Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 01:44 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,230,835 times

Advertisements

I'm going to start a thread about my first-hand views of some of the neighbourhoods some have asked about; feel free to jump in and comment.

And, be aware, I am a city-dweller by birth, and often by design. My observations are solely my own and are not influenced by the sun or rain!

Be back later!

I have to recuperate after driving the length of Penn Avenue to the Strip and back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 03:49 PM

I'll start with some pleasures:

The Strip District

Although I've been to the District on many occasions, and have done one or two workshops at the Society for Contemporary Crafts http://www.contemporarycraft.org/ , this is the first time I went alone.

It was a small nightmare to begin with because I never realized that Penn Av turned into the District having always been driven and parked on a side street. So I went all the way through the District, and then turned right to see if I could turn around and I was on a bridge (one of hundreds). No panic! I turned around and illegally parked near a coffee and cigar cafe (Leaf & Bean) - good coffee, btw on 22nd Street.

Then I walked over to Penn Mac and found some great cheese, olives and Bustelo coffee. I left weighed down and headed to the Farmer's Choice for some meat (great prices). My daughter is demanding and all this shopping is for her (her pregnancy is just an excuse, I think).

Some info on shops in the District: http://zine375.eserver.org/strip.html

Sat and had that cup of coffee, but while driving I paid especially attention as I drove through one neighbourhood, then another.

I don't think the Strip is quite ready to be called another SoHo, but it has the potential of a Meat Market and Soho combo upscaling (see NYC) because of its light industrial buildings, low rises, and probably zoned in some way that might make it possible for some residential occupancies.

No trees; but lots of activity on the Strip for coffee, stuff and lots and lots of food, including 10-3 on Sunday.

I didn't see those co-ops because frankly an illegally parked car, with out of state plates, had me somewhat nervous.

Here's a great site with drop down menus of all businesses in the strip:

http://www.neighborsinthestrip.com/

I'll return and find a better way to spend more time down there and see what else I discover.

Last edited by ontheroad; 04-03-2007 at 04:07 PM..

Old 04-03-2007, 04:20 PM

A standard peril for innercity Pittsburgh is the traffic, the roads, and the drivers--so if you intend to drive, think about what kind of vehicle you want to own and operate. I have a very old SUV, small sized, and I often feel as if I am on a cyclone in Coney Island as I bounce along the streets. I also drive stick--a negative for cities in general. Glad I just got a new clutch!

Pittsburgh like many cities just seems to have bad roads--nearly all over, and in some areas worse than others. Like other older cities, some of the brickwork is still only partially paved over or not paved at all....a suspension nightmare.

Signs are good, but you can still get lost, or at least I can (as mentioned above). And Penn Circle can throw a less attentive person--taking you somewhere I've never been (others can surely tell where, but not me).

Drivers, well, just think again about Coney Island and the bumper cars, and you have a picture of how many drive in the city. One lane, two lanes, it doesn't matter, just watch out! If you don't have an image of Coney Island, think about how taxis swerve in NYC movies.

Not bike friendly, in my view. It can be done, but at what cost?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,650,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Not bike friendly, in my view. It can be done, but at what cost?
But the sunny weather was beautiful today for a bike ride!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,745,492 times
Quote:
I also drive stick--a negative for cities in general.
ESPECIALLY clutch-scorching hill-hells like Pittsburgh. One of my cars has 157K miles on it with the original clutch, having spent all its life in the table-flat midwest. I can't imagine that ever happening there.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:21 AM

Actually the weather was divine (yesterday) and I saw at least 5 bike riders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
But the sunny weather was beautiful today for a bike ride!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:23 AM

Well, I must admit my 162,000 miles were mostly mountains--and rolling hills. It's not the hills that get me, it's all the traffic and stop and go intersections I forgot about after living in a town the size of an ant-hill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
ESPECIALLY clutch-scorching hill-hells like Pittsburgh. One of my cars has 157K miles on it with the original clutch, having spent all its life in the table-flat midwest. I can't imagine that ever happening there.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:27 AM

Shall I continue with other areas, or let it rest?

Don't want to clog the board with non-sense?

Old 04-04-2007, 02:54 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,428,333 times
Quote:
Shall I continue with other areas, or let it rest?

Don't want to clog the board with non-sense?
Please continue! This is cool. Wish you had pics though.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:01 PM

255 posts, read 1,099,212 times
Thumbs up Hill District

I agree that you should continue.

How about doing the Hill District next?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh