NY, CT, OH, and others. But I do also know people can slip and I understand the meaning of grace and forgiveness. So I am sorry to offend. I don't want to offend my possible neighbors.

Forest, thanks for the unemotionally driven response and advice. It will be followed.

I only talk in experience that I have and it very well could be more limited then a lot of the members of this forum. But when I say that my experience is only from NC it is not to say it is better then Maine way I am just stating the fact that I don't have experience in the way it is done in ME.

Didn't think this went through. Hence the 2nd post of apologies.

I will get this thing figured out soon.
S

Old 02-02-2008, 05:04 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,405,747 times
My limited knowledge of managed tree growth was with a company I worked with. We used a Kabota tractor with a bucket on the front. First we would dig out on one side of the tree, then knock down the smaller pines with the Kabotas bucket in the area we wanted to use to promote the larger trees growth. Pine have a "tap root", a single large root that grows deeply. By "pushing" them down, it broke the tap root and It was then easy to use a chain saw to cut them up and haul them away.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:06 PM

973 posts, read 2,387,585 times
wnc-eky-me,
No apology needed. I agree with your statement about some folks thinking the blue/black stain is nice. The locals I know don't agree, but it does have a specialty market, but you won't find many old-timers buying it. Another reason that most of the pine is cut up this way in the winter is the only place there is old growth pine still standing is on land where a mountain goat couldn't stand, so it is pretty harsh terrain usually. If it could be cut with horses, it was harvested years ago.
I also appreciate your insite on forestry practices. I have a brother who was a forester for St. Regis, then Champion, and I've heard his passioned debates about how no one size fits all as far as forestry management. Mills managed their land to produce the most fiber, and sometimes that even meant properly sized clear-cuts and re-planting. My opinion, and that's what it is, is that the state put up so many roadblocks that the paper companies couldn't manage their lands so that it would produce the fiber they needed, and the only asset value of the land was the land itself. So along comes plenty of corporations willing to buy the land and develop it, or put it in trusts to change the way the land has been used for years. Nothing wrong with a viable working forest, and yes, the end result is cutting some trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine