Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:10 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,202,583 times

Advertisements

Ah, wet basements. I make it a point to NEVER buy a house that has ever had a sump pump, and I've never had a wet basement. That doesn't mean that not having a sump pump means you won't have a wet basement, only to emphasize that I don't even consider houses that there is even a smidgen of a chance the basement could be wet.

When you get your house inspected, read the disclaimer. Then you'll understand why so many people buy houses that have significant problems. Even if you hire a competent home inspector, he/she can only inspect what they can see. And, we all know that the things that come back to haunt us are the things they can't see (especially in older homes). For example: mold in the walls, wet basements, bad roof, bad insulation, failing appliances and well pumps, rodent and insect infestations, wiring and plumbing problems... Hopefully a good inspection will ferret out some of this stuff,but if they don't see it, it won't be on the report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 02:45 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,133,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Ah, wet basements. I make it a point to NEVER buy a house that has ever had a sump pump, and I've never had a wet basement. That doesn't mean that not having a sump pump means you won't have a wet basement, only to emphasize that I don't even consider houses that there is even a smidgen of a chance the basement could be wet.

When you get your house inspected, read the disclaimer. Then you'll understand why so many people buy houses that have significant problems. Even if you hire a competent home inspector, he/she can only inspect what they can see. And, we all know that the things that come back to haunt us are the things they can't see (especially in older homes). For example: mold in the walls, wet basements, bad roof, bad insulation, failing appliances and well pumps, rodent and insect infestations, wiring and plumbing problems... Hopefully a good inspection will ferret out some of this stuff,but if they don't see it, it won't be on the report.

Clearly you only will buy a new house. Old houses have all these "problems". There are benefits to old houses.

We knew that most people have no skills anymore to fix up houses. so before moving to our old house in Maine we renovated the 25 year old house top to bottom. Except for one run in one room, there was nothing that hadn't been replaced. The home inspector found things to replace that were simply made up:

He claimed that the vent to the attic would leak from a tiny picture 35 feet away. Having not climbed a ladder he didn't see that I used a whole tuber of Silicone on the vent---inside and out.

He claimed that the shower faucet leaked and didn't turn off properly. He failed to understand that it was replaced a week before and that in the full counter clockwise position it wasn't off.

He claimed that the deck was weak and old and needed to be replaced. We had replaced the posts, added back posts instead of t just the connection to the house. Reinforced the connection to the house, and reinforced the entire deck with new decking and walls. Two people moving back and forth couldn't make it move, which was what it did new. My wife sat on it during an earthquake and didn't even know we had one.

That was about all he he could find.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Clearly you only will buy a new house. Old houses have all these "problems". There are benefits to old houses.
Sorry, never owned a new house... or a house under 15 years old for that matter. I did own a house built in 1895 for 20 years.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:25 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,897,663 times
I think mainebrokerman and WhoFanMe offered great advice. I can understand you having some fears, but don't let them rule your life. It seems you could be heading for a nervous breakdown over these fears. Certain things done to a house require a building permit, right? Wouldn't there be a record of those? From a friend who is a contractor, vinyl siding can hide lots of problems so I would want to see what's under the vinyl siding or make sure not to buy a house with vinyl siding. What about the show "This Old House?" Old houses have character and maybe a few spirits. Find out when the electrical was done or redone, plumbing, etc. I never heard of termites in Maine houses and have never known anyone in Maine who had/has a wet basement. (maybe they follow bangorme's advice) Visit the house when it's raining--a down pour and go into the basement aka cellar. Most older house are built out of what I refer to as"real boards" at least.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Certain things done to a house require a building permit, right?
"I don't need no stinkin building permit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I never heard of termites in Maine houses and have never known anyone in Maine who had/has a wet basement. (maybe they follow bangorme's advice) Visit the house when it's raining--a down pour and go into the basement aka cellar. Most older house are built out of what I refer to as"real boards" at least.
Never seen termites in Maine, but have seen carpenter ants a number of times.

My parents bought a house many years ago that had a beautiful finished basement... paneling and everything. They put furniture, a TV, etc down there. The following Spring there was a nice trout stream flowing from one corner of the basement to the other. It flowed right into a sump hole in the far corner. Dried up in a couple months. They investigated digging out the foundation and all that stuff, but it was way to expensive. They ended up just never using it... lesson learned.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:55 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,133,526 times
Quote:

There are no termites in Maine. But occasionally somebody will get a mortgage from some company out of Maine, and the termite guys will come down from Bangor, have a picnic at your house and then return.

Wish I could say the same about European Fire Ants.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:09 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,897,663 times
Quote:
"I don't need no stinkin building permit"

My parents bought a house many years ago that had a beautiful finished basement... paneling and everything. They put furniture, a TV, etc down there. The following Spring there was a nice trout stream flowing from one corner of the basement to the other. It flowed right into a sump hole in the far corner. Dried up in a couple months. They investigated digging out the foundation and all that stuff, but it was way to expensive. They ended up just never using it... lesson learned.
I am not a contractor, but would french drains help the basement situation?

If the termites were in the area, they froze to death. I have heard that ants will attack a house's wiring--exterminate those varmits.

btw, I know someone who ended up with a fine instead of getting a building permit....just more government in your business.

http://umaine.edu/publications/2550e/

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 04-21-2015 at 04:28 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 05:39 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
There are lots of rules like speed limits and tree cutting. People learn what is acceptable and get along well. Every now and then somebody on here asks about an occupancy permit. You can live in the house you are building with no occupancy permit. No functionary is going to come by and tell you that you have to sleep in a tent - on the lawn - in the rain - instead of in the house you built because there is no occupancy permit.

Maybe that could happen in Portland, but not in Northern Maine.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:02 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:

I live in a floodplain,,,and have a sump pump basin, with three pipes feeding into it-

I don't like this set up, but have managed with this for almost 25 yrs,

I have a sump pump in the basin, that works well, and a battery back up...

yes. ive had water in my basement , its something ive chose to live with,,because 99% of the time,,,i don't have water in my basement,,and I enjoy living on the water

when looking at the home,,,i asked the owners about the basement and water,,and he was truthful, pretty much said what I just did,,,
the fishing, swimming, boating, watching ospreys/eagles beautiful sites far outweigh the
some spring water challenges some years

here are a couple pics from out my living room a couple days ago

so im more than willing to tolerate some water in the basement challenges,,,a couple days a year,,,and sometimes no problems for 5 years.. just comes with the territory

oh, and my property taxes are under 1200, not bad for a three bedroom house

Perils of older home purchase-img_0468.jpg

Perils of older home purchase-img_0467.jpg

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 04-22-2015 at 04:56 AM..

Old 04-22-2015, 11:02 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,909,844 times
If an older home has been maintained well throughout its life, you rarely run into major problems. It is when there is a "lapse" for a number of years that problems arise.
Even then, a competent handyman with a decent budget can repair houses with "issues". I always love to see old homes brought back to life.......wanted to do that myself but the wife said "NO!". So we agreed on an 1890 home that really had no big issues. It does get a little water in the basement during really wet times, but since it's not a finished basement, we just use a dehumidifier and live with it. No biggie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine