Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 05:14 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times

Advertisements

It isn't June yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 06:48 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
It isn't June yet!
Lol. That might be said in the future more often. But Bangor doesn't get snow in May. Neither does Caribou for that matter. Rare.

Most number of times Caribou got 3" or more in APRIL was 3 times in 1982. So even not common in April especially past mid April.

Afrer April 15th Caribou only got 3 inches or more 5 times since 1990.

Sure we can find times it snowed in April and May but again, not common to see and that's what makes this an interesting possible event.

Higher elevation a different story and that's why I said harder to call "surface" snow. The hills could get a decent amount next week. We'll see.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:07 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
I went thru newry Friday to upton and errol on rte 26

still a lot of snow on the ground compared to where I am

today looks to be a beautiful day!!

Old 04-19-2015, 06:27 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
Am soooooo tired of the cold weather do NOT want to see ANYMORE snow.....period!! It has started out cloudy and cool today in central Maine but am seeing breaks in the clouds. Really! Am I EVER going to be able to turn off the furnace??? Last night it got down to freezing and here it is April 19th? I am really beginning to believe that stuff about a "mini ice-age" caused by the absence of sun spots. Long cold winters, short rainy cool summers.......

Old 04-19-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
I am really beginning to believe that stuff about a "mini ice-age" caused by the absence of sun spots. Long cold winters, short rainy cool summers.......
Oh yeah, something that's ignored too much and something we don't know enough of... The Sun. Can't get into it all in 1 post but the sun is the quietest in 200yrs and we're about to drop down in the cycle again.. In 2009 NASA wrote about it. Deep Solar Minimum. Look at the graphic posted. We didn't even peak as high as thought in this current cycle last year.

Plus the fact that NASA acknowledged the globe has been "COOLING" since 2000

"recent eruptions could be responsible for decreasing global temperatures by 0.05 to 0.12 degrees Celsius (0.09 to 0.22 degrees Fahrenheit) since 2000."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Am I EVER going to be able to turn off the furnace??? Last night it got down to freezing and here it is April 19th?
Just imagine if this happens again

Old 04-19-2015, 05:09 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,304 times
We have been enjoying the sunny weather, and rather surprised that in a 2 and half week time frame- we went from a foot plus snow pack down to grass.
Yesterday, however, we were surprised to see so much snow pack in the foods as we were trying to find our dogs that got loose.
Locals are commenting on the fishing as well. Its been just cold enough that the salmon run, as as well as other fish , are later to feed.

All I can say is that we have grass.. its brown and no buds on the trees yet- but its grass

Old 04-20-2015, 05:24 AM

Default Snow fall Totals 2014-15

Top Snowfall Totals for the state of Maine. Let me know if you guys want me to put together the next tier down. Obviously this might not be the final numbers if more snow falls. Snow season ends June 30.

Here are some other states and areas if interested.

Looks like Robbinston, ME is the winner with 196.8" of snow.

WBAN = the main Climo sites, ie: Bangor, Caribou, ect
COOP and CocoRaHS are sometimes sketchy as they don't report with each storm but most are good

Old 04-20-2015, 08:12 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
Thanks a lot Cambium. I am NOT trying to be an alarmist or such. Have heard/read a lot about the solar minimum and all I can say is, if that's where we are truly headed than wife and I will be leaving New England as soon as she finishes school.

Last edited by DauntlessDan; 04-20-2015 at 09:01 AM..

Old 04-20-2015, 09:32 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
The ice is moving on the St. John and parts of the Mattawamkeag River. This latest hydrology report is from this morning.

".HYDROLOGY...
THE ICE JAM AT WASHBURN APPEARS TO HAVE BROKEN UP AND WATER
LEVELS ARE DROPPING AT THE WASHBURN GAUGE EARLY THIS MORNING. THE
ICE JAM AT FORT FAIRFIELD HAS BROKEN UP AND FLOODING HAS SUBSIDED
ALONG RIVERSIDE AVENUE IN FORT FAIRFIELD. ICE MOVEMENT CONTINUES
ON THE ST. JOHN RIVER. A FLOOD ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE
SAINT JOHN RIVER BETWEEN MADAWASKA AND VAN BUREN DUE TO AN ICE
JAM. FLOOD WARNINGS ALSO REMAIN IN EFFECT AT WASHBURN AND
MATTAWAMKEAG AND WILL REMAIN UP UNTIL WE CAN EVALUATE THE RIVER
CONDITIONS LATER THIS MORNING."

The Mattawmakeg is the only river flooding at the moment. In that area there is a lot of snow in the woods and there is rain in the forecast. The river is rising right now and with the heavy rain forecast it could rise a lot. People in Mattawamkeag and Wytopitlock understand this and will not be surprised. Here is a link to the river level in Mattawamkeag:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/uv?site_no=01030500

And a link to many rivers in Maine:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/rt

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 04-20-2015 at 09:42 AM..

Old 04-20-2015, 11:56 AM

Glancing at the latest weather models, the Chilly pattern might stay for a good week. After Wednesday through the weekend into mid next week. Then we get back to normal.

Big coastal storm showing up around the 28th. Too early to know who it will impact.

1.40" of rain in my rain gauge today. That rain is coming to you guys now. Here's the midday temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine