Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 07:37 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,413 times

Advertisements

I had a Subaru wagon yearssss ago and loved it! I swear- you could not get the thing stuck !
I traded it in when I needed a vehicle with more head room once I got into Borzoi.
Honestly though- they are a great car!

( hmm maybe I should look into getting one as a second car. Won't transport one of my dogs, but at least get the errands done better than my cargo van.... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 10:14 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,128,200 times
This morning I remembered that when I'm backing up in a snow bank and the car stalls, its time to turn off the traction control. Restarted it with the TC off, and car pulled right through the deep snow like it was dry pavement.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:55 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
This morning I remembered that when I'm backing up in a snow bank and the car stalls, its time to turn off the traction control. Restarted it with the TC off, and car pulled right through the deep snow like it was dry pavement.
I've often wondered what purpose traction control serves, myself. When it's actually slippery out, it always seems to be much more of a hindrance than a help.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:31 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I've often wondered what purpose traction control serves, myself. When it's actually slippery out, it always seems to be much more of a hindrance than a help.
Typically its only good for rain- and even then- its rather problematic if one gets into a real hydroplane event...

Old 02-24-2015, 04:43 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Typically its only good for rain- and even then- its rather problematic if one gets into a real hydroplane event...
That may be your experience, but I happen to love the traction control on my GMC. I really don't need the four wheel drive most of the time. It works just as it's supposed to.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:10 PM

631 posts, read 749,028 times
This might seem to be off-topic, I guess. Where can you learn to drive in snow nearby University of Maine - Orono?

Old 02-25-2015, 07:29 AM

565 posts, read 934,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
This might seem to be off-topic, I guess. Where can you learn to drive in snow nearby University of Maine - Orono?
Find a big empty parking lot that hasnt been plowed yet.

Back to the OP:

I-95 closed due to pileup involving more than 40 vehicles — Bangor — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

I also wish everyone would learn to drive in the snow, like everyone else in this thread I am not the problem, it's everyone else....

Old 02-25-2015, 08:03 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,921,731 times
When I lived in the mountains I directed people to go to parking lots , and learn how to handle them selves in the snow .
Some listen, some don't.
I rarely got stuck with my 2 WD vehicles ,but I had been driving in the mountains 40 years.
I agree there are some folk that do not' belong on the highway especially if it rains or snows ,either scared or crazy. or both.
People don't respect one another, is most of the problem.
If they did there wouldn't be this issue.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:29 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
Coming from Ceres, Ca; my Dw and I both live to hit empty parking lots after the first snow storm. From year to year, your tires will be different, your brakes and alignment may be different, etc. We think that the best policy is to go practice at the beginning of each snow season.

We taught each of our children to drive. When it came to winter driving they were each timid and wanted to avoid it. We provided encouragement and 'made them' do it.

Today we live fairly close to the UM-Orono campus. Last week I was playing in the Page Farm parking lot. The Steam Power Plant parking lot, would be a good place [when the Farmer's Market is not there].

The Old Town highschool has two parking lots, the one further away from the building is good at night, or on weekends.

The YMCA has a big parking lot, but it is hard to time when it will be empty.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:53 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,902,091 times
People drive way too fast for conditions in snow, most of the time. I bet that 90% of the vehicles involved in today's I-95 crash were going too fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine