Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 02:41 PM

21 posts, read 71,277 times

Advertisements

I've never been to maine but I have family moving there and I may join them in a year or so.
caribou area..

Is it hard to get a license to hunt moose and what is a subpermitee?

same question goes for hunting deer.

If I don't buy enough land to hunt on is it hard to find a place that is legal to hunt?

Where I live you don't need a license to hunt on land that you own. is that true for maine?
any wild turkey?
I read somewhere that you can be put in for an aution for a moose license where it goes to the highest bidder. How much do you usually have to bid to win...
I know there is a lotery for moose. Here you just go buy a license and your good to go. Is there anything in maine that I can hunt just by going to the sporting goods store and buying a license?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 04:13 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,030 times
Tourists!
Just kidding.

Here you go...
http://www.maine.gov/ifw/

Old 01-01-2008, 04:37 PM

HEY....I'm not looking to be just a Tourist!......
Thanks Alisonl...I still had a few questions though.
what is a subpermitee?
How much do you think I would have to bid to win one of the 10 or so license to hunt moose?
In Northern VA if you don't know someone with land it's hard to find a place to hunt. Very few would give permission to hunt on there land if you don't know them well, and public lands have too many hunters. Is it the same way near caribou?
I take it that with the exception of moose it is fairly easy to obtain a hunting license in maine

Old 01-01-2008, 04:42 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,030 times
Moose hunting is by permit only. You fill out an application and send it in with a fee and they draw names "out of a hat" so to speak. There is plenty of land available to hunt in Maine. You should be able to get the booklet with all hunting laws from the dept of inland fisheries and wildlife. What you hunt will be determined by what time of year you are in Maine.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:51 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Around Caribou there are literally thousands and thousands of acres to hunt. Easy to get a hunting license, you need to get them at your town office. This fall out deer hunting I saw exactly 1 other hunter out in the woods, and we were hunting together . I'm not too sure of how much you have to pay to get in on the permits that you can bid on. Far out of my range though.

I like to go out to The North Maine Woods to go deer hunting because my brother leaves his camper out there and we just stay in that. Out there you can go for mile after mile and not cross a road, trail, nothing. A compass, Topo map, and scouting is your best friend. Doesn't hurt to have a GPS for back-up and conformation of position.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:51 PM

thanks guys. , Bydand it sounds like you could really get lost up there. Did you have any luck this year?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xshadowx View Post
thanks guys. , Bydand it sounds like you could really get lost up there. Did you have any luck this year?
Nope, but then again we didn't try too hard either. Saw a couple, but was a bit further than I wanted to drag the buggers so I let them get bigger (and closer to camp) for next year. I'll see if I can find an overhead shot of the area we hunt with a satellite view, just to give some perspective of the size of the area thet is open to explore all summer and hunt all fall.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:42 PM

Here are a couple I found of the area we hang out in mostly. The color one has a few place names on it, the only one that has anything is Garfield Plantation, it has a couple of houses. The "crossings" are just that, places where logging roads cross each other. The black and white is a bit closer and the area I saw a real big buck this year. Far more Moose than deer though. In the black and white you can see a few old skidder trails and just the edge of the "main" road back there up in the upper left corner. In the color one the light color patches are clear cuts.
The color one shows an area about 32 X 14 miles (448 square miles)
The Black and white an area about 3.9 X 1.8 miles (Just over 7 square miles)
Attached Thumbnails
hunting questions new to maine-hunting-grounds-2-large-.jpg   hunting questions new to maine-hunting-grounds-1-large-.jpg  

Old 01-02-2008, 05:50 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,904 times
Wink Moose auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by xshadowx View Post
HEY....I'm not looking to be just a Tourist!......
Thanks Alisonl...I still had a few questions though.
what is a subpermitee?
How much do you think I would have to bid to win one of the 10 or so license to hunt moose?
In Northern VA if you don't know someone with land it's hard to find a place to hunt. Very few would give permission to hunt on there land if you don't know them well, and public lands have too many hunters. Is it the same way near caribou?
I take it that with the exception of moose it is fairly easy to obtain a hunting license in maine
The open bid moose permits run over $10k by now. The Penobscots also started an auction in the last year or so. The sub permitee is chosen by the successful permitee when they receive the initial paperwork. Out of state residents can buy blocks of chances for a set price. They try to give you the area or zone of your choice. Somewhere in the Maine photo thread is picture of rutting moose I posted in the Presque Isle area.

There are millions of acres open to hunting, some requiring a fee and some not. Turkeys require a separate permit. They are overrunning the place. We have tons of deer, partridge, rabbits and hares.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:11 AM

455 posts, read 1,228,451 times
Bydand, Thanks for that post. My hubby will be so glad to hear about the hunting. He hunted in Maine when he was in his mid teens to late twenties, then we moved to Florida. He tried a couple times down here- But the wild boar that ran at him with those teeth showing and then the alligators,brown recluse spiders and watermoccacins have pretty much kept him out of the woods (NO...not woods= scrub land or everglades) for years now. Every Nov. he gets the hunting bug and drives everyone crazy wishing for it. He will be there this next season and will be VERY interested to read your post when he gets home from work tonight. and, hopefully you know that I think you are just great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine