Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:25 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,228,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
No, it is included into my building permit.
I thought you built from scratch. I was addressing the conversion of a seasonal residence to a primary residence in a shoreland zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 08:58 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,452,695 times
"Shoreland areas include areas within 250 of the normal high-water line of any great pond, river or saltwater body, areas within 250 feet of the upland edge of a coastal wetland, areas within 250 feet of the upland edge of a freshwater wetland except in certain situations, and areas within 75 feet of the high-water line of a stream."

My house is not within 'Shoreland Areas'. We sit about twenty feet from the 'Shoreland Areas'.

Once you are beyond the 250 foot set-back, then the rules open up a great deal.

From my current dealings with LURC, as well as what I have learned from my local neighbors; If I were to purchase a pre-existing 'seasonal' dwelling, I would: insulate it, plumb it, wire it, and setup a mail box.

Lisa Whynot will be in contact soon enough to adjust your land's assessed value.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,863 times
I own a place located in "Waldo county" Maine. I did go to the town to pull permit for a 120 Sq foot shed. paid for the permit, I was first told that it would be ok, now I am being told it is not. The only reason that I want this shed is to protect my personal belongings so that they do not get stolen while I am not around. I own my land and not happy about this. Is there anything that I can do like get a lawyer and drag the towns ass into court? Sick of this BS and I have had enough with people telling my what I can and can not do with property that I own and pay taxes on it. Does anyone know what I can do to get around this?

Old 09-07-2010, 01:15 PM

625 posts, read 793,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post

Lakefront with at least 50 acres is what I'm in the market for.

Well the screen name makes much more sense now.. LOL

Old 09-07-2010, 03:10 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,439,016 times
Maineguy, this thread was started 3 years ago. Maybe ClownShoes already found his property.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:48 PM

Perhaps Clownshoes is now too busy living the good life

Old 09-07-2010, 04:54 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,701,288 times
Indeed, he is. After a few false starts and disappointing experiences Clownshoes posted here. He said what he wanted and we went out on snowshoes to look at what he said he wanted. "This is IT" he said. Happens all the time. He built a really nice barn, had a well drilled and is making good progress toward his dream.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 09-07-2010 at 05:02 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 05:00 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,701,288 times
Now on to "Unknown Person".

I have been on planning boards in Maine since 1974. Yes, 36 years. Send me an E-mail or a PM and I can help you solve this problem too. It's what I do. I am not a lawyer and don't play one on TV, but the law was written for the common man as our founding fathers intended it to be in our founding documents.

It's the government functionaries who imagine they have powers they do not have that pervert the laws.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Indeed, he is. After as few false starts and disappointing experiences Clownshoes posted here. He said what he wanted and we went out on snowshoes to look at what he said he wanted. "This is IT" he said. Happens all the time. He built a really nice barn, had a well drilled and is making good progress toward his dream.
That is great!

"I love it when a plan comes together" as someone used to say.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:27 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,089,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Person View Post
I own a place located in "Waldo county" Maine. I did go to the town to pull permit for a 120 Sq foot shed. paid for the permit, I was first told that it would be ok, now I am being told it is not. The only reason that I want this shed is to protect my personal belongings so that they do not get stolen while I am not around. I own my land and not happy about this. Is there anything that I can do like get a lawyer and drag the towns ass into court? Sick of this BS and I have had enough with people telling my what I can and can not do with property that I own and pay taxes on it. Does anyone know what I can do to get around this?
I don't know why you dredged up a dead, three-year-old thread that doesn't really pertain to your topic instead of starting a new one, but...if it were me I'd have just gone ahead and built the shed without asking anyone's permission...and after what you described I'd go ahead and build it anyway and tell them to get bent.

But that's me and my "I'll do what I want on my own property" attitude. I wouldn't recommend someone else doing it unless they are prepared for a battle and in the mood to enjoy one.

If you wanted to be a little less confrontational, you could find out what the size requirements are that would allow you to build a shed without pulling a permit...then build two of them...side-by-side, either touching or a distance apart that you might see as a good size for your future needs...later, cut a doorway to connect them and/or build additional walls to connect them. Depends on whether you'd rather be sneaky or "in your face". There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine