Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:59 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,794 times

Advertisements

Since we were talking about insurance for roof rakers, it got me thinking about metal roofs.

Personally I love the look of them.
I would eventually like to have one here. I have three skylights as well...is that a big issue?

I would love to hear the pros and cons of a metal roof.

Thanks and looking forward to all your insights as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 06:24 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Metal roofs shed snow well. When a foot of packed snow comes off that roof you don't want anything of value near it. It can kill your kid, wreck your car and tear off the vent pipe on the roof. Your entrance should not be where the snow slides off. You should not use a metal roof where there are gables. At the locastion of any skylight, the area above the skylight must be elevated so the snow will glide right over the skylight. Otherwise you'll have a dam that will eventually cause a leak.

Other than that, you're good to go with a metal roof.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:47 AM

333 posts, read 873,767 times
Mine was easy, no obstruction except stink pipe and a standard cap fit over it. Roof vents and skylights would create a whole bunch of problems that I don't think I could have done without pro. advice,and the proper tools they have.. But there are numerous types of metal roofs. Mine was the easiest but I've seen some of the seamless types put on by professional installers on some pretty complicated roof with dormers and skylights..

Old 01-16-2008, 10:38 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Actually the snow coming off a roof will not bother an electrical entrance at all. Meter base w/ meter sticks out less than the eves do on the VAST majority of homes. Where the overhead line hooks to the house is VERY secure and I have NEVER in 26 years of being an Electrician had to re-attach a Service Entrance wire that has been pulled off the home by ice coming off any style roof. Hooked by a passing dump truck with the bed raised (3 times), Pole snapping and pulling it off (2 times), Having a teen-ager swinging off it from his upstairs bedroom window, and bouncing while hanging there (once, bet he NEVER did it again either), House hit by a sheriff's car (once , still laughing about that), but never from Ice off the roof.

If you have dormers, skylights, or a couple of Valleys on your roof then you need to have a pro install the metal roof. All of that can, and is, worked around in Maine by pros installing metal roofing.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:57 PM

I wasn't even entertaining a DIY project with the roof...I'm just learning basics now.

It just doesn't seem like there's too many negatives with a metal roof done right.

I think this roof is about 14 years old...roughly how long should it last (regular asphalt shingled roof)? Can you put a metal roof right over this type of roof or does it need to be stripped?

Thanks all...

Old 01-16-2008, 01:22 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
I wasn't even entertaining a DIY project with the roof...I'm just learning basics now.

It just doesn't seem like there's too many negatives with a metal roof done right.

I think this roof is about 14 years old...roughly how long should it last (regular asphalt shingled roof)? Can you put a metal roof right over this type of roof or does it need to be stripped?

Thanks all...
Asphalt shingles may be warranteed up to 25 years, so whether they need to be replaced depends on the quality of the shingles installed and how much they have weathered.

I don't know if they *need* to be stripped.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Asphalt shingles may be warranteed up to 25 years, so whether they need to be replaced depends on the quality of the shingles installed and how much they have weathered.

I don't know if they *need* to be stripped.
I can't really think of a reason why they would need to be stripped either.

I don't know what type of shingle is on the roof? Guess we'll have to see when/if we spring a leak. Thanks Zymer.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:46 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:

I don't know what type of shingle is on the roof? Guess we'll have to see when/if we spring a leak.
If that information wasn't provided when you bought the house, I think there are ways of estimating- basically judging how much of the colored gravel coating has worn of.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:58 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:

Thanks all...
i havent seen a metal roof be placed right on top of shingles,,ive seen a second layer of shingles be placed on top of the first layer.
im seeing the so-called architectural shingles being used a lot,
shingles can take a beating in maine, temp fluctuations, humidity, ice build up, etc. 20 yrs is usually the average lifespan for most asphalt shingles, even the "40 year" asphalt shingles.

always try to get a reference,,before you hire a roofer, unless you know them personally..

Old 01-16-2008, 03:11 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I had a stink pipe going up through our metal roof. [had past tense]

We have amazing huge sheets of ice and snow sliding off our roof sometimes.

Last week they came down and snapped our propane fuel lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine