Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Xan Xan started this thread

12 posts, read 26,398 times

Advertisements

My first entry. My story is similar in terms of finding a place to spend the rest of my life. I am 55, a female with a medical background and a specialty in mental health and psychiatry. I have recently focused on drug/alcohol counseling instead of Gestal therapy. As everywhere, there is always a need in this area, sad but true.
I, like so many in the health field have destroyed my own health. It is common to have back problems. I have had two surgeries, two and a half years ago. I still go for therapy three times a week, due to severe nerve damage. I know if I continue I will get better and better. I have never given up on anything in my life despite how bleak things can appear. I would like to start a new chapter in my life. My kids are grown and wonderful, people. They both live in Florida (that's convenient, he he) but I love the seasonal changes. I live in New York State but have lived most of my life in New Jersey. I love Maine, have been visiting two to three times a year for about eight years now. What do I have to lose? I'm not afraid, I have worked hard my whole life,I love life and nature, blah blah. I want to buy a place big enough to have friends and family over. I want some land for my animals and a huge garden. I have found just such a place in Sebec. It is quite far, pop. only 612, small village.137 mi. from Portland. Huge, salmon stocked lake with the reputation of being the least used lake in Maine despite it's awesone beauty and diverse fish pop. Can anyone tell me about Sebec? I know the basics but you know the real info from within? So I won't feel so.....with out.Thanks in advance, Xan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 12:28 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,395,251 times
Hi and welcome to the forums. I'm in Milo, Sebec is between Milo and Dover-Foxcroft. It's very small, very scenic and minutes to Dover-Foxcroft. There are a lot of farms in the area for fresh produce in season, PYO strawberries, and small town friendliness. There's a little place, more of a shack that sells used furniture and stuff. The guy that runs it knows a lot of regional history and "goings on". Here's a link to some local info.
Three Rivers Community of Maine
I'll try to help with any questions I can

Old 01-20-2008, 02:50 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,708,035 times
In addition to a gorgeous lake, Sebec has a beautiful river, the Piscataquis. It's a nice town. Dover and Milo each have adequate services. Dover has a very good hospital with an outstanding orthopedics group. I had my shoulder rebuilt there and got 100% range of motion out of it.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:51 PM

Default Does Sebec exist?

Northern Maine Land Man. Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear your shoulder is fine. My last job required a lot of orthopedic case managment. How do folks in Sebec feel about outsiders? I just want a peaceful life. I enjoy helping others and would love to get involved if I am welcome in such a community. Let me know if I am doing this incorrectly, many terms and instructions I am not familiar with. Xan

Old 01-20-2008, 06:58 PM

Default Does Sebec exist?

Hi msina. Thanks for the welcome and the offer of future advice. I have a ton of questions but as I said I have done a lot of research and have traveled all over Maine. That is quite different from living there. Are you a resident or a transplant? Xan

Old 01-20-2008, 07:01 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,395,251 times
I'm from Maine but, I have lived In Massachusetts. This area is very friendly and easy going.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:03 PM

Most folks in Northern Maine welcome newcomers. They keep our towns viable. Just don't run for school committee the first year. You can have a peaceful life here. Most do. There are plenty of opportunities to help out through churches and community groups.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:25 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,394,359 times
Hi Xan. I must tell you of my sister. She recently moved back to Dover a couple years ago from the San Jose area and Central Valley. She worked for me for over 15 years. Since moving back to the family farmhouse, she is much more active and involved, now that she is out of the city. She feels less isolated, a lot different than living in the suburbs of California. She is now active with her doll club, choir, friends, relatives and town events. Although we all know she could have done the same things in Cal., it just all seems right back in Maine.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:06 PM

Hi RMoore007. Thanks for the story. Sounds like a happy ending. I guess I am trying to find a new family through a new community. My kids want me to do what makes me happy and I have always loved Maine. I feel this longing to be back there often. I studied in Europe and the winters were brutal. I don't mind the cold. I need to get organized and familiarize myself with the environment and I'll be just fine. Xan

Old 01-24-2008, 03:45 PM

Somebody just published a book about Sebec history. It can be purchased in Milo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine